2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Exclamation Chiller FAQ

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Here's a faq for your chiller questions, since there is yet to be a sticky on this.

Am sharing my knowledge of chillers after having experience with resun,teco and hailea chillers as well as learning from people in the chiller business. Hope the following will clarify some of the most commonly asked questions.

Waterflowrate for chillers:
    Chillers have specified flowrates. Misconception that a higher flowrate=better cooling ability. The explanation is in the temp probe.(refer to temp probe for explanation)

The minimal flowrate specified on the chiller is to prevent the water in the water tank from freezing up. Different chillers have different minimal flowrate as chilling power(measured by heat removal in hp) differs.

Chiller kick in frequency is dependent on the following factors:
    -Placement of temp probe
    -Volume of tank to chiller capacity and temp setting
    -Insulation
    -Placement of chiller
    -Environmental conditions

Temperature probe -

Factory placement of temperature probe affects chiller kick in frequency. Let me illustrate, for resun and hailea chillers, the temperature probe is placed inside the water tank. So if your flowrate is low, the probe will pick up the temp in the tank and cut off prematurely(e.g Main tank 26deg water tank 25deg) Result: more frequent kick ins but shorter intervals

For more luxurious Chiller brands, Teco and Arctica, the temperature probe is at the inlet of the water tank. It measures the temperature coming from the main tank itself. Chiller will run at full length and the kick out duration is thus longer. Result: Fewer kick ins but longer intervals

To Prolong Chiller lifespan, we want to minimise the total number of kick ins. Solution is to reconfigure the chiller to have an external temp probe to be placed in the tank itself. This will lead to longer kick out periods as well and less temp variations

Volume of tank to chiller capacity and temp setting-

To ensure your chiller is not underpowered, be sure to do your homework before committing to one. Check your water volume, the desired temp against the chiller's recommendations. Underpowered chillers will lead to overheating of the chiller due to long periods of kick in and shorter lifespan. If you are using underpowered and have a sump, connect the chiller within the sump tank. In this way you are cooling the sump tank volume periodically and not the entire volume of water constantly.

Insulation

Thicker glass tanks, insulation material around the tank and pipes will help to extend the kick out period.

Placement of chiller

To ensure chiller efficiency always make sure there is no airflow obstruction at the chiller air output. Place it facing open space if possible, otherwise have space of minima 1ft from wall

Environmental conditions

Ambient temp, heat from lightings, placement of tank in house will affect the heat exchange

Chiller maintainence

A well functioning chiller should not require gas top up as the end is factory sealed. If there is a gas leak, it can often be hard to trace and costly to repair.

The fan should kick in immediately when chiller kicks in. Otherwise it is a sign that it is beginning to fail and will need replacement.

The air filter should be frequently washed as not to restrict air flow

The chiller should be emiting warm/hot air at the air outflow. IF not, it is a sign that there is no/low gas

Flushing can be done by reversing the in and outflow of water to flush out any debri in the water tank.

Chillers for saltwater use can be converted to freshwater. Do heavy flushing of water in same waterflow or reverse flush. Alternatively some chiller maintainance and reefers have used vinegar to cleanse the water tank.

Chiller running cost

Different Chiller brands have different current drawing throughout the chilling period. Some have a high starting drawing current. Others are constant. By having external temperature probe, would be able to reduce frequency of kick ins.

A well insulated tank with 10mm glass and correct chiller hp would be looking at around 30mins kick in and 1.5-2hrs kick out.

Using underpowered chiller will have dire consequence on kwh. However, using an overpowered chiller seem to have same cost.

Temperature setting
    Thermostat
    Some chillers only have 1deg temp variance or greater. Certain chillers have no decimal placing for the temp reading. If you want precise control of temp, get a thermostat add on(comes with external temp probe). Can be purchased from SLT. Also have other features if the need arises.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Chiller FAQ

Wah thanks for sharing

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Country
    Singapore

very professional explain, am setting up a shrimp tank and needs to know which chiller is ok. thanks!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro thanks for the detailed explanation. Great knowledge to prep me for my first chiller.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can a chiller actually be safely placed on it side as long as the air intake and the exhaust is not blocked? I have been trying to find the answer to this but have been getting differing answers. I am still waiting for Teco and Hailea to get back to me on this fact.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

at the present moment, my thermostat set to kick in at 23.5c and stop at 25c. difference is 1.5c.
    just wondering what is the usual or recommended difference in temp?

thanks
    Brandon Ong

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Some chillers have different differential settings which can toggle the temp variance. I think what you actually meant was that your chiller kicks in at 25 and stops at 23.5
    The usual setting is 1 deg difference, but does not mean that 1.5 is bad.
    Check your manual or google for manuals for your chiller model could aid you in changing this setting
    Quote Originally Posted by branong View Post
    at the present moment, my thermostat set to kick in at 23.5c and stop at 25c. difference is 1.5c.
    just wondering what is the usual or recommended difference in temp?

thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Generally not recommended for several reasons, these commercial chillers are designed to reduce vibrations when the chiller is in operation to reduce noise as well as not to upset the refrigerant in the coils.
    The water tank is also designed for properly water circulation in upright placement. Displacing chiller on its axis may not completely fill up the tank which can affect temp readings and cooling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliverpool View Post
    Can a chiller actually be safely placed on it side as long as the air intake and the exhaust is not blocked? I have been trying to find the answer to this but have been getting differing answers. I am still waiting for Teco and Hailea to get back to me on this fact.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

My chiller is Resun CL-450 which has its manufacturer origin temperature setting of 2C difference. Is it good or bad? I can't find a setting to adjust it to 1C.

My tank volume is 150L, ambient room temp is 31-32, I set my chiller to 24C so it will kicks in at 26C and it will kicks in for about 30-60 minutes depends on night and day and kicks off for about 3-4 hours depends on night and day, is it normal?

One more question, how do you guys water change your tank that using chiller (tank temp around 24-26) meanwhile your water source is 28-30C? Will this stress your flora and fauna?

Thank you in advance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi stevenlau,

For resun chillers the preset is 2 deg. It is mostly up to individual preference.
    Normally for chillers with setting of 1 deg variance, it should ideally kick in for 30-45 mins.
    Kick out time depends on alot of external variables independent of chiller. A (kick in :kick out) ratio of 1:2 is pretty decent for your power woes. [1 deg var setting]

Normally, do not try to change large amounts of water at one go, as it could shock fauna. Recommended if possible to do partial routine changes, and/or use a drip method if possible to slowly introduce new water into the tank

Quote Originally Posted by stevenlau View Post
    My chiller is Resun CL-450 which has its manufacturer origin temperature setting of 2C difference. Is it good or bad? I can't find a setting to adjust it to 1C.

My tank volume is 150L, ambient room temp is 31-32, I set my chiller to 24C so it will kicks in at 26C and it will kicks in for about 30-60 minutes depends on night and day and kicks off for about 3-4 hours depends on night and day, is it normal?

One more question, how do you guys water change your tank that using chiller (tank temp around 24-26) meanwhile your water source is 28-30C? Will this stress your flora and fauna?

Thank you in advance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

Thank you Cross for your explanation.

A drip method is too dire to perform, I will try to off the chiller from the night if the next day I'll do a WC to let the temp slowly go to 28-29 and at the next day the tank water temp has match with the source water temp that I'll use to WC but maybe I have to re-setting the chiller maybe to 27C first and the next day 25C in order not to stress the fauna for cooling the water 4C in couples of hours?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Temperature changes of 1-2 deg is common in the natural habitats due to rain etc.
    So long as the water change is not too large of a volume(>50%), most fauna should be fine.
    Unless you're keeping sensitive fauna such as crs, for example, then, perhaps it would be best to exercise prudence when water change is concerned.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi

I will be getting my first chiller, would appreciate if seniors around could provide advice on whether a new chiller need any kind of flushing? Apparently to flush out any contaminants inside the chiller tank.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Newbie Humble

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Humble,

Perhaps just run water through the chiller for a few minutes will suffice? No need for vinegar/backflush for new chillers.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    Hi Humble,

Perhaps just run water through the chiller for a few minutes will suffice? No need for vinegar/backflush for new chillers.
    Bro Cross

Thanks for the advice

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

On an average how much will a chiller add to the electricity bill?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Im also interested to know..

Just back from seaview and saw the cheapest chiller for a 2ft tank also in the range of 3xx...

Quote Originally Posted by leefhker View Post
    On an average how much will a chiller add to the electricity bill?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

for me around $10 a months for 3ft tank
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I guess that's okay.. my wife had been nagging at me on the bill already.. with all these potential gadgets, i might even have to sleep with my fan on..

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    for me around $10 a months for 3ft tank

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Just get those power usage meter from diy shop and measure the piwer used by your chiller for a month.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast