Images
    Country
    Singapore

Outing no3 for 2010

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    With the recent successful run of outing no3, I was thinking of organizing one more for may/June period. Hence, I text Desmond and suggested that we pay Raffles Museum a visit as I believe many of us have never been there.

But I was also thinking of doing something different this round and that is something non-aquatic in nature.. Something along the line of a trek through our central catchement/henderson waves or even a simple visit to hort park.

Also, desmond suggested organising a viva/palu workshop.

Guys, I need inputs and suggestions for I believe that more brains are better than one. Hence, may i humbly ask one and all for your participation in ways that you deemed best for you at your convenience.
    Last edited by Simon; 2nd Mar 2010 at 16:33.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Outing no3 for 2010

actually i kinda prefer if the outing was aquatic-related, but that's just me. I don't mind a viva/palu workshop cos i think the harmony of land and water is very nice. also keeping amphibians are just cool.

i don't mind a trek through the central catchment area though. sounds like it could be fun.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I vote a visit to the Raffles Museum, Hortpark and a trek through the reservoir. I wouldn't mind a workshop on vivarium if any experts would like to share their methods.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

think a trek through what nature has to offer will be good.
    as well as can "see and feel" some materials.

BTW, AL76 you got good experience with the nature reserve or maybe good places to see ?
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe, we need to try hiking. Try to hike from Bukit Timah Hill to reservoir and back. You sure feel nature deep inside your heart.

Need a guide for this trip? mind you this is 24km walk to and fro.:O
    Last edited by Simon; 2nd Mar 2010 at 19:36.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

-die-

24km?

-die again-

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by edwardchuajh View Post
    -die-

24km?

-die again-
    Guess eddy reminded you of something
    If your happy you only feel tired but moral is high and you'll keep going.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    think a trek through what nature has to offer will be good.
    as well as can "see and feel" some materials.

BTW, AL76 you got good experience with the nature reserve or maybe good places to see ?

I ever saw a pangolin inside the reserve and while i was near the reservoirs, I saw the empty of a MBT...

From the result of the poll, seems to me that the trek is very popular.

For the trek, there is also this clearing between Bukit Timah and the reservoir( near Dairy Farm) where there is this very very huge granite hill with trees all round... I think I have the pics...

I also ever saw five band bard in the shallow waters also...
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    I ever saw a pangolin inside the reserve and while i was near the reservoirs, I saw the empty of a MBT...

From the result of the poll, seems to me that the trek is very popular.

For the trek, there is also this clearing between Bukit Timah and the reservoir( near Dairy Farm) where there is this very very huge granite hill with trees all round... I think I have the pics...

I also ever saw five band bard in the shallow waters also...

Wow you saw those !!! David

I only seen 2-3 wilds in a few occasions whenever I hiked with my children in Bt Timah or hike to reservoir, a pack of porcupines, scorpions and few black cobras crossed our path! I must admitted that i attempted to catch the black cobra but alas i didnt wear my huge black sunglass to protect my eyes been shoot at. Next time..Hor!

Whereas, folks, i dont mind to share with you guys how to capture scorpions within the woods but I wont show you how if i come along with this outing.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Guys, I'm sure we're all very enthusiastic about the next outing and even the Hike, but let's bear in mind that we're not supposed to catch anything from the wild as that would be considered as poaching and the places that we're hiking through will normally have Park rangers or NEA officers walking around...

I had a friend catch a snakehead some where in MacRitchie Reservoir and he was spotted by a park ranger and fine $150 if I'm not wrong... that's an expensive snakehead

Eddy > not all cobras shoot at you, only the Equatorial Spittng Cobra (Naja sumatrana) will shoot at you, and their "spit" have a range of 2 metres so yeah beware of them... the other King Cobra (Ophiophagus hannah) are usually much larger with yellow bands...
    Last edited by dkk08; 3rd Mar 2010 at 09:41.
    “Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”
    "If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."
    - Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!
    DeZ aka Desmond

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by dkk08 View Post
    Hi Guys, I'm sure we're all very enthusiastic about the next outing and even the Hike, but let's bear in mind that we're not supposed to catch anything from the wild as that would be considered as poaching and the places that we're hiking through will normally have Park rangers or NEA officers walking around...

I had a friend catch a snakehead some where in MacRitchie Reservoir and he was spotted by a park ranger and fine $150 if I'm not wrong... that's an expensive snakehead

Eddy > not all cobras shoot at you, only the Equatorial Spittng Cobra (Naja sumatrana) will shoot at you, and their "spit" have a range of 2 metres so yeah beware of them... the other King Cobra (Ophiophagus hannah) are usually much larger with yellow bands...
    Agreed. Infact during my monthly retreat to the reserves, i always see them moving them(the rangers) around.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Black Cobra or Equatorial Spittng Cobra is the same black colour , lah! I had encountered this so many time even caught a few times with great success in the past. I used to sold them to Chinese medical halls for RM30 each in my hometown, Malaysia.

For King cobra, always found along stream where is the coolest place in Malaysia jungle. So far there is no king around in Singapore.

We can always do some bird watching, photography those critters rather than searching for those exotic nocturnal animals.

We always ask our expert, Simon the chief mod to come along to join us for photo shooting and he 's got very sharp eyes to spot Tazier in the jungle if possible.

Simon, care to join us for this hike and photo shooting trip?
    Last edited by eddy planer; 3rd Mar 2010 at 11:32.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Why did your friend need to catch a snakehead there?

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

aiya! Felix

Dont probe into that, lah, Desmond only just share what happening, maybe he is the friend .
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

apparently he spotted a rare species

Eddy > not me lar I not into snakeheads
    - Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!
    DeZ aka Desmond

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eddy planer View Post
    Black Cobra or Equatorial Spittng Cobra is the same black colour , lah! I had encountered this so many time even caught a few times with great success in the past. I used to sold them to Chinese medical halls for RM30 each in my hometown, Malaysia.

For King cobra, always found along stream where is the coolest place in Malaysia jungle. So far there is no king around in Singapore.

We can always do some bird watching, photography those critters rather than searching for those exotic nocturnal animals.

We always ask our expert, Simon the chief mod to come along to join us for photo shooting and he 's got very sharp eyes to spot Tazier in the jungle if possible.

Simon, care to join us for this hike and photo shooting trip?
    me? I'm too old for hiking trips

There is new regulation in our nature reserve that off trail tracks are out of bound to visitor and will be served a fine if caught by the rangers. This is also because Nparks want to prevent visitors from trampling in the vegetation and killing young tree sapling. My butterflies photography buddies have to wear a pass when they venturing off the beaten tracks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    me? I'm too old for hiking trips

There is new regulation in our nature reserve that off trail tracks are out of bound to visitor and will be served a fine if caught by the rangers. This is also because Nparks want to prevent visitors from trampling in the vegetation and killing young tree sapling. My butterflies photography buddies have to wear a pass when they venturing off the beaten tracks.
    May I know how do we get the pass to venture off beaten tracks? Apply thru NEA or National Parks?
    - Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!
    DeZ aka Desmond

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Simon,

dont be like that, lah! I'm already 47 still hiking, I just recently scaled 2 mountains( Mt Ophir and Kinabalu) in last 3 months together with my 2 kids and will be going again with my 2 kids to Gunung Rinjani, Lombok this April or early May.

So meanwhile, I'll be going to Mt Ophir again this month with my 2 kids to prepare ourselves to Rinjani mentality and stamina.

So you can do it, our bros will be very happy that you join us for this trip to coach us while you can.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

May I know how do we get the pass to venture off beaten tracks? Apply thru NEA or National Parks?

if there are sufficient interest, i don't mind contacting Sonia of Nparks and ask for permit...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    if there are sufficient interest, i don't mind contacting Sonia of Nparks and ask for permit...
    let's see how it does... I need to start doing some exercise soon too if not don't know how I'm going to go Silk Road in May
    - Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!
    DeZ aka Desmond

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast