Country
    Singapore

Calcium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

So.... I have read in the forum that the recommended ratio of Mg:Ca should be about 1:3. Therefore, if the recommended concentration of Mg is 5ppm, the recommended concentration of Ca should be 15ppm right?

If I want to test whether addition of Ca will solve some of my plants problem, how much coral chips do you guys recommend I should add for a 83l tank? Should the coral chips be contained in a net for easy removal?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The ratio recommended by Tom Barr is 1:4. However, if you're using coral chips, the ratio are slightly difficult to control, since it's a gradual increase of Ca.

Put a small handful will do. If your GH/KH goes too high after a week, it means either your CO2 too high, or you're putting too much of it. You'll need to reduce this amount. Yes, it's up to individual to put net or not.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Reading the signs is more an art than a science. Deficiencies of any one of several nutrients may have common symptoms, like premature yellowing of the leaves. Deficiency of one nutrient may become a limiting factor preventing the uptake of others. In addition, most micronutrients are toxic in high concentrations, and the symptoms of toxicity may be confused with symptoms of deficiency. Finally, some cations compete with one another for uptake, so that an imbalance of ratios may prevent uptake of a competing nutrient.

WetmanNY
    Each plant expresses it's deficency different.
    Not all plants act the same(this is very seldom the case).
    Don't try and compare strawberries to Potamogeton.

Wetman is correct about the art part. It takes time and experience with the plants.

I don't recommend folks to try that path. I still don't trust myself on that path.

I do recommend adding things routinely to keep things from running out to begin with and doing water changes to prevent overdosing/build up.

By the time a deficency expresses it's self, it's too late.

It's just common sense to brush your teeth instead of waiting for cavities

Regards,
    Tom Barr
    Wang, Singapore's water is in good range...do look into your overall regime instead. Judging deficiencies visually can be a bit misleading at times...one nutrient deficiency limiting overall uptake and thus a more obvious deficiency is seen but might not be the actual limiting nutrient. Hope you get it...
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/24/2003 12:47:01 AM

Wang, Singapore's water is in good range...do look into your overall regime instead.
    ----------------
    I think it's OK to increase his Ca/Mg dose. He's just experimenting with one factor at a time as suggested. S'pore water with GH of 3, can easily go low within few days if not supplemented. They're both important macro nutrients. Giving more is better than not enough.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Using powder dolomite might be better, it has both Mg and Ca and CO3, adding all you need for GH and KH.
    The powdered form will dissolve better. CaCO3, the aragonite form, powdered will also dissolve ~okay.
    Better than big old chips.

MgSO4, Epsom salt and CaCl2, Calcium Chloride are also two good salts to use and both dissolve very rapidly. That will get you your GH and baking soda can adjust your KH.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    so far I've heard the use of coral chips to supplement Ca

do seashells achieve a similar effect?