Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: The heat is killing me and my plants!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The heat is killing me and my plants!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Argh! The recent increase in temp has pushed the temp of my tank to 28.5C and the first to go was the moss on my wall! They turned brown and then my val. americana started to dissolved too!

really want to cry! re-did the tank, took out the moss wall and the vals - redistribute my e. tenellus and did a 50% water change since all that movement has clouded the water. since I was at it, cleaned my filter too. Really depressed. []

But on the bright side - my emperor tetra has given birth! only one survivor actually - did plan for it, but it just turned up of no where last week. seems happy - swimming with the rummy noses [] let's hope this one can make it to adulthood.

But SIGH! sim-tia my moss wall...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi anakin,
    ya is quite a heartache to see your plant start dying off after much hardwork to something beyond your control.
    I face the same problem last week too tank temp went up to almost 29degrees and even with 10AC fans can't even lower the temp. So just on monday I finally decide to "bite the bullet" invest in a chiller haha really "heartache" too anyway probly that's a price to pay for every hobby.
    Just hope that the weather will turn cooler next week.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sam, can share which chiller did u get? How much izzit? Me also same fate....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi ivan, i got a hailla 1/2hp should be a taiwanese made from petmart at $1080

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Sam, are you using your chiller on a 4-feet tank? If so, what temp. did you set it at and do you have any idea how much more will it cost on your electricity bill? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Think Sam set his temp to 26C. but Sam, why not tell us the Wattage of the chiller? I was worrying for my plants for some time now - but spending $1k really sim-tia for me. guess I deserve it lor []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I not really sure of the wattage and the cost of my ebill as i only get it a few days ago but as wat anakin had said i set my temp at 26degrees ya i felt very "sim-tia" also to spend 1k but after some deep thoughts since im into this hobby so might as well invest with a chiller lor, y not u goys go look for a 2nd hand chiller must cheaper then brand new, can always go to this website to look for one those reefers always got chiller to let go. Cheers
    http://www.sgreefclub.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    1hp is 743watts. but 1/2hp chiller will be slightly than 371.5watts. this is due to efficiency factor.
    you can try checking the chiller for a label which tells you the chiller power, wattage or current consumption.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dudes... all along my tank temp never drop lower than 29 degree C... infact since the beginning, most of the time running at 30 to 31... how come I got no problem?

I do have Algae Spot Algae, BGA & BBA AND my fishes are weaker, more fatality rate... Since I started 25% lift stock already left the world...
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    High temperature might affect sensitive plants like crypts but the others should be pretty fine if you keep up with its requirements...I don't really see any fuss over this except me sweating like hell...duhz, I need to get myself an aircon fast!

Limsteel, fishes will do well if your plants do well...(Key...high DO level= Given off by plants = Healthy and active fishes).
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've a great solution where the heat is concerned. Finally told my wife to turn on the air-con in the hall for my kids. This way, at least my tank gets to enjoy the air con with my kids. Bill may be slightly higher than just running a chiller but at least more get to enjoy the benefits

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am thinking Aloud... comments welcome...

If a Motor Vehicles can use a radiator to cool down a running engine... Why not we custom make a Aluminium piping in a shape of a radiator then attached a simple fan to blow the piping. A wet towel drab over the metal pipe can reduce the temp further! Would that be cheaper and better?

My concern are
    * there aren't any fins thus cooling may not be as effective!
    * Metal pipes use here can increase the amount of Heavy metal in the water informs of Oxide. Thus I didn't choose Cu (Copper). Is Al also deadly to fishes? Maybe can use steel increase the Fe in the water! no need Fe fert anymore!
    * subsequent cleaning a problem...
    * maybe can buy an actual radiator for the job, but only new ones can be use as 2nd hand ones may contain deadly chems! If new radiator... it may cost more then a chiller!
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    ----------------
    If a Motor Vehicles can use a radiator to cool down a running engine... Why not we custom make a Aluminium piping in a shape of a radiator then attached a simple fan to blow the piping. A wet towel drab over the metal pipe can reduce the temp further! Would that be cheaper and better?
    ----------------
    not going to work.
    engine runs hot, above 450degc and there is a large differential temperature compare to ambient air. so using a radiator and fan, we can remove substantial heat from the engine.

however, for a tank we are talk about almost no temperature differential. ambient room temperature is 27-28degc and we are making use of evaporative cooling.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    I'm trying out another idea. I put an aluminium tray across the top of my tank, next to my two fans. On top of it, I put a tub of ice, about 5l of water (ice still contained in the tupperware it was frozen in and I cover the lid to slow down the melting process. Also added salt into water to slow).

By doing this, the air from the fan is cooler because of the ice. Also, condensation takes place below the aluminium tray and the water that drips back down in the tank is cold. Surprisingly quite effective. For example, tank temp. using digital thermometer went from 28.9 to 28.1 within half an hour.

The ice takes about 4 hours to melt (with the lid on and the box kept in a plastic bag for insulation). By the that time, it's about noon time and my kids come home in the afternoon so air-con is on anyway so the time that my tank has to suffer the heat is only bet. 12-3 p.m.

Must try and refresh memory to see how else I can slow down the melting process of ice

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think the Process cost is Expensive. Eg. consume your time.
    Click to My Aquarium Blog
    I Love Corydoras, Planted Tank and Taiwan ( Singaporean )

Feedback Score
    "i got a hailla 1/2hp should be a taiwanese made from petmart at $1080 "

Hi
    I am working in Taiwan and the LFS told me that a small chiller cost about NT10,000 (about SGD500). However it is 110V. If anyone wants to buy, we can pool and try to get a better price for it. email me and I will see what I can do. ie size, brand etc. Remember it is 110V and I will need to check on shipping cost.

Thanks
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Limsteel..

Thsi has been in my mind for a couple of weeks now with summer fast approaching in Taiwan..

I am thinking of running the discharge plastic pipes of the filter through a tub of water in the type of drink cooler (used in car)that runs on 12V DC?

Hook up a temperature sensor to monitor teh temperature ie to control 12V is easy and safe!

yc

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/27/2003 9:55:53 AM

----------------
    I'm trying out another idea. I put an aluminium tray across the top of my tank, next to my two fans. On top of it, I put a tub of ice, about 5l of water (ice still contained in the tupperware it was frozen in and I cover the lid to slow down the melting process. Also added salt into water to slow).

By doing this, the air from the fan is cooler because of the ice. Also, condensation takes place below the aluminium tray and the water that drips back down in the tank is cold. Surprisingly quite effective. For example, tank temp. using digital thermometer went from 28.9 to 28.1 within half an hour.

The ice takes about 4 hours to melt (with the lid on and the box kept in a plastic bag for insulation). By the that time, it's about noon time and my kids come home in the afternoon so air-con is on anyway so the time that my tank has to suffer the heat is only bet. 12-3 p.m.

Must try and refresh memory to see how else I can slow down the melting process of ice
    ----------------
    Interesting idea, but only one problem in my case... I have no where to place it without blocking my lights.

One improvement is too use the blue freezer "bottles" that people use for cooler boxes instead of ice blocks. Suppose to last longer then ice. Expensive though.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.