Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

HBH or Hikari for BN fry

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am enclosing some pictures of my observation of the 2 brands of wafer. Which is more suitable for BN fry?
    Hikari - start breaking up within 15mins in water, became a mess in less than 1hr. More manageable by the fry because they are softer?
    HBH - wafer remain intact even after 2 days in water. Too hard for fry? but more vege based.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johannes; 4th Mar 2010 at 10:08. Reason: some minor spelling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: HBH or Hikari for BN fry

actually both are alright, as long as you know that the fry are eating well on both pellets.
    just remember to siphon the uneaten ones the next day.
    lifeisfullofemptypromisesandbrokendreams
    Hypancistrus and Tanganyikan cichlids breeding

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

you can also try decapsulated bbs eggs for the first few weeks just to get them eating or some NLS pellets. But in my opinion you should go for hikari as it has more "meat" content inside it and it's softer.

Fries do not have their dentures formed in the beginning. Thus making it difficult to eat harder pellets/food.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

for bristlenoses it is advisable to feed green matter when they are young.
    lifeisfullofemptypromisesandbrokendreams
    Hypancistrus and Tanganyikan cichlids breeding

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks guys. I am feeding decap and wafer. When I discovered the hikari wafer mess, I immediately siphoned most of it in case it fouls water and left just 1/8 behind. This morning when I looked in, its gone, so they were eating. I have also tried a blanched baby romaine lettuce and looks like half the fry are eating, but just wondering if vegi will foul water more easily.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

just take out the vegetables in the morning like what you're doing with the wafers before and they should be fine. Try feeding them zucchini , that'll be a better choice for me(easier to prepare) or blanched peas without the shells.

Usually it takes some time for the fry to know that the lettuce is food. Give it a go for another day or 2 and I think it'll be fine.

Zucchini's nutritional value

Lettuce's nutritional value

Congrats on your spawn by the way
    Last edited by celticfish; 4th Mar 2010 at 15:42. Reason: added more info - remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks, I just found out last nite, all the fries were grazing at the piece of romaine lettuce, so they are beginning to accept that as food. I used to feed the adults zucchini for a very short period until I got lazy and stopped (too lazy to blanch). Zucchini does get a little mushy, but I think I might have left it in the water for too long, approx 18hrs, and large WC is not a problem with adult, not too sure about fries. This time round, I left the lettuce in the breeder box for fries, for less than 12hrs just once, it didn't give problem. I will try that timing when I next use zucchini.
    Last edited by johannes; 5th Mar 2010 at 08:44. Reason: remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

you don't have to blanch the zucchini. Feed it raw, just tie it down to something to make it sink.