Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Overfeeding pleco fry?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just want to know if my feeding regimen is right in the first place. I am trying to refrain from overfeeding, but at the same time, knowing fries eat non-stop, I didn't want to starve them. I wasn't able to see clearly if they eat till belly bloat.

I feed romaine lettuce and a little bit of decap BS egg in the morning. In the night, immediately after WC, I throw in wafer. In this way, the fries get food non-stop. Is this correct? Am I overfeeding with non-stop supply of food? or should I just give food in the day and let them rest their tummy in the night or vice-versa?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Overfeeding pleco fry?

Its ok to provide food 24/7 to the fry . Just make sure you do your water change regularly .
    Fry are generally shy so make sure food is near where they are hiding .
    L46 . L173 . L66 . L333 . L399 . L174 . L144 . Lower
    Xingu .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

bro my 16 fries are eating 6 pellets of Hikari carnivore every day... No worries from overfeeding
    sam | Any bucephalandra fans out there? PM me!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you so much guys. Ahhh...I can rest my mind now because I wasn't sure at all if I should be feeding 24/7.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

in fact fry should have access to food whenever they feel hungry to grow up healthily, just like a human baby, which needs to be fed with milk every 2/3 hours..
    lifeisfullofemptypromisesandbrokendreams
    Hypancistrus and Tanganyikan cichlids breeding

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the assurance.
    Last edited by johannes; 9th Mar 2010 at 08:57. Reason: remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just wondering. Does your pleco fry actually finish up or at least finish half the vegetable that you feed? Mine doesn't, whether its lettuce, winter melon, zucchini or peas. I had to throw a whole piece (intact though with some bite marks) away even after leaving in the water for 24hrs, though I saw most of the fry grazing at the vegetable.
    Last edited by hck; 16th Mar 2010 at 17:19.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Feed them regularly throughout the day if you have time and available to do that. Depending on their appetite, adjust accordingly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks, I don't feed them throughout the day, I just throw in vegetable in the morning, remove and replace every morning and add a little wafer in the night, most of the time, by morning, the wafer are gone, but the vegetable still look intact except for the peas. Look like my fry prefer peas to all other vegetable.

Lucky till now, only 2 stunted fry died recently, expecting 2 more stunted ones to go, funny thing is, they still manage to survive that long.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Did you "prepare" the vegetable first?
    Usually blanching will help soften the veggie.
    Also keep in mind the size/mass of the fry versus the size of the veggie you put in.
    They cannot be possibly consuming a few hundred percent of their own mass in a short ime like a day.
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I trained my fry eat solid food when young. No vegetables at all. Hikari carnivore and Dr Bassler small size is all i feed them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks celticfish. You are right in that the piece of vegetable may be too big for the fry's size, but because I read somewhere that pleco fries usually finished their vegetable within 24hrs, so I was just wondering if everyelse's also finish up (haha..maybe that particular guy gave very small pc). I blanched initially, noticed that it doesn't stay well in water and also no taker, in the end I decided to give raw (stays better in water, 24hrs).

Hi, khtee, I also give hikari algae wafer (not canivore because mine are not carnivorous) beside vegetable.