Country
    Singapore

Photosynthesis Period

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi i need the following advice.

1: Average Photosynthesis period (Just a gauge,and under what light conditions)
    2: Time interval before the plants are able to start Photosynthesis again. (Mods please edit if there is a process name for this)

I know pearling is when Photosynthesis has reach the peak and the plant starts "breathing"

What made me want to know:
    I turned on my light for the whole day since 5.30am-6.25pm.
    When i reached home, noticed my mosses and background plant (yet to id) all seemed to have pearled.

Thanks in advance.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re: Photosynthesis Period

photoperiod should be around 10-12hours; similar to natural daylight hours. pearling occurs when the water column is saturated with oxygen.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Normally it is around 10hrs, plants will stop photosynthesis after 10 hrs straight even though the light still on. You can do simple experiment with certain plant like rotalla. This plant will open up during photosynthesis. After about 10 hrs it will close even though the light still on. I never pay attention until I read Aquajournal online.

I'm not sure if all plant behave the same way or only certain species.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    I know pearling is when Photosynthesis has reach the peak and the plant starts "breathing"
    That's the wrong perception.

Plants produce oxygen during photosynthesis all the time and release this oxygen into the water through tiny holes under the leaves, called stomatas. Usually, the oxygen is dissolved immediately into the water, hence no pearling.

Pearling occurs when the tank water is saturated with oxygen and the oxygen produced by the plants cannot be dissolved into the water. Thus it accumulates and forms little bubbles.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Vinz, Thanks for the explanation, I finally know what is really going on behind pearling and why it is quite difficult to achieve in my tank.
    Can I know whether pearling can only be seen and captured in those delicate plants like riccia, HC, HM or can it be seen in others like the hygrophila or anubias family for example?

Quote Originally Posted by vinz View Post

Plants produce oxygen during photosynthesis all the time and release this oxygen into the water through tiny holes under the leaves, called stomatas. Usually, the oxygen is dissolved immediately into the water, hence no pearling.

Pearling occurs when the tank water is saturated with oxygen and the oxygen produced by the plants cannot be dissolved into the water. Thus it accumulates and forms little bubbles.
    A Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    My 2 ft tank
    Flora: Anubias barteri var Nana, var "Gold" and "mini", Crypto Wendtii, C.parva, Marsilea Hirsuta, Flame Moss, Hygrophila Polysperma, H.Violacea & H.Corymbosa, US Fissiden
    Fauna: Guppy, Pelvicachromis Pulcher, Nannacara Anomala, Laetacara Araguaiae 'Buckelkopf'

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I normally put anubias under shade area, so should not be able to see pearl but I can see pearl on java fern.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

my mini nanas pearl at the end of the day when the water column is saturated. but not as vigorously as my HC.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

In most NA pictures, it is always the riccia, glosso and HC and the ferns that is doing the pearling. I have not seen other type of plant pearl in picture yet. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by Aquanoob; 10th Mar 2010 at 15:31.
    My 2 ft tank
    Flora: Anubias barteri var Nana, var "Gold" and "mini", Crypto Wendtii, C.parva, Marsilea Hirsuta, Flame Moss, Hygrophila Polysperma, H.Violacea & H.Corymbosa, US Fissiden
    Fauna: Guppy, Pelvicachromis Pulcher, Nannacara Anomala, Laetacara Araguaiae 'Buckelkopf'

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Reveru, you are lucky to see nana petite pearl, you should take a pciture of it. I have anubias nana, nana petite and golden nana and have not see them pearl at all. Maybe is because of my lousy light!

Quote Originally Posted by reveru View Post
    my mini nanas pearl at the end of the day when the water column is saturated. but not as vigorously as my HC.
    My 2 ft tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

probabbly because they are the one which are easily pearl. Other plants may take 2 or 3 hours before pearl

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My Nana do pearl but it was those chain type bubble. Maybe it is because of the water current, mine pearl more when I aim my water outlet against the tank wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquanoob View Post
    Reveru, you are lucky to see nana petite pearl, you should take a pciture of it. I have anubias nana, nana petite and golden nana and have not see them pearl at all. Maybe is because of my lousy light!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

yes flow is also critical because O2 will dissolve faster.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My iwagumi scape has a 8 hr illumination period. co2 is introduced half and hour before lights are on via reactor. Lighting is 2x39wt5ho with individual reflector. after 1 hour into photoperiod its like a mini bubble bath perhaps co2 saturation and temperature plays a part to achieve pearling

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by vinz View Post

Vinz, thanks for the in-depth explanation.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Aquanoob View Post
    In most NA pictures, it is always the riccia, glosso and HC and the ferns that is doing the pearling. I have not seen other type of plant pearl in picture yet. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by PKB View Post
    My Nana do pearl but it was those chain type bubble. Maybe it is because of the water current, mine pearl more when I aim my water outlet against the tank wall.
    Aquanoob, some of my moss also do pearl. Even the plant that i have not ID'ed (it looks like amazon sword)

PKB: If water current is high, doubt the bubbles have a chance to float up nicely.

Cross: you run separate timers for your co2?
    Last edited by felix_fx2; 11th Mar 2010 at 10:12. Reason: spelling

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes i using 2 seperate timers. Having good current in the tank helps if want to have pearling, otherwise it will only be localised. I have tried with my wavemaker on and only will see the pearls on the plants itself. without the wave maker i am seeing streams of bubbles instead

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

U are right, the water flow and current is very important. That is one of the reason why I direct my water flow against the back tank wall.

The flow is more gentle and result is easlier forming of bubble and pearl.

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Aquanoob, some of my moss also do pearl. Even the plant that i have not ID'ed (it looks like amazon sword)

PKB: If water current is high, doubt the bubbles have a chance to float up nicely.

Cross: you run separate timers for your co2?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

just like when you stir sugar, it dissolve faster. So if the flow strong, O2 will dissolve faster and you will see less bubble

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi bro, my mini nanas don't pearl exactly like riccia does, but they form a stream of tiny bubbles all the way to the top of the surface. for my tank, i have 96 watts of light over a 2ft tank (about 16G filled) so it is pretty intense. anyway, it only occurs towards the end of the day, after the water column gets saturated with oxygen. in fact, almost every plant in my tank starts pearling vigorously at that time.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

bro, remembered you saying you wanted to poison your partner. get your plants pearling and put on a night light! haha, when my HC pearls and with night lights on. i asked my gf to take a look. initially she says theres nothing. but when she look in level with the HC, she "wow"-ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast