Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lessons on Pressurized CO2

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just got my CO2 tank topped up yesterday, and I remember thinking happily to myself "wow todays top up is really heavy"... anyway, my happiness turned to frustration in the early morning when the safety valve of my tank blew. Which let obviously released all my CO2 (did you know CO2 smells a bit like LPG?)

Anyway, as if that wasn't bad enough... I didn't even know my tank had a safety valve... so when I heard the hissing, I moved my hands around the top of the tank to try and isolate where the leak was... resulting in 2 small but rather painful frost burns on my index finger. Sigh.... stupid me forgot how cold liquid CO2 was

Anyway, looks like I'll be getting myself a new CO2 tank today... unless anyone knows where I can get the safety valve changed? Also, assuming the tank is now junk, anyone know whats the proper way to dispose of it?
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    SOXAL comes to mind if you are thinking of replacing the safety valve...dunno if they provide such service or not though. If they can't replace it, then ask them to dispose off for you...LOL []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/27/2003 10:02:42 AM

Just got my CO2 tank topped up yesterday, and I remember thinking happily to myself "wow todays top up is really heavy"... anyway, my happiness turned to frustration in the early morning when the safety valve of my tank blew. Which let obviously released all my CO2 (did you know CO2 smells a bit like LPG?)

Anyway, as if that wasn't bad enough... I didn't even know my tank had a safety valve... so when I heard the hissing, I moved my hands around the top of the tank to try and isolate where the leak was... resulting in 2 small but rather painful frost burns on my index finger. Sigh.... stupid me forgot how cold liquid CO2 was

Anyway, looks like I'll be getting myself a new CO2 tank today... unless anyone knows where I can get the safety valve changed? Also, assuming the tank is now junk, anyone know whats the proper way to dispose of it?
    ----------------
    how come the people over top up? Thought they know how much your co2 tank can hold such as 3l etc? Btw, any one had their co2 cylinder exploded b4?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you were to open up the safety valve nut, you will see a round piece of copper. Probably with a hole at the center by now. That is the thing that needs replacement. It is design to break under over loading. I have no idea where to get replacement though. I had the same experience in a public bus! Scare the hell out of everyone[].

Turaco

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmmm... and did you get yours replaced? If not looks like I'll have to go buy a new tank....

Btw, its not a question of over topping up... I've done my top ups a few times at the same shop and never had an issue. In fact it was the shop owner who warned me that most tanks cannot tank the full top up... This is especially true in our hot weather.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    could the hot weather have any effect on the pressure in the tank? Say the people top up the tank in the normal way, will the hot weather have increased the pressure of the CO2 to actually blew the safety valve? just a thought
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/27/2003 1:12:21 PM

Hmmm... and did you get yours replaced? If not looks like I'll have to go buy a new tank....

Btw, its not a question of over topping up... I've done my top ups a few times at the same shop and never had an issue. In fact it was the shop owner who warned me that most tanks cannot tank the full top up... This is especially true in our hot weather.
    ----------------
    of the many times u did the refill, u did full refill or how much only?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Guess I need to get a replacement CO2 cylinder. Wonder how much would it cost me? My case is quite similar to Allen's. The main valve is leaking!!!![]
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Allen,

did you take note of the tank pressure when you connected your system back on-line? would be a useful piece of information. as a precaution, maybe it is wise to weigh the tank after every top up and release some co2 if it is overfilled.
    did you try checking those shops which sells pressurised tanks whether they have replacement relief valve?
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Allen

Sorry to hear that it happened to you as well....the bright side to it is that you are not holding the tank when it happen...that is what happened to me a year ago.

As what Peter has mentioned, you need to get the safety valve refitted by Soxal and re-tested as well for a small fee. The next time when you do a top-up, you need to know how they are filling. If its just from tank to tank...chances likely is that you will not exceed 1000psi...it will end up around 800psi......

However if they are topping up like how Soxal is by means of cold compression, you need to be very careful...what they do is the they freeze your tank and then let the pressure difference do its job. Best to bring your regulator along and fit it on. As the tank warms up, the tank pressure will rise and if it exceeds 1000psi its best to release some away.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    where do u guys recommend to co2 refill? Is Sam yick co2 refill good? Do we have to tell the shop owner like not to refill completely?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/27/2003 10:12:07 AM

SOXAL comes to mind if you are thinking of replacing the safety valve...dunno if they provide such service or not though. If they can't replace it, then ask them to dispose off for you...LOL []
    ----------------
    SOXAL do certified tanks only.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Anyway, I checked with petmart, and they can get the safety valve fixed for about 20-30 bucks. So I might do that. As for the actual pressure, I didn't manage to check that as I didn't hook up my tank yet.

My own suspicion is the heat. My tank was still freezing cold when I brought it home, and I'm betting that as the temperature went up, the increase in pressure caused the breaking of the safety.

Oh well... maybe I'll just upgrade to a bigger tank anyway
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Allen

Bigger tank still have to check......
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    heat may not be the culprit.
    if the heat from a living room can cause a filled co2 cylinder to become overpressure then what about those co2 cylinder being transported on the back of lorries. i am pretty sure that those tanks will be subjected to temperatures of at least 40degc under direct sunlight.
    thomas liew