Country
    Singapore

EMERGENCY: Fire Eel attacked by fungus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Everyone,

I have 2 fire eels in a tank right now. Unfortunately one has been infected by "fungus" i think.

The eye now turns white as if its blind, and the eel's body suffered multiple abrasions as if 'eaten away' by the fungus. He looks frail and weak

I have change the water and added in double amount of aquarium salt that i have usually added.

May i have advice on what kind of medications to administer to the eel?
    Currently tank has 1 clown killifsh and 2 golden pencilfish.
    And please advice on whether the medication(anti fungus etc) could be administered to the whole tank as the eel is quite big and i do not have a big enough quarantine tank to hold it yet

Please help soon hes dying!!!
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Keeping | Nannostomus Eques, Pseudomugil furcatus, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides, Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Corydoras hastatus |

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: EMERGENCY: Fire Eel attacked by fungus

You can try using Sera Protazol. However, do remember that these 'fungus' are secondary infections, which occur when bacterial infections are taking place. Treat the whole tank.

Salt does not help in most cases, and can really make things worst for your Fire Eel, which I believe is a scaleless fish.

In most cases of serious fungal infection, the fish involved is usually close to death and has little chance of survival unless it pulls through during the treatment stage. My advice is, use the medications available to treat fungal AND bacterial infections, and watch the fish closely and hope for the best. During treatment with such medications, the filter bacteria may die off so you should do some water tests during this stage, and feed less. Follow the dosage of the medication closely. DO NOT OVERDOSE, or all your livestock might die.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hey storm thanks for your advice i'll see through the treatment as soon as possible >.< hopefully he can pull through *Cross my fingers*
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Keeping | Nannostomus Eques, Pseudomugil furcatus, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides, Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Corydoras hastatus |

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If he dies, just tell yourself that there was little you could have done. In my time treating fish, once they get fungus and if it is serious, they usually end up dead no matter what I do. Good luck with the treatment. Do update on the status of the affected eel though.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For my fire eel i used this medicine called "Proto zin - Whitespot & Fungus"- It's from Waterlife in a blue and white bottle. It's good stuff as it treats a lot of diseases. Whitespot, velvet, costiasis. A lot of stuff. I use it every now and then just to be safe . Good luck with your fire eel. They are truly extremely beautiful fish especially when they are swimming around to eat live shrimp
    Sam - I <3 Fish
    1x 4ft
    1x 3ft
    1x 2ft
    1x 1ft3"
    1x 1ft