Country
    Singapore

Propagating E. oriental

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi guys,

hope i didnt get the name wrong. some time i ago i bought an E.oriental from a bro here and now its doing well. attached are the pictures of it blooming. there is this "antenna" that grows out of water and blooms. How do i propagate them? It could be seen at some buds, there are leaves growing out. do i just plant that portion? Or does it propagate at its own? Initially there was only 1 "antenna" now i have 3 of them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: propagating E.Oriental

You can leave it as it is and let the plantlets develop after the flowers drop. Once the plantlets reach a decent size and have a few roots, you can clip it off the stalk and plant it on its own in the gravel.
    ----------------------------

do not do to others what you will not want done to you!

be kind! =)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: propagating E.Oriental

I got a big one growing emersed in my garden. Recently clipped a small plantlet to put in my tank too.
    ...people ask why I eat fish even though i'm such an avid fish keeper... Bottom line is that I've been eating fish a lot longer than I've been keeping them...

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Propagating E.Oriental

Wait for the little root to shoot out from the bud. Cut in between. Laid them on aquarium floor (substrate), it will root in and grow. I tried that. Good Cos the plant get to "drink" from water column first then slowly creep into the substrate and gain position.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Propagating E.Oriental

thanks for the many suggestions! but i find the plant too big already. will plant it in my pond =)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Propagating E. oriental

Allow young leaves to form before dunking them into the water to encourage root growth, however not always a must, it can also be done once the 'youngling' have grown to a considerable size, snip it off and allow it to float on the surface.

Echinorous do grow fairly huge under direct sunlight. so in a pond, with sufficient room to spread its root, you will get larger Echinodorus than those in a tank (maybe with the exception of a 5 to 6 footer)