Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Is it ok to swap filters between 2 tanks?

Feedback Score
    13 (93%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is it ok to swap filters between 2 tanks?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My shrimps breeding tank is getting crowded and I am just thinking to use a more powerful filter from another tank. Can I just swap the filters like that? Can the bacterial colony take over and replace each other in the tank?

Will there potentially be any serious consequence?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Is it ok to swap filters between 2 tanks?

Jellyfish are the newest item available in the marine aquarium hobby. Please kindly contact us for details at [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Logically, there shouldn't be a problem if you are swapping in a filter from another tank with equal or higher bioload. But, I'm no shrimp owner.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpong View Post
    My shrimps breeding tank is getting crowded and I am just thinking to use a more powerful filter from another tank. Can I just swap the filters like that? Can the bacterial colony take over and replace each other in the tank?

Will there potentially be any serious consequence?
    First off, the water parameters for both tanks should be the same, otherwise swapping the filters like that is a recipe for disaster IF the bacteria colony in either filter crash due to the change of water conditions.

Note that if your other tank has some diseases which are you are not aware of, the swapping of the filters can cause the introduction of these diseases into your shrimp breeding tank.

My advice is to tear down the bigger filter, clean it out, use fresh media and let it slowly cycle and seed itself with bacteria from the breeding tank. It will probably take awhile before you can take off the older filter from the set-up but the patience will be worthwhile if you don't mind waiting.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    China

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    First off, the water parameters for both tanks should be the same, otherwise swapping the filters like that is a recipe for disaster IF the bacteria colony in either filter crash due to the change of water conditions.

Note that if your other tank has some diseases which are you are not aware of, the swapping of the filters can cause the introduction of these diseases into your shrimp breeding tank.

My advice is to tear down the bigger filter, clean it out, use fresh media and let it slowly cycle and seed itself with bacteria from the breeding tank. It will probably take awhile before you can take off the older filter from the set-up but the patience will be worthwhile if you don't mind waiting.
    Exactly.very much have the same opinion as this