Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Apisto sick

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, just noticed that my male agassizi has a bloated stomache and not swimming much. Its just lying down at one side of the tank but its not dead. I netted it and put it in a isolation tank. Other than adding salt and anti-chlorine what else can i do for it? Its the only fish in my 3-footer that is affected. What kind of disease is it? I've been doing regular water changes too. Is it because of the recent hot weather?
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    dropsy or constipation.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi loupgarou.
    When a fish gets dropsy its due to excess fluid in the belly am i right? Read some of the old posts and it was said to use epsom salt to treat it. Is it the same as aquarium salt? Or is it the type that we drink due to indigestion or whatever?
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    epsom salts is magnesium sulphate MgSO4.7H2O. Which is the stuff many people use to do PMDD for Mg. You can buy it at pharmacies... used for aching muscles

Not to sound pessimistic though... most of my fish don't make it by the time they are in the condition you mentioned.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    did it swim for awhile then sink to the bottom? cld be bladder prob.. usually cause from overfeeding (glutton [] ) just reduce feed and change the water... some of my apisto/dwarf cichlids recovered from it

if its dropsy, i usually cull them

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all!
    My apisto went to fishy-heaven last night. Discovered him lying at a corner not moving... []

Simon i'm really interested to know how you cull them. By saying cull u mean mercy killing am i correct? How do you do it?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i prefer to put them in the freezer.. though, some of us may wanna consider a quicker and more effective way (like cut at the spine, instant death) but i cant bring myself to do that

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Apisto are very prone to sickness esp in very dirty water, best to change their water often and keep the water soft and acidic if possible. Apisto do not do well in very high temp as for common ones like what we can easily get here in SG it's allrite. High fluctuations are best to be avoided. 6deg in 24 hrs is the max they can handle.
    Culling is a sad thing to do, i'll do what Simon does too but usually i'll try to save it, usually out of 10,10 didn't made it regardless of whatever medication i've dose.

So as what every doctor says - prevention is better than cure.

I've met with 2 major death poll during the last 2 years which swept out many many apisto due to temperature and dirty water.[]
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yup, agreed.. dirty water is mostly the cause... especially dropsy