Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Which Liquid Fert Best

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can anyone tell me which Liquid fert is best ued for a new tank?
    i just set up my tank a week ago havent added any liquid feret yet. When should i start adding and which brands are good?
    i have a bottle of seachem flourish now haven used yet. what else and when should i use liquid fert. Pls help thanks =)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/30/2003 4:20:18 PM

Can anyone tell me which Liquid fert is best ued for a new tank?
    i just set up my tank a week ago havent added any liquid feret yet. When should i start adding and which brands are good?
    i have a bottle of seachem flourish now haven used yet. what else and when should i use liquid fert. Pls help thanks =)
    ----------------
    best liquid fert would be from Dennerle but it cost alot. like V30 etc

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Flourish and Tropica Master grow are good...Dennerle is good but if you have algae problems when you use it, you have no idea where to start as the contents are not stated....I would go with flourish personally.

Flourish are just traces aka micronutrients...plants need more of macronutrients which consist of NO3,PO4,K,GH,CO2.

Start dosing as soon as possible and get test kits for NO3 and PO4 or do the estimative dosing method coupled with 50% water change weekly. Do get your CO2 in good range (20-30ppm during light hours) and make sure it is consistent before you begin dosing anything...failing to do that and not much would be uptaken by plants.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Depending on your budget.

For deep pocket, Dennerle, Dupla
    For medium pocket depth, try Bioplast, Seachem, JBL, Kent new plant range, etc
    For shallow ones, try Dr Mallick LushGro

For the upmarket ones, just follow their instructions, you will end up fine 80% of the time.
    For medium and low budgets' products, knowledge of the hobby and adminstrating them are fairly important, especially Seachem, Kent and others which separate nutrients into a big range of products. Partly because their recommended dosage stated are not very helpful and also most people do not buy the full range which would end up very expensive (close to the up market ones).

May be you should consider budget first. However, if you have a small tank, 2ft or smaller or less than 100 litre tank, go for the better ones, after all, the dosages are very small.

Regards,

Freddy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    so how do i check for CO2 PPM petergwee?

hmm i think Dr Mallick sounds good for now, where do i get it?

oh also is the couldiness normal? taking a while to settle down darn it haha

Refer to the lfs list for Dr Mallick. Better to call first to check on stock availability.

U need to get pH & kH test kit.
    After getting ur pH & kH, u can refer to the link below for ur co2 ppm.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

I can sell you some of the PMDD fertizilers.
    If need only a small quantites, this will last you
    a few months (depends on tanks size).

100g Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) - $1
    100g Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4) - $1
    100g Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) - $1
    100g KH2PO4 - $1
    100g Fe-EDTA (13% Fe Powder form) - $1
    100g Sodium Bicarbonate - $1

Full Package Order - $5
    Inculde the following :-
    100g Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4)
    100g Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4)
    100g Potassium Nitrate (KNO3)
    100g KH2PO4
    100g Fe-EDTA (13% Fe Powder form)
    100g Sodium Bicarbonate

The price does not include postage, pls include $3 for
    postage.
    Items may be arrange to be self-collect @ Clementi or Boon Lay.
    Email me @ [email protected] or SMS (96958275)to order.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks a lot guys =)
    went to buy already anyway he is not in Singapore went to India for a while

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Errr... he has a shop that sells the stuff, he doesn't need to be around for you to get it. Look up the LFS list for his shop numbers and call them.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if you ask me...
    there's no such thing as BEST or ULTIMATE fertiliser
    regardless of the brand of fert, it just boils down to the chemicals inside the fert, which are almost the same
    so basically, when you buy brand names like dennerle, tropica, seachem, you're paying for the name and the trust in the reputation of the company
    also, with better QC and formulation, you can have BETTER brands of fertiliser
    but when you're playing with the top brands of fertiliser, they're basically the same
    so pick a brand you feel comfortable with (both brand name and price) and you should be set

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey, juz to share with you guys that I juz saw ADA fertilizers here. However, as the instructions are all in Japanese, even the lfs owner can't tell me its effectiveness or usage.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    at the end of the day, plants need about 16 elements , all fertilizers are just a play on that. just find what works.

go to keong seong and read the brochure they have explaining each and everything. some of which gives an idea of what the item is.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    HAHA i know I went to the shop to buy. Bought already
    the Uncle there then told me while we were chatting he not in Spore say he usualli around the shop. Sorry to confuse u Vinz =)
    thanks for the advice guys =)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kadios,

ADA in Sg is old news liao... anyway, the english instructions should be inside the box.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/1/2003 5:51:05 PM

if you ask me...
    there's no such thing as BEST or ULTIMATE fertiliser
    regardless of the brand of fert, it just boils down to the chemicals inside the fert, which are almost the same
    so basically, when you buy brand names like dennerle, tropica, seachem, you're paying for the name and the trust in the reputation of the company
    also, with better QC and formulation, you can have BETTER brands of fertiliser
    but when you're playing with the top brands of fertiliser, they're basically the same
    so pick a brand you feel comfortable with (both brand name and price) and you should be set
    ----------------
    I second that!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    DEA,

"if you ask me...
    there's no such thing as BEST or ULTIMATE fertiliser regardless of the brand of fert"

You are likely to be right, I believe that too.

"it just boils down to the chemicals inside the fert, which are almost the same so basically, when you buy brand names like dennerle, tropica, seachem, you're paying for the name and the trust in the reputation of the company also, with better QC and formulation, you can have BETTER brands of fertiliser but when you're playing with the top brands of fertiliser, they're basically the same so pick a brand you feel comfortable with (both brand name and price) and you should be set"

For this part, I am afraid that you comments are unhelpful to the question asked.

Firstly, "which are almost the same" has no meaning at all compare to "the same" or "not the same". Often a well researched products make all the different and stand out with that slight different in chemical contents, concentration or formulae. At time, ideology plays the key role in the research. Let me illustrate that with Tropica Master Grow and Dennerle.
    TMG researches focus in replenishing only what is lack in the water based on a big pool of sample tanks. The formula, therefore, is used as supplements above the fish feedings that contributing to the water column. It seems to work in most tanks and therefore, well received in planted tank arena.
    Dennerle's effort on the other hand built on the need to create a water column that completely satisfy the plants with little help from external contributors. To be exact, it only require the fish's waste's ammonia and phosphor to complete its' mission. No guessing here, precision is the their target. It works very well and people pay for that reason.

ADA and Dupla are another shining examples that many Americans would swear to it. This is no coincidence; the researchers and quality/believe of their employers make ALOT of DIFFERRENCE. Without these guys working day and night to understand the needs of the plants, we may not even be knowing what planted tank is or the hobby would not be that wide spread. It was the bench marks that these market leaders set that many later makers used, where we benefited economically and get the almost working staffs.

That is where "you're paying for the name and the trust in the reputation of the company, with better QC and formulation, you can have BETTER brands of fertiliser" said well of this but then contradicts to "chemicals inside the fert, which are almost the same so basically, when you buy brand names like dennerle, tropica, seachem" and "they're basically the same so pick a brand you feel comfortable with" which certainly not a fair statement.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the way I see it,. every tank is unique.

plant metabolic rate (temperature), co2 injection ppm, lighting, feeding ritual, ammonia/nitrate from critters, filtration, substrate, water change ritual etc varies from tank to tank.

if you're implying you can plug and play
    a one size fits all formulation to produce the "showcase type tank" in the amano books etc, I'm highly skeptical.

also:

what is in ADA ECA? is it more effective than eg: seachem fluorish iron (ferrous gluconate), vs EDTAFe/DPTAFe to warrant a $42 price tag vs a $12 or $6 price tag?

or
    what is in each of the brightly K series?
    besides some form of chelated K or Kno3/KSo4/KCl, how many forms can "K" come in? to warrant a $48 price tag.

all I'm seeing is branding. (unless its actually gold/pottasium alloy. lol)

perhaps one day, someone will do a gas spectrographic analysis of the ADA and Denerlle products to come up with composition.

--
    anyway, perhaps a survey analysis of the ADA competition, or various competition winners can come up with what percentage are "winners"... (unless the judges somehow bias the winners towards "choice of fertilisation regime" hah.)
    (anyway, ada is probably biased towards rich japanese with money to blow on ada products.. heh..)

anyway, branding is part of the price of the product, you can compare with the tweezers from ada/jbj etc (heard they are from the same OEM, just branded differently thus priced differently).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    loupgarou,

Thank you for your view.

"every tank is unique."
    Yes, that is because most tanks do not use the same products and in most cases too, there are a "rojak" (mixed) of products thrown into the tank. That is fine provided one knows what he is doing.

"if you're implying you can plug and play"
    Good products are not exactly plug and play but almost, nothing is perfect after all. However, they are very helpful for users with less knowledge and feel uncertain of advises given to them. These products certainly provide them with confident and more importantly, higher chance of survivor IF they bought the full range and faithfully follow the instructions and methodology which cover those parameters that you mentioned.

"what is in ADA ECA? is it more effective than eg: seachem fluorish iron (ferrous gluconate), vs EDTAFe/DPTAFe to warrant a $42 price tag vs a $12 or $6 price tag?quot;
    You are right, you knew the product well enough to know that. Having said that, there may be more chemicals in there than said and the brewing process contribute to the overall effectiveness of the solution. However, they, ADA and other reputable companies, invested heavily on research, advertisements, internet postings, broucher, show tanks, free plant search engines, packing, etc. If you look at the business perspective, you will agree that they have no choice but to charge premium. They hope that after all the works done and putting up a good show, people would appreciate and pay for it. I would not blame them even if they keep certain chemicals secrete.

I believe hobbyists benefited a lot from their educational brouchers and internet postings. Forum like thekrib also did a great job.

I was staying for nearly a year in Europe few years back. I had enjoyed numerous street performers, each time they draw huge crowd. After their show which normally last about 30 minutes, no one is obliged to pay, there is no paying rule set out. You decide for yourself.
    I had seen many, easily more than 50%, after patronise the full 30 minutes show, just walk away, not even a penny drop. I knew some of these performers are full time, they earn their living through it, and they have limited window of earning period, normally only during summer time where people are on the street. They trained hard months before that to put up a good show. They are the true entertainers and the ones that make the street truly colourful.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Alamak! Me then very swaku liao! =P

heh heh! Please pardon my ignorance coz me new to this hobby! =)

Cheers!