Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: whitespot medication

whitespot medication

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can anyone rec any medication? and will such medication kill bacteria colony in the filter? thanx!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    try salt.. for dosage, refer the one of the older threads

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what fish are in your tank? some maybe sensitive to salt and others maybe sensitive to medication...
    do you have a heater in your tank?
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    I'm currently using Ocean Free's Super Anti-White Spot(or something like that, can't rememebr exactly). So far had to deal with 2 outbreaks in my tank, both times cured in about 8 days. But with 25% water change every 2 days and re-dosing of med. No problem with filter as I don't think this med affects the bacteria.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    salt is good.
    sees improvement after 2-3 days after dosing.
    used ocean free whitespot soln before using salt.
    after 4 doses, killed quite a lot of my plants.
    turned black and rotted.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/5/2002 11:52:30 PM

salt is good.
    sees improvement after 2-3 days after dosing.
    ----------------
    the reason why salt helps the condition almost immediately is that the main reason for ich killing (fluids leaking out of the holes in the epidermis) is alleviated by the reduction of osmotic stress (though hotly debated, imo i think it helps)

to be certain to kill off the ich with ZERO recurrence, use the salt for 2 wks

so far I had one fish with white spots which I removed, am treating it using salt like what you guys recc. incidentally I read my fish book too late to realise that you don't have to buy aquarium salt, just buy normal rock salt or cooking salt, not table salt cuz table salt contains chemicals to keep it dry and powdery, prob cheaper than aquarium salt.

but so far my main tank shows no sign of white spots and my fishes seem very healthy. I keep shrimps, tetras, mollies, guppies and 3 unknown gouramis with plants. I"m keeping my fingers crossed!

And I read all the medication available for white spots and I think it affects parasites and not bacteria infestation hence doesn't affect filter bacteria. (I think) BUT they ALL affect invertebrates! so luckily I read first else my shrimps will all become ebi tempura!

Feedback Score
    I read that salt might be harmful to corydoras so that's why I used meds. Have a pair of albinos that have been with me since I started my tank. Strong bond with them lah.
    As for my shrimps, so far they are still around even after I added med.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi hh

fish dieases can first be defined in two catagories which are:

1. External Dieases
    2. Internal Dieases

External

With most true external dieases, with the exception of higher formed parasites like anchor worms and fish lice, it is generally a syptom to water conditions that may have altered for the worse which stresses the fish rendering them prone to stuff like ich, fin-rot, cloudy eyes...however, there could also be the possibility that it may have been brought into one's tank via new fishes and or the lfs water...dieases like chilodonella, slime diease, velvet....

It may be good practise (for external dieases) to check the water conditions and that all equipment are functioning, next is to flush the filter if it has not been done for 2 months. Salt is a very effective first line treatment for most external dieases...dosage at a minimium of 1tbsp to 5 gallons of water, and up to 2 tbsp...salt treatment usually last up to 2 to 3 weeks depending on the situation. If med is of the preference, ensure that they are biosafe or risk nuking the biological.

As for higher form of parasite like anchorworms and fish lice, the preferred treatment will be coppersafe or by hauling infected fish and using a tweezer and literally plucking the parasite off.

Internal

As with most internal dieases, most if not all treatment are some form of antibotics..and again it is different with intestinal or rectrum worms. Again with antibotics, only the gram negative type are biosafe while the gram positive antibotics are not...as for deworming, it is to my understanding that deworming meds for cats and dogs are given to the fish via fish food.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    salt being harmful to cories is a myth
    mine took up to 3 tbsp per 5 gallons
    just be sure to mix in the salt carefully so the cories don't get hit with the salt water directly

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    One of the best way I find personally to treat many diseases is to raise the water temp especially ich and velvet. in fact most medications i think work best with increase water temp. sometime just by increasing the temp alone helps to solve the problem.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yes and no
    increasing the temperature simply accelerates the lifecycle of the parasite
    if you are using meds, the susceptible stage of the parasite will be wiped out
    but if you're increasing temperature alone, a few things can happen 1. parasite dies off (unlikely, requires >~ 32 degrees) 2. fish increase metabolic rate, fighting off parasite temporarily until temperature lowers again 3. parasite reproduce more quickly, killing off the fish

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i have tried using garlic juices and mix it with the mysis shrimps that i used to feed my fishes when they have whitespots.. and it works very well.. but i dun know whether will it work for FW.. perhaps can try it???
    Kelvin
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.