Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

need some help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all bros, im new to planted and need some advice. just started my new planted tank 1 week ago with taiwan moss and some plants which i dunno the names. the plants are those selling at LFS for $1.50 type. my tank is a 4ft x 1.5 x 1.5. currently my light intensity is 72W consisting of pl lights. light is turn on for approx 8 hrs everyday. CO2, im using those bottle type selling at LFS which can last for abt a month. tank consist of base fert and followed by 1" of gravel(lapis sand). No liquid fert use. the problem now is, without having any fish inside, my tank is cloudy and has not clear up even after 1 week. the feeling of the water is also oily. is this problem related to leaching of fert? and how do i have to remedy this problem? pls advise... thanx

first,r u using a new filtration system with new filter medias..?
    i had the exact experience u did,worried abt fert leaching etc,the water was like so damn clody (see liao oso sianzzz type...)
    mine is a 2ft tank,it took abt 2 weeks for the cloudiness to clear...
    it shd be a norm if ur filter medias are all brand new...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yah... they are all brand new. im using a canister filter with new media but had washed before operating.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    this is very weird, I've set up new tanks several times 1ft-3ft and the water always clear up within a day, even without fishes and only plants. I use JBL base fert under 1-inch thick gravel, and also bare ADA Aquasoil with no gravel.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/2/2003 1:07:17 AM

hi all bros, im new to planted and need some advice. just started my new planted tank 1 week ago with taiwan moss and some plants which i dunno the names. the plants are those selling at LFS for $1.50 type. my tank is a 4ft x 1.5 x 1.5. currently my light intensity is 72W consisting of pl lights. light is turn on for approx 8 hrs everyday. CO2, im using those bottle type selling at LFS which can last for abt a month. tank consist of base fert and followed by 1" of gravel(lapis sand). No liquid fert use. the problem now is, without having any fish inside, my tank is cloudy and has not clear up even after 1 week. the feeling of the water is also oily. is this problem related to leaching of fert? and how do i have to remedy this problem? pls advise... thanx
    ----------------
    Be patient.

The sand, if not washed before (actually no need to wash), seem to take longer to settle. Let the filter do the job. Wait another week. I have waited 3 weeks for water to clear before.

If you want to speed up the process, can try some of those water clearing products. It helps in some cases. Make sure no fish inside as it stresses them. After that, if you like, can also try to add some bacteria to start the bacteria colony faster. Actually some fish (like algae eaters) inside will do the job of building the bacteria colony in the filter.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok thanx... but today i found that one of my plant is completely broken down into bits and pieces... very hard to clear up and what abt the oily feeling of the water? izzit normal? also, there is a white and furry stuff growing on my air stone. thanx alot for spending your time to help.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sounds like DIY CO2 stuff leeching. Those bottle type? u mean those NutraFin/JBL bottles?
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yah... its JBL bioCO2...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You might want to try putting another filter bottle (can DIY using tubes and small mineral water bottle, with 2 tube connector)between the JBL bottle and your air stone. Concept is like a bubble counter, just make sure no CO2 leaks (can use soap solution test techniques).

Anyway, using those for a 4 footer tank.... *shrug*
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    do you have styrofoam background? cos if you don't wash carefully, those leach some oil. use paper towels to mop it up. will clear up eventually

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    nope... not using styrofoam background.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/2/2003 3:43:23 PM

You might want to try putting another filter bottle (can DIY using tubes and small mineral water bottle, with 2 tube connector)between the JBL bottle and your air stone. Concept is like a bubble counter, just make sure no CO2 leaks (can use soap solution test techniques).

Anyway, using those for a 4 footer tank.... *shrug*
    ----------------
    so in your opinion i shld be getting the canister type? cos im running out of $$ currently so cant afford one and using this temporarily. how to tell whether there is CO2 leaks? i can see bubbles coming out from the air stone but after one day, there will be white stuff growing on it

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    [/quote]

so in your opinion i shld be getting the canister type? cos im running out of $$ currently so cant afford one and using this temporarily. how to tell whether there is CO2 leaks? i can see bubbles coming out from the air stone but after one day, there will be white stuff growing on it
    ----------------
    [/quote]

Those white stuff issit slimy? I had a similar prob too with my [4x1.5x1.5]ft and i'm using a co2 canister. Takes 'bout 3 weeks to clear. What I did is I changed 'bout 20% of water i.e. 3x before I it clears up. I was advised to plant stem plant initially to absorbed all the neutrient fast. So it works for me... I believed it works to for you. Just save some money now to finance your canister co2.

Hope this help! Me a newbie too, I understand your frustration.

-FND->

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i had a few stem plants... but how do i know whether they are surviving? cos i tink its carbomba died today and breaks down to pieces when i tried to remove it. i wanted to do diy co2 to cut the cost but due to the lack of time, i decided to use the JBL co2 first.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    cabomba is more a high light plant and will do well with good co2 injection. They need to be planted spacious enough to allow light to reach the bottom.

Looking at your tank size which is about 67USG, you will need :
    - Highlight ~200W to achieve 3W/USG
    - Average/Mid ~168W to achieve ~2.5W/USG
    - or lesser for low light

You are in the extreme low light end, time to add more.

DIY Co2 does better in a much smaller tank. 4ft, I doubt its of any use.

Good luck and keep us updated.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok... thanx bro. im currently trying to modify a fl to pl and that will add up to 144 when done. saving for the canister co2 now. so final question is..... izzit normal for the water to have a oily feeling? thanx []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am having 144W for my 3ft. You will probably need another 72W to achieve the 3W/USG, otherwise it will do well for most shade plants and many plants which i think are less demanding.

Oily things refers to the film at the water surface? Get a surface skimmer.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    actually, what i intended to do is only to get those low light required plants therefore only going for abt 2W/USG. thanx for the advice...

Feedback Score
    hi,

i have 3 ft tank. using 2 x nutrafin DIY Co2.

1. white slimy stuff observed on both flipper/diffuser. added bubble counter and still have white slimy stuff albeit a lot less. emailed hagen and the experts say thats expected sometimes and it is harmless. occasionally, i still clean the flippers with a cotton bud.

2. oil film and cloudy water (had them for about a week). the latter just change water maybe 2 times a week at 20%. if you got new cannister filter, i suggest dosing bacteria. i am using microb-lift. doze them after lights out. helps build up bacteria in the tank and filter. the next day, water was crystal clear and oil film was gone! (nutrafin has them too i think it's Nutrafin - Cycle).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok... thanx bros.. i think all of u here had help answering my question. will get back here when problem arise again []