Thread: Siamese Algae Eater (S.A.E)

Feedback Score

Siamese Algae Eater (S.A.E)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear Aquarists,

I am pleased to announce that I have managed to find the original and elusive Siamese Algae Eater. Do note that there are many S.A.E wannabe's but there is only THE ONE !

All planted tank keepers will welcome this new addition to their tanks, the S.A.E is a hardy, peaceful and hardworking fish. It will immediately feast on most algae happily. (and the only species know to eat black beard algae and red algae)

I have tried numerous LFS searching for this elusive fish and even wrongly identified and bought a pair of "Flying Foxes" instead.

For correct S.A.E. identification please refer to these articles;
    http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/cyprinid.html
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/saes.htm

another article of interest;
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebI...cinclusart.htm

Most prominent feature of S.A.E is that they have 2 barbels.

I bought 3 for SGD 3.00 at THAT AQUARIUM at Blk 618 Yishun St. 61, #01-3236. (near Khatib MRT). I am a frequent visitor to the aquarium but S.A.E's do not come in regularly, those who are keen do rush down, I only saw 30-40 pcs.

Another favorite algae eater for me is the tiny otocinclus sp. they work best in teams < 3 and are very hardworking, best of all they never grow large.

Best regards,

Dennis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the correct SAE is quite common among the forummers here, Nature Aquarium regularly has them, and there are always people trying to give away the lazy grown-up ones

there has been quite a few discussions about the right (and wrong) SAE here, if you'd checked you would have saved yourself the flying fox [:]

Thanx for the info though.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry to give u a cold shower, but choy is rite.. its commonly found in many lfs.. yes, i do agree that some lfs label flying foxes as SAE.. and plus its normally sold $1 each

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, as those afraid of those lazy SAE. Give Otos a try. They will sometimes eat fishfood. But Most of the time they will just move away eating micro particle in the tank. Flying fox tend to be very aggressive. But when try keep otos with Discus. They actually provide cleaning service fr the discus.
    Henry aka joopsg
    Current tank: 1 4 tier 3ft fish rack
    Livestock: WC Ivanacara Adoketa, WC Apistogramma Kelleri 'Red Cheeks', A , WC Apistogramma Mendezi, WC Apistogramma Cruziero, WC Apistogramma Elizabethae and WC Biotoecus Operularis.

Feedback Score
    Well, that goes for being a newbie in the forum. []

I will have to login more often then.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ben at tb market usually have them at $0.60.

anyway, nowadays I don't add SAE to my tanks. Seems like their bad points are more than good ones.

Bad points:
    ------------------
    - sure feast on fish food
    - sure get lazy
    - grow big rather fast
    - dash around in the tank, distracting
    - feast on moss and make it botak

Good points:
    ------------------
    - eat BBA, when there's no food and when they feel like it.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually the SAE is a very beautiful fish in itself and should be appreciated as such. the one I have has been very hardworking, even though it is now close to 3in big, the scales is a stunning golden-greenish sheen.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    damm buggers are fast..

I'm trying to catch mine out (false sae though). no luck. spent 2 hours today trying to bait him. but he's smart!! grr.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/3/2003 1:19:35 AM

actually the SAE is a very beautiful fish in itself and should be appreciated as such. the one I have has been very hardworking, even though it is now close to 3in big, the scales is a stunning golden-greenish sheen.
    ----------------
    *Raise hand* agree!!! []

I think this fish has been under-rated as a "decor" fish. They are fairly entertaining too.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The BIG SAE at pet safari biggest planted tank look like shark when they swim. So fat and big.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    yupz, i agree that they are nice fishes and they do get quite tame actually... they will try to eat the hair on your hands when you put them in thinking theyar eworms or something... find that quite amusing actually...

but they are damnlazy... i have to say... longer than 1.5 inch... they stop eating algae and start waiting fo rteh fishy food oredi...

anyway, chris, i catch my SAE out at night, the big ones usually sleep in the "open", so after you off the lights for a while... try locating it with a touch... then you can slowly lower your net and catch it out... it works for me almost all the time not just for SAEs... give it a try...
    ----------------------------

do not do to others what you will not want done to you!

be kind! =)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    agree its a nice fish, bad points was stated on accord to their contribution to algae removal.

At a point of time, i actually wanted to have a tank with SAE platoon.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功