Country
    Singapore

collection of wild fish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi there

has any one ever thought of doing some collection of wild fish at places like streams at ubin etc...

maybe can form a group and try?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    There was but I dunno wat happen to the plan. But it won't be at Ubin though.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    u mean wreaking the eco system? collection of wild fishes shld be avoided... not only there is a risk of introducing bacteria into yr tank or introduce some into their natural environment.. no offence.. dun meant to offend anyone.. but since we r in this hobby, we shld learn to be responsible

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    go and collect all the "wild" LH and other non-indigenous fishes, let them RIP.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/3/2003 12:26:35 PM

go and collect all the "wild" LH and other non-indigenous fishes, let them RIP.
    ----------------
    Yea, I heard 'wild' Louhan is all over Kallang River.... nail em!!!
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I always do some collection at the hugh cannel behind Clementi where alot of people jog there. Quite a number of good tropical fish. So far I collected rasbora, tiger bard, swordtail and guess what an albino cory....
    But I got some also put in some, I use to release some guppies into the cannel.... I know this is illegue... Last week saw a hugh brown crane caught a LH at the cannel and fly off[:0] [:0]

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/3/2003 12:24:22 PM

u mean wreaking the eco system? collection of wild fishes shld be avoided... not only there is a risk of introducing bacteria into yr tank or introduce some into their natural environment.. no offence.. dun meant to offend anyone.. but since we r in this hobby, we shld learn to be responsible
    ----------------
    Er.... sorry.... but i thought alot of fishes we buy are WILD ???
    plecos, altums, apisto, cory, discus, cardinals ....and many many more..

just that they are from other countries and not from Singapore .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    read this thread for some discussion on fish collection.

click here

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    collection as in just a couple of a certain specimen if we find tthem different, not mass collection , i agree with Kenny.. aren't some highly sought for fishes for our planted tanks wild caught???no offence though

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wild caught fishes from South American is strictly controlled.. only allow a certain percentage to be caught, certain sizes.... but in SG, who does the controlling? if we do not hold that responsibility as hobbist, in the years to come, we would see native fishes no more, rather unresponsible hobbist who release their fishes into our reservior and small catchment areas

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    I agree with Simon.
    Just as a note, what are some native fish to Singapore? I imagine barbs mainly, but there are probably lots more...?
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mez, not exhaustive but An Aquarium in the Wild is a good place to start.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    three-spot gouramis, croaking gouramis, T-barbs, Tiger barbs, "flying" barbs, harlequins, Einthoveni's rasbora, two-spot rasboras, Boraras maculata, snakeheads, climbing perch, Clarias catfish, bumblebee gobies, mudskippers, archerfish, among others......

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/4/2003 11:22:28 PM

wild caught fishes from South American is strictly controlled.. only allow a certain percentage to be caught, certain sizes.... but in SG, who does the controlling? if we do not hold that responsibility as hobbist, in the years to come, we would see native fishes no more, rather unresponsible hobbist who release their fishes into our reservior and small catchment areas
    ----------------
    how about Thai, Indonesia, Malaysia, India or other asian countries , where we get our wild bettas and barbs and rasboras ?
    do they have some kind of controlled collection?
    just interested to know

so are the park rangers the only ones preventing people from catching/releaasing fishes into reservoirs now ?
    any way we can form a group or wat to watch over such activities ???[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmmm... just went to stream n caught some half beaks, some guppies n i tink some danios/rasboras... still cannot id it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if we do encourage such harvesting from our already limited resources, there will be a time where it will be abused. Starts from a simple "I only collect a few" but if u count the number of hobbist doing the same, then the numbers will increase by many folds.. surely we want to have something to show our children or our children's children in the years to come

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/22/2003 4:33:38 PM

hmmmm... just went to stream n caught some half beaks, some guppies n i tink some danios/rasboras... still cannot id it...
    ----------------
    Stream? in Singapore? I hope it's not in the protected zones. If you post some pics we can help you ID it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    nay, wasn't in the protected areas lar... haha... erm, somewhere ard my school area.... erm, tink it's pearl danio... is silverish to metallic purplish shine on the body with orange n blue lateral line halfway from the claudal to the mid of the body...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/23/2003 10:36:18 PM

nay, wasn't in the protected areas lar... haha... erm, somewhere ard my school area.... erm, tink it's pearl danio... is silverish to metallic purplish shine on the body with orange n blue lateral line halfway from the claudal to the mid of the body...
    ----------------
    doesn't sound like any indigenous fish, unless you're attending jungle training school, likely your classmate conveniently dumped his unwanted fish into the longkang still would be interesting to see a pic.