Country
    Singapore

Total disaster in the current setup, need to redo, please a

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My current tank is a total disaster.

1. The Vallisneria are always melting away (temp too high)
    2. Glosso grown upwards and not spreading (lack of lights)
    3. moss not growing and had infested with hair alage (temp too high ~ 31/32degC)
    4. Aponogeton ulvaceus just had a rotten core, stink!
    5. Rotala red turned green (insufficient lights)

Had been adding fertilizer on a regular weekly basis. Water change every 2 months. CO2 running at 3bps.
    Planning to add in another pair of light to provide more lighting. DIY AC fan to help cool down the temperature.

A total redo for the layout is under plan and hereby I need some expert advise on the type of hardy plants to put in the tank.

Could anyone advise me on the type of hardy plant that is both beautiful to look at and is not a hassle to maintain?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    water change every TWO MONTHS!? you've got fishes in there?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Weekly 30% to 50% water change is good practise to remove excess nutrient buildup and to add some trace elements found in tap water.

Getting a fan is a good idea too.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just get hornwort(Ceratophyllum demersum)alone. This plant definitely meet your reqirements.
    First, you don't need to plant it in the substrate, so that save you the money to buy any base fertiliser and gravels, just use a cheap like 5 dollars a bottle liquid fertiliser will do.
    Second, it doesn't reqire a lot of light, unlike Glossostigma elatinoides, so you don't need to add any light. In fact if you put the aquarium near the window/balcony, the sunlight is more than sufficient for this plant.
    Third, it can prevent algae from growing due to its allelochemicals. You won't have algae problem anymore.
    Fourth, its a zero maintenance plant, if there is a bloom, just pull out the excess plant and throw/give away.
    Finally, its so hardy that you can save your money on a fan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have some low mantenence grass to give away if you wan it, i trim every month and have about 4-5 bushes spare.

Robin
    i always fighting algae but still got more

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/3/2003 10:39:24 AM

Just get hornwort(Ceratophyllum demersum)alone. This plant definitely meet your reqirements.
    First, you don't need to plant it in the substrate, so that save you the money to buy any base fertiliser and gravels, just use a cheap like 5 dollars a bottle liquid fertiliser will do.
    Second, it doesn't reqire a lot of light, unlike Glossostigma elatinoides, so you don't need to add any light. In fact if you put the aquarium near the window/balcony, the sunlight is more than sufficient for this plant.
    Third, it can prevent algae from growing due to its allelochemicals. You won't have algae problem anymore.
    Fourth, its a zero maintenance plant, if there is a bloom, just pull out the excess plant and throw/give away.
    Finally, its so hardy that you can save your money on a fan.

----------------
    [] [] []

perhaps u should fill up the help checklist and fill in the parameters for your tank, so that the pros here can help u, otherwise ur description is not very helpful - except for the TWO MONTHLY water change, really saving on water.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi georgeer,

You can try plants from the echindorus family. Those are pretty hardy, don't need low temp. or high lights. Crypts are suitable too.