Thread: "Help, Yamoto Shrimps Dying"

Feedback Score

"Help, Yamoto Shrimps Dying"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all EXPERTS,

I had a question for u EXPERTS to help me!

My 2ft tank is coming to 2mths old, all along my Yamoto Shrimps are doing well, no death occur in e tank. E co2 & light run till morn then my mum will off e light but co2 still continue to run. After e light is off for 6 hrs & co2 continue to run, i found my Yamoto Shrimps dying, quickly off e co2 & put in a airstone & on e spare air pump, in e end only lost 1 Yamoto Shrimp(Temperature @27.0, cant be bcos of e heat).

Qns 1: Can someone tell me why is this happening?
    Qns2: After 8-10hrs of light & co2 run, wat do u EXPERTS do? Off e light & co2 then on e airpump? Wont there be loss of fishes & shrimps?

Appreciate if someone share wif me wat u EXPERTS do! Tks & cheers!

Rgds
    Riccia_Craze

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    do you know the co2 concentration when the lights are on and off?
    if your co2 bubbling rate gives you 20-30ppm during photoperiod then keeping the same co2 injection rate, will result in co2 overdose.
    so your shrimps may be dead due to co2 overdose.
    are they any other inhabitants in your tank other than the yamato shrimp?

normally, co2 is injected only during the light on period. a solenoid is used to 'switch on/off' the co2 supply. if you are not using a solenoid, switching on an air pump to outgas excess co2 works as well.
    thomas liew

i on my co2 24hrs and my co2 is abt 20ppm but i do not have any problem of prawns or fishes dying..actually u should be able to see if it is co2 overdose cos ur fishes will be gasping for air

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    24hrs CO2 injection is fine as long as the concentration does not exceed 35ppm. For example, for a KH of 3, you should have a pH of 6.4-6.5 just before the lights came on and hit no more than 6.6-6.7 for optimal plant growth....getting a pH of lesser than 6.4 means that your injection rate is too high for your tank for 24hrs CO2 injection. Hope that helps...
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    your co2 concentration will not be a constant 20ppm through out the day.
    if your co2 during light off period is 20ppm, it is fine. maintaining this bubbling rate, during light on period, you'll have a much lower co2 concentration as plants will be using co2.

so if your co2 concentration during light on period is 20ppm, then during light off period, your co2 concentration is going to go up, possibly to overdose levels. during light off plants don't make use of co2 but gives out co2 and fishes gives out co2 as well.

btw, new2planting, your description of the problem is vague. need more information.
    1) when was yamato shrimps added, from the begining?
    2) anything else added to tank prior to shrimp dying?
    3) any change in your co2 injection and lighting period routine?
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    New2planting,

Kindly refrain from posting the same msg in multiple forums, thanks. I have deleted the dupicate in Medical Room.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    So SORRY Vinz, i didnt know i cant do a duplicate/multiple posting cos didnt know i should post it where. Eagerness of getting e explanation of e death of my Yamoto Shrimp overruns me. Pls accept my apologies. Tks. Wont repeat e same mistake again, hereby promise. []

Rgds,
    New2planting

Feedback Score
    Hi all EXPERTS, tks alot for all your valuable explanations & suggestions. I learnt a great deal after u guys explained to me. Will bear in mind inorder not to repeat e same mistake again. Once again, tks alot guys! Cheers!
    []

Rgds,
    New2Planting