4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Got poison after looking at the Vivariums picture done by all the pro here.. Then decide to use a small tank to try out.. Here the picture... Sorry if the picture is to blur or unclear...

Front view...

Top view...

I feel that i use to much GS... Need some advice before i continue this project... Thank...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help

In my opinion, it looks great. This is a 1ft tank, with the perhaps too much Great Stuff applied. i think you can trim some of it away using a penknife.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for sharing.

At least it is on going unlike my most current work which has been given a "HALT WORK" order...
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cdckjn View Post
    In my opinion, it looks great. This is a 1ft tank, with the perhaps too much Great Stuff applied. i think you can trim some of it away using a penknife.
    Thank for viewing n yr advice i have trim some of the GS n stick on Horiti moss with silicone but silicone not enough need to go buy again... Must i wait for 7 days for the silicone to fully cure?

Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    thanks for sharing.

At least it is on going unlike my most current work which has been given a "HALT WORK" order...
    Thank for viewing.. Y most current work which has been given a "HALT WORK" order??? We are waiting to see your great project...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro,

You did well!

I feel that you need to trim off the GS ..away the shining parts and you may place silicon with peat or concrete. Your GS foam will look realism with concrete or silicon with peat.

hope this will help you.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eddy planer View Post
    Hi bro,

You did well!

I feel that you need to trim off the GS ..away the shining parts and you may place silicon with peat or concrete. Your GS foam will look realism with concrete or silicon with peat.

hope this will help you.
    Thank for viewing.... I have silicon GS with peat but i got a problem after i leave it for 1 day and i wash it off most of the peat come out.... Is there any way to make the peat stick on GS?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by reborn4ever View Post
    Thank for viewing.... I have silicon GS with peat but i got a problem after i leave it for 1 day and i wash it off most of the peat come out.... Is there any way to make the peat stick on GS?
    Hi bro

sorry bro..

In my 6ft palu, i dont rinse them (silicon /peat) but I'll wash or rinse the foam or concrete with vinegar and water to lower the PH about 4-5x before i add silicon and peat/moss.

I felt that this wash or rinse with water are totally unnecessary. What i did..i dont wash it at all, i just mist them.The reason why i just need the peat and moss to be moist at all time, that all.The flora will grow and rely on its food within the peat. There is no reason why and you need to know this peat and silicon are totally non toxin to fauna and flora.

I suggest you overlay the black silicon( if you have) on top of the affected area and you need to reapply the peat /moss generously within 3 mins before the silicon start to cure.Then allow to 36hrs to fully cure and just mist them that all. DO NOT RINSE THEM and just leave it alone and keep it moist all the time.Then you will see the glorious sight of your DIY work!

Hope this will help you.
    Last edited by eddy planer; 12th Apr 2010 at 09:03.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I think i have fail this project... Egg crate dislocate gap here n there... Any bro can help me in this? Here is the picture of it.. Thanks...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro

sorry bro..

In my 6ft palu, i dont rinse them (silicon /peat) but I'll wash or rinse the foam or concrete with vinegar and water to lower the PH about 4-5x before i add silicon and peat/moss.

I felt that this wash or rinse with water are totally unnecessary. What i did..i dont wash it at all, i just mist them.The reason why i just need the peat and moss to be moist at all time, that all.The flora will grow and rely on its food within the peat. There is no reason why and you need to know this peat and silicon are totally non toxin to fauna and flora.

I suggest you overlay the black silicon( if you have) on top of the affected area and you need to reapply the peat /moss generously within 3 mins before the silicon start to cure.Then allow to 36hrs to fully cure and just mist them that all. DO NOT RINSE THEM and just leave it alone and keep it moist all the time.Then you will see the glorious sight of your DIY work!

Hope this will help you.

Thank for your advice... I wanted to make a waterfall for the tank so i wash the peat to see if it stick on the GS but most of the peat fall off ... May i know what brand of vinegar you are using?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think i have fail this project... Egg crate dislocate gap here n there... Any bro can help me in this? Here is the picture of it.. Thanks...

Hi there.

In my opinion, you did well. In fact if you were to visit wildsky.net, you will notice that there is one particular thread where the creator of the enclosure has to apply and reapply silicone to the tanks/wall at least 5 times until he has all areas covered.

The trick here is patience, dedication and commitment.

After every application of silicone/peat and after it has cured for at least 48 hours, gently tapped the set up and inspect for drop off. Keep on repeating the process until you get what you want.

Remember: Patience is the key here to achieve what you want.

Cheers!!
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thank for your advice... I wanted to make a waterfall for the tank so i wash the peat to see if it stick on the GS but most of the peat fall off ... May i know what brand of vinegar you are using?
    Hi reborn4ever

I only use peat and silicon for main flora back ground not waterfall.

if you want to create water fall, you should think of using either wood or rock for water to flow through not the peat and silicon.

Look at Kota Tinggi surroundings. The main water fall is mainly consist rocky and the other part is wood and rock.

No need to tear down your hard work DIY project.

I suggest you clear away the peat on the proposal water fall area and paint acrylic yellowish brown and black on the proposal waterfall area to create into like rock. After you did use vanishing paint to protect the acrylic paint.

or

Use couple of rocks and wood to create waterfall.If you find difficult to bond them together, apply black silicon( to cure 36hrs) to bond the wood, rock and the background foam together to create waterfall.You need to plumbing through up to the top of wood and rock according to your likeness.

Let me know if you need some helping hand. Anyway You can do it, right bro.

BTW use only white or clear vinegar to lower down the PH level.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro reborn4ever, what Altumlover76 and Eddy said are correct, you need lots of patience for this... I repeatedly silicon and apply the soil 4-5 times over 2 weeks before I start getting somewhere so bottom line is be patient my friend

As for the waterfall you can either use stones/slates or even driftwood/any other wood or even DIY waterfall using PVC pipes/silicon and some peat/soil mixture... the good thing about doing setups is there's no right or wrong way of doing them... it depends on how creative you can be
    “Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”
    "If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."
    - Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!
    DeZ aka Desmond

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Brother, good job so far, do continue and never give up! I like what eddy_planer says. I think you should paint the Great Stuff with acrylic paint (brown or black or whatever colour you want first) then reapply the silicon and cover with peat. Either that or you get some wood/rocks/stones to cover up all the "gaps"
    Now I suggest that you use black silicon to stick the rocks/small gravels/wood so that the white gaps is not so obvious.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    Hi there.

In my opinion, you did well. In fact if you were to visit wildsky.net, you will notice that there is one particular thread where the creator of the enclosure has to apply and reapply silicone to the tanks/wall at least 5 times until he has all areas covered.

The trick here is patience, dedication and commitment.

After every application of silicone/peat and after it has cured for at least 48 hours, gently tapped the set up and inspect for drop off. Keep on repeating the process until you get what you want.

Remember: Patience is the key here to achieve what you want.

Cheers!!
    Thank for viewing n your viewing... I will be patience....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi reborn4ever

I only use peat and silicon for main flora back ground not waterfall.

if you want to create water fall, you should think of using either wood or rock for water to flow through not the peat and silicon.

Look at Kota Tinggi surroundings. The main water fall is mainly consist rocky and the other part is wood and rock.

No need to tear down your hard work DIY project.

I suggest you clear away the peat on the proposal water fall area and paint acrylic yellowish brown and black on the proposal waterfall area to create into like rock. After you did use vanishing paint to protect the acrylic paint.

or

Use couple of rocks and wood to create waterfall.If you find difficult to bond them together, apply black silicon( to cure 36hrs) to bond the wood, rock and the background foam together to create waterfall.You need to plumbing through up to the top of wood and rock according to your likeness.

Let me know if you need some helping hand. Anyway You can do it, right bro.

BTW use only white or clear vinegar to lower down the PH level.

Thank for viewing n your advice... Yes i can do it btw may i how what acrylic paint n vanishing paint u are using... Can show me the picture or may i know where to buy it... I got a big gap on the both side of wall, dont know what to do about it... Can u give me some advice.. Thanks...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by dkk08 View Post
    Hi bro reborn4ever, what Altumlover76 and Eddy said are correct, you need lots of patience for this... I repeatedly silicon and apply the soil 4-5 times over 2 weeks before I start getting somewhere so bottom line is be patient my friend

As for the waterfall you can either use stones/slates or even driftwood/any other wood or even DIY waterfall using PVC pipes/silicon and some peat/soil mixture... the good thing about doing setups is there's no right or wrong way of doing them... it depends on how creative you can be
    Thank for viewing n advice... O.o silicon n apply the soil for 4 - 5 time over 2 weeks u must have buy alot of silicon... Btw I got a big gap on the both side of wall, dont know what to do about it... Can u give me some advice.. Thanks..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cdckjn View Post
    Brother, good job so far, do continue and never give up! I like what eddy_planer says. I think you should paint the Great Stuff with acrylic paint (brown or black or whatever colour you want first) then reapply the silicon and cover with peat. Either that or you get some wood/rocks/stones to cover up all the "gaps"
    Now I suggest that you use black silicon to stick the rocks/small gravels/wood so that the white gaps is not so obvious.

Thank for viewing n advice... I will never give up only halt on this project... I got a big gap on the both side of wall, dont know what to do about it... Can u give me some advice.. Thanks..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thank for viewing n advice... O.o silicon n apply the soil for 4 - 5 time over 2 weeks u must have buy alot of silicon... Btw I got a big gap on the both side of wall, dont know what to do about it... Can u give me some advice.. Thanks..
    well considering my tank is 2.5ft cube, I used about 10 bottles of silicon if my memory doesn't fail me...

gap on the sides? silicon! Or u can try stuff dried moss...
    “Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”
    "If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."
    - Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!
    DeZ aka Desmond

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

well considering my tank is 2.5ft cube, I used about 10 bottles of silicon if my memory doesn't fail me...

Desmond..you only use 10 bottles of silicon for 2.5ft tank that's lot! Next time use concrete, GS, acrylic paints to do the job.Its cheaper this way.

For my 6ft palu ,I used up only 8 bottles,lah. Maybe for my next project will be even bigger and maybe I'll use more than the current on.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank for the reply... 10 bottles of silicon is the tube type that need a gun to push to silicon out or the toothpaste type of silicon? As for the gap i will see what i can do... But i need to put a halt on this project for awhile.. And will be you all update.. Thanks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast