Country
    Singapore

2.5Ft Tank on a Shelf

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Need some advice on a tentative 2.5Ft plant tank.

Gravel will be about 30+kg, with weight of water etc would easily bring it to about 70+kg.

What sort of shelves would be suitable for supporting this tank ?

IKEA lumberyard shelves, or ?? Please advice....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    u can check with the staff on the weight capacity.. oso, some products has it listed in the catalog (TV console).. perharps a 2.5ft is way too big... try something smaller.. at least u dun have constant worries that it will give way one day

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/6/2003 9:50:54 AM

Hi,

Need some advice on a tentative 2.5Ft plant tank.

Gravel will be about 30+kg, with weight of water etc would easily bring it to about 70+kg.

What sort of shelves would be suitable for supporting this tank ?

IKEA lumberyard shelves, or ?? Please advice....
    ----------------
    I also have a 2.5 ft but i think 30kg of gravel is abit too much, maybe 20kg will be sufficient. Also u estimate your tank only 40kg? That is too conservative.

What is your actual dimension of the tank and also the thickness of the glass. a 8mm thick tank can weigh much more than a 6mm tank.

1L of water is about 1kg. Total weight shld include gravel, base fert, tank + water + rock(if u have any).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi thanks for your responses so far.

I am not going to put any base fert, so some weights eliminated there, also 01 bag of gravel is 23kg which i am using not more then 01 bag.

Seems like trouble now, so what is the best way to mount my tank? Buy a Wrought Iron stand? Or how....please advice.

I saw a rack at IKEA that says it supports up to 70kg but the height is very low, its those TV rack sort but of course i am not putting up any TV there heehee.....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hi ek,

so how do you mount or where do u rest ur 2.5ft tank eh?

abit curious too how come those fish tank cabinets can sustain the weight eh ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my tank come with a cabinet. have been using it for 3yrs+. But normally such cabinet are more ex so it all depend on your budget. A 3ft 2 tier rod iron stand will cost something around $55.

But since it is planted tank, i would suggest getting a cabinet to make it more "class" esp if u were to place the tank as a center piece in the living room.

If u specify the total weight of the tank, the carpenter shld be able to custom make one to substain the load.

Please search previous post for such "lobang".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ikea has 2 ranges in the lumberyard section. One is Sten and I can't remember the other. One of them can take a lot of weight (way more then any tank normal dimension tank that fit on it). Its the coarse, rougher one... does not have cabinet modules. Should be able to support your tank.

Note: you have to put make sure that the brace is properly installed else it becomes shaky. Another solution is to nail wooden boards to the legs on three sides so it becomes like a enclosed book case.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    think i will proceed to IKEA lumberyard section again to check on the ones you mentioned. I did browse through what you mentioned but the way the shelves are supported seems dodgy leh.

The shelves are like those pallets right?

seems pretty soft abit scary.

Maybe if you put a thin pc of wood the size of the shelf 1st, then the styrofoam and then your tank. It should be OK.

BTW, the shelf size should be 2.5'x1' if I remember correctly. Only thing is that a portion of your tank might be blocked by the horizontal wood supports/legs at the corners

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    okie thank you for all your help. appreciate it. As for having the wood block the corner of the tank, no choice. [:0]

Beggars cannot be choosers right...... []

If anyone has anymore ideas, please continue to pour in. Really appreciate the advice so far, gives me better direction man.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    At the IKEA Lumberyard, you can find the IVAR and STEN modular shelves.
    I've the STEN shelf in my storeroom. They are made of unfinished soft pine. They can probably take the weight of the tank, but the question is whether they can do it without the center portion sagging down. I seriously doubt so. Give a slight pressure to the middle portion and you'll know why.

Nevertheless, I've seen some pictures of tanks supported on STEN shelves before. I think the pictures are in arofantics.com. If you insist on trying, do give the pine a good varnish to protect it from water splashes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    probably to preventing it from sagging from the center what if i nail a pieces of wood, adjacent to the planks, wouldnt that mechanically stiffen the structure?

haha wild ideas.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think getting a metal stand would be better than getting the wooden rack frim Ikea. The price may not differ that much and metal would be safer to support the tank.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]