Thread: Electronic CO2

Feedback Score

Electronic CO2

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I'm a newbie setting up a planted tank. I went to a LFS and they recommended me to use electronic co2 instead of the co2 tank type. They told me that it is safer to use electronic co2. Need some advice from the experienced.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How safe is safer? With the electrical one, you might risk electrocuting yourself when sticking your hands into the tank.

I tried it when i had low light fixture (< 2W/UGS, 3ft) and it didnt work, not so sure how it fare with better lightings. Some models will need a certain KH level to work. On top of this, the device collects dirt and needs to be clean periodically. Replacement of the plate is probably few months to half a year.

Why not save yourself troubles investing in a CO2 Cylinder, and which injects pure Co2 readily into your tank?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

I think if your is a small tank (below 2 ft) it should be ok.
    But do bear in mind, you need to replace the cartridge once it
    is used up. (depends on your setting & brand will last between 3-6 months)
    This my personnal opinion.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    correct. at those prices. co2 top up is way cheaper

i have used it before ...frankly speaking not worth it cos firstly the replacement plate is not is not cheap and after putting in ur tank for a few weeks u will notice the plate will give out something that will cloud the tank hope this help

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    It's not for a soft water tank at all.
    Also, you can only use it up to about 60 gal/227L or so.

You cannot use it on multiple tanks. Gas you can and add as many as you want for tthe cost of a Tee and a needle valve.
    Gas itself is cheaper than the blocks.

They are simple, the neophyte might be fine with hardwater, smaller tank with no plans of expansion.
    Odd tank placement (At work etc).

I like the "idea" and tried one and know folks that have used them for almost a decade. He now has a gas system.

"Safer" is not a selling point for something electric and in the water. CO2 are everywhere and many folks walk right by devices that use these(Soda fountain machines, bars that serve Beer etc).

CO2 doesn't burn, electrocute, stink etc.
    It's cheap also once you get the tank etc.

CO2 gas also last forever almost(Mine's 14 years old). Electronic CO2? I know of none older than the one that burned out after 8 years. Maybe they do okay later but I know Gas tanks CO2 does.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. That was all very helpful.

That dude at the shop said it was safer cause Co2 gas will explode if eg. you are smoking near it (not that I'm going to do that anyway), and told me now everyone is upgrading to electronic co2. That shop also recommended me to buy a Jebao filter instead of Ehiem filter cause it's just as lasting. And of course, he did mention that all his customers are using Jebao instead of Ehiem even though he carries both brands.

Anyway, will definitely go for a gas set up.

Feedback Score
    derek which lfs you went??seem to me he care more profit margin then the customer.

Feedback Score
    sorry, can i mention shop names? i'm new in this forum so i not sure whether i can do that.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I will be more worried if i smoke near an oxygen tank... co2? I thought its used for putting out fire...

Between, liquid co2 will cause frost burn if the leakage comes into contact with your skin, so just take note.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you're not likely to get any co2 burns from fish tanks. else the vast majority of us would be dead or disfigured.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Loupgarou,
    What lorba meant that in case where the tank valve gives way, the co2 spurting out will cause frost bite which may be quite nasty.

Derek,
    Thanks for be tactful for not disclosing the lfs name. It's good that you shared this info with us. I'm sure it will be most useful if ever something like this happens. But defaming lfs is absolutely not permitted here in the forum. Thanks again.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Defamation is not premitted on any list nor should be. But poor service and real truthful experiences are not defamation.
    Believe me, I've been down this road.
    But better safe than sorry, personally I'm not one bit sorry.
    I had nothing to be sorry about with my past statements when I complained about a company. But I held my tongue for a long long time before saying anything and what I said was true.
    You cannot say "Tom Barr is felon" when I'm not etc or make false statements that might financially injure someone.
    But if you are treated like crap, and you tell the truth about what happened, legally you are in the right. Folks in the USA like to sue for about anything. It can cost $ to defend even if you previal and were right to begin with.
    Many folks don't want to go to this level and few companies in their right minds would ever sue a customer. So this is a very very rare case on the net.

But back to the real topic:

CO2 is in no way explosive. Unless you take a hammer to the tank valve etc, it's plenty safe and the tanks are tested about every 5 years anyway.

The electronic CO2 is in no way an upgrade, I think most plant forums and plant growers would call it a novelty, or a down grade at best.

The Store likes them since it's easy to explain the customer and only they can sell the device and the carbon blocks, a LFS cannot compete with CO2, dry ice welding and other CO2 suppliers.

I can see why they might say this but if I had a store I'd get decent reg's, needle valves, Bubble counters, reactors and sell tanks perhaps also. They can get this stuff wholesale and mark it up like anything else they sell.

I'd have the nutrients with my own labels etc.
    Good selection of plants etc.

There's $ to be made either way but saying it's more dangerous, cost more, suggesting electrolysis is an upgrade is not right.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/8/2003 2:40:54 AM

Loupgarou,
    What lorba meant that in case where the tank valve gives way, the co2 spurting out will cause frost bite which may be quite nasty.
    ----------------
    sherwin, tks for clarifying

yup loupgarou, I was referring to leaking co2 tank. If its the fish tank, you'd probably be seeing me walking around with bone-only arms.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    too much terminator show lately? ha ha...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    burns from fish tanks.
    hey.. its a typo. I meant co2 tank.. heh

unless you're somehow reproducing a bog biotope with peat producing methane gas...