Images
    Country
    Singapore

Swamp eel!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

Cute huh? Had it since 2007, this is an old picture. I had more than 10 of them at varied sizes, some which I caught from a pond and some which Eman kindly donated to me. Most went into a 1.5x1x1 ft tank, some went into my office tank. Most of them had died since (by jumping out) they can breath air to some extent. I still have 2 of them in a 1.5x1x1ft tank, im sad to say they are at almost 1m length each.

This is a different eel which lived in my office tank, it jumped tank and died, it actually jumped 3 times, but was rescued the previous 2 times. I still have no idea how he escaped last as the tank is covered securely (so I thought) with eggcrates, possily it squirmed through the holes (he is very thick however). You can see its very interactive, comes out when we knock on the tank and especially when I place the siphon in to feed it bloodworms.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Swamp eel!

Here is my new batch of eels, had 4 but due to cannibalism left with only 3 They were the size of tubifex worms but who would have thought it now? Feeding on moina and tubifex worms mainly. I comm it with snails to create detritus.

Eel coming up for abit of air

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Keep the pictures coming. Really interesting fishes you have.

I find fishes have a knack of finding holes to jump through.

I noticed a shrimp in the tank of the second eel. It has no interest in them as food?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Here is my 2 eels in my 1.5 ft home tank feeding on some massivore delite, it looks like overcrowding Would you believe that there were 5 in there previously? Of course they were much smaller than. There are also over a hundred wild type shrimp in there. When they are smaller they ate the shrimp, but the eels seems to prefer a fish diet. The one actively eating was a stunted specimen due to competition from the rest, after most of them were released/transferred/died it grew from less than 30cm to the size it is in 2 month....

The grand old man of the tank. It is a bully ad bites the smaller eel. When tempted, it will raise its head 10cm+ vertically out of the tank to eat food, I don't do it anymore as it encourages him to try ways to escape! It is about 1m long.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

They actually sell this as food in some restuarants

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You can get live ones from the supermarkets as well. I had one as a pet briefly when it got washed up from a canal after a storm. Let it go when faced with too much oppsition at home.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Luckily I lived by myself! My fish are all in my room anyway, that was why I was able to recover them when they jump, it was just besides my bed. Although there was the time when my 4 ft tank leaked.... Yeah see this sold in Sheng Siong or Giant sometimes. Eman found the eels in a drain outside his home.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wow, very nice. where did u catch it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

any chance to purchase any of the smaller size ones?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hope you can get a bigger tank soon.
    - eric