Thread: "D.I.Y CPU Fans"

Feedback Score

"D.I.Y CPU Fans"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all EXPERTS,

I did e same D.I.Y Fans from e article of PetFrd. Initially done a 2 x 80mm(12V) CPU Fans, of course using a 12V AC/DC Transformer. Juz bought another 2 more 80mm(12V) CPU Fans, want to set it up together using juz e same 12V AC/DC Transformer. Question is e 12V AC/DC Transformer able to run 4 x 80MM(12V) CPU Fans? OR will it be overheated and possibly causing a FIRE HAZARD? Kindly advise especially those who knows electrical or had done e same setup of 4 x 80MM(12V) CPU Fans with juz one 12V AC/DC Transformer.....thanks alot & deeply appreciate. Cheers.

Rgds,
    New2Planting
    [:0]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Check the current rating on the convertor and the fan. Normally fan is rated at 0.12A. Therefore 4 fans will need 0.48A (or 480mA). Your convertor should be rated at least 500mA to drive the fans.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/8/2003 4:03:59 AM

Check the current rating on the convertor and the fan. Normally fan is rated at 0.12A. Therefore 4 fans will need 0.48A (or 480mA). Your convertor should be rated at least 500mA to drive the fans.
    ----------------
    Thats a bit of pushing the limit. For any electrical supply, try to limit to 75% of its rated capacity. Of course, people will say, nothing has happen to me yet, but that is the risk they take.

Why not get the adaptor that can supply 1A - who knows you might want to add in additional fans..
    []
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Tks sherchoo & zmzfam, for e valuable & helpful info, i check out my transformer, it only able to take 350mA(max), meaning i can only hv 2 fans max! Need to buy another transformer. Any idea 12V AC/DC Transformer got higher mA?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you are talking about the ac-dc converter right, not just the transformer component? anyway, take a walk at Sim Lim Tower and the shops there are selling all sorts of things, should be able to get the converter you required.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    tks zmzfam,juz as i expected, need to run to SimLim Tower. Tks alot bro!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well, if u are lazy, just get a CPU Power box lor. It will cost u abt $20 to $30 depending on wattage. But u might need the extension cable to the fans. This way its faster and easier.

Feedback Score
    Wow, KingStriker, i'm lazy to go SimLim Tower but i dunno wat's a CPU Power Box....too chiem for me man! []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well, it figures actually. If u are using a CPU Fan, u can use the power box from a CPU Box. So if there a computer shop nearby, just rush down to get one.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ptroblem with CPU power supply is that they are errr..... metal cased... not really advisable for placing near tankful of water.

If you do have the power supply laying around, you can use it. But make sure that it is properly earthed. If you don't already have it, it's better to get a propper convertor which can withstand a 'little' splashing.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Thanks King & Sher for e valuable info, guess i learnt something new again today! U guys are surely more knowledgable than me.....I think i better get a Converter(Tranformer/Adapter)....will solve e problem. Once again, grateful to u all experts for helping me out & let me learnt something valuable again.

Cheers!!
    New2Planting
    []

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I DIY a set of fan for my tank. Using the usual plastic CPU fan. However the both fan started slowing down after a 2 months.. now both fan blade are jammed...

I wonder if the GH of water got something to do with it... I see white powdery stain on the reflector of my lighting. Read somewhere in the net that it is due to the GH. I belived these mineral deposit jammed my fan!

I planned to get a more powerful AC fan from Sim Lim. but have to look for one with low vibes and sounds.
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Lim,

Some shops will let you test for sound. IME, 12 cm fans start getting too noisy for me if they are 2 or 2.5 mAmps or higher.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Get the electronics transformer cost $10 - $18 depending on brand. It can drive up to 5A no worry of over loading or burn off. Can get from most lighting or electrical shop.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, if you about slashing water, ever though of getting an adaptor, cut the cables, and cut the cables on the CPU fan. Connect the wires using cable connectors and wrap it with black tape.

If you want the DC type, a battery box would be handy. Battery size can be chosen according to preferrence and battery recharger is preferred.

Just for your considerations, no need to follow though.

Feedback Score
    Hi about the DIY fans, I tried looking for them in Sim Lim, but seems that all of them cost at least 12-15 bucks. Where do you find the cheapo ones? Appreciate if someone could advise? How about the clamps?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, you try sim Lim Tower or Sim Lim Square. I got my for $2 each for a 80mm fan at Sim Lim Tower basement.
    Danny Chng

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    think that is about e price u can get for e fan.
    if u wan it cheaper maybe i advice u can steal, rob, or do some crazy things to get hold of e fan, just joking
    but think is all around that price range cuz i diy my also.
    test e fan first to make sure it is not noisy at all if u wanna buy. if not as times goes by all your fishes will be DEAF and later DEATH cuz the fishes cannot accept the fact that they are deaf and kill themselves so e death comes in. heehee some nonsensical stuff...

Feedback Score
    Thanks! Will try my luck later today.... let's see if I am goon enough not to find it again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    SL Sq for the fans whilst Tower for the electrical stuffs.