Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angel lays eggs but next day they're GONE!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Angel lays eggs but next day they're GONE!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Saw my Angels lay some eggs when i got home last night & was real surprise! But they were all gone the next morning,,,sad...so sad...although i wasn't expecting it.
    What should i do the next time? i thought the eggs should hatch in 3 days or so? I saw 3 of the angels guarding them & chasing the others away, i thought they would take care of it by themself. There's 11 agnels 2 discus & plenty of corys in my tanks. Maybe some can give me some pointers...

Attachment 17595

Attachment 17596

Attachment 17597
    Last edited by bigfthing; 7th May 2010 at 20:44.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Angel lays eggs but next day they're GONE!!

Hi

The eggs would have got eaten by other tankmates. Also did you off the lights at night? if yes, then that is even worse. The eggs will be gone when morning comes espcially in a comm tank.

Maybe when they lay on that piece of plastic again, you can take it out and artifically hatch the eggs out yourself. The eggs will hatch out in about 2 to 3 days and will be free swimming in about 5 days.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Lights off is a issue as other's ate it.

Try take out the pair and let them breed again in another tank. They breed very fast so no worries.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yup the lights was out! Okay I'll take out the next time but if it's on the glass then i think nothing can be done right?
    If i take out the plastic where the eggs are, do i just leave them in a empty tank? No need the parents right?
    Also there were 3 or 4 Angels guarding so i dont't really know which 2 are the parents hehe...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

if cannot determine the parents, i suggest take out the look like parents and use another tank for them, put broad leaves for them to lay eggs.

You should be able to see the fanning from the father or mother, if lucky can see them lay eggs and the father will introduce the sperm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

OK and may i ask how soon will that be happening again? Sorry but what is fanning?

Feedback Score
    Country
    China

Try take out the pair and put them in another tank ,use the original tank of water, it's better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all!!
    Please allow me to share my 2 cents worth of knowledge.

Firstly, may i ask what is the size of your tank? I have successfully bred and almost raise 3 brood of fries inside my 422 planted. The 422 was a community tank with plenty of tetras, chocolate gouramis and torpedo barbs. The plants inside were a mixture of vallisnernas, Nanas, crypt parvas, red tiger lotus and some other plants that i do not know.

Also I did not remove the parents fish with the brood because the parents were constantly with the eggs/fries, constantly fanning the breeding site. The fanning was to allow a circulation of water onto the eggs to prevent fungus attack/growth. Another reason for the parent fish to be constantly around the breeding site was to prevent/protects their brood from other overzealous fishes(I also have 12 other angel fish of various sizes inside the tank).

Also you may want to be sure whether are the eggs fertilise. I have encounters where the eggs were laid but it was never fertilise because both fish were female.

To ID the male from female is not difficult as the male tends to spot a bump on his forehead.

I will try to recover my photos of one particular spawn with photos of the parent fish.

Hope this helps
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

bro, you mean other fishes don't eat the fries? How you feed the fries??
    Last edited by celticfish; 23rd Apr 2010 at 16:05. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    bro, you mean other fishes don't eat the fries? How you feed the fries??

i don't recall the other fishes attacking the fries BUT what i do observe is that should the fries stray too far away, either of the parent fish will chase after the straying fry, suck it into its mouth and spit it out near the hosting site.

I fed them with daphina daily but sadly, I lost them because of poor husbandry

Let me go dig out the photos..
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

here are the photos
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...9/6/5/ahhh.jpg

FTS-422

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...big_fellow.jpg

Daddy fish

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...l_with_sac.jpg

baby with sac

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...6/5/mummy1.jpg

mummy fish

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...rdensoil1a.jpg

2ft by 1.5 by 1 ft garden soil with peruvian angel from Valice

Both tanks has since been decom and the fishes with plants given away.

I am also throwing away the 422 to make way for a brand new 4by2by50 cm deep tank. The 2 feet has been sold to bro mudskipper to make way for a 2 feet cube
    coming end april.

The 422 was with sump.

Thanks,

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

To me the first 2 weeks of free swimming heavy casulty all die, also 3 times I think so I give up sell the parents away

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

David is right. If layed and hatched in a comm tank, the fries wouldn't stand a chance where there are predators waiting to feast.

But fret not. If you can identify the pair, put them in a separate 2ft tank. When the water conditions are good, they are well fed and their health is good, they will soon spawn again.
    Angel Fish Lover,
    Gon Jinn

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bigfthing View Post
    Saw my Angels lay some eggs when i got home last night & was real surprise! But they were all gone the next morning,,,sad...so sad...although i wasn't expecting it.
    What should i do the next time? i thought the eggs should hatch in 3 days or so? I saw 3 of the angels guarding them & chasing the others away, i thought they would take care of it by themself. There's 11 agnels 2 discus & plenty of corys in my tanks. Maybe some can give me some pointers...
    Sorry to hear that, however the main culprits would be the Corydoras. They are highly active at night when the lights are out, and have been known to feast on eggs laid by other fish.

The next time the pair lays eggs, make sure you have a weak light source above the tank, just enough to see your fish moving about. Alternatively, remove the plastic piece with the eggs and place it in a separate tank with a sponge filter. Adding a small amount of methylene blue, just enough to tint the water blue is sufficient to keep fungus at bay. Note however, you will require some form of aeration in this hatching tank. Make sure the source of aeration is close to the eggs, as this simulates the fanning of the parents.

Once the fry are free-swimming, you can start them off on microworms or BBS, and they should be fine. Just don't overfeed and watch the water quality in the rearing/hatching tank. I use a plastic tank with a small sponge filter for this purpose.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gonjinn View Post
    David is right.

I am also David

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    I am also David
    Oops! Sorry, David; I was refering to David of Fotoudavid!
    Angel Fish Lover,
    Gon Jinn

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Alright Roger all thanks for all the advise, I will do what stormhawk advises the next time i see them. And if the lay on the glass then i guess just leave them there but with lights. Is there any sign to watch before they are about to lay eggs?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You can do that but as fish do not have eyelids and if you keep the lights on, all the fish in the tank won't be able to sleep and get proper rest.
    Angel Fish Lover,
    Gon Jinn

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

They Lay eggs again this morning! This time only left 2 corys in the tank so hope the eggs will make it!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Congrats ensure you prepare the food for babies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast