Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Power paint coating/ high temperature painting

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    a) if I have some lights (MH) that I want the casing repainted due to rust, how would be the best way to do it?

b) anyone can recommend a place that will do this?

c) I've checked nisson spray paints at homefix, they have an anti rust primer and a heat resistant silver color. will these do?

is there any need to prepare the surface besides wiping it with water?

d) is normal spray paint going to flake off when the fixture is heated? (metallic/pearl etc)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    think if u hv a rusty casing e best thing is to sand down wit sand paper whipe it clean than u spray.
    but normal paint will peel off after certain times cuz they are not meant to be heat resistant.
    get those heat resistant can spray paint will do, but e selection of colors is also limited. think a black color one will looks nice but is all up to individual la.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 6/11/2003 3:10:16 PM

a) if I have some lights (MH) that I want the casing repainted due to rust, how would be the best way to do it?

b) anyone can recommend a place that will do this?

c) I've checked nisson spray paints at homefix, they have an anti rust primer and a heat resistant silver color. will these do?

is there any need to prepare the surface besides wiping it with water?

d) is normal spray paint going to flake off when the fixture is heated? (metallic/pearl etc)

----------------

Hi,

I believe weather proof anti-rust paints for fencing and gates should work the best. Not sure whether there are high temperature paint coatings or not.

I did painting for my normal fishtank stand last year cos it rusted very badly. What I did is to sand all the rusty parts, then use a damp cloth to wipe off the excess rust and put it under the sun until dry. I went to the hardware store and bought myself a can of paint( i think it should be hammerite or wat, forgot the name already) Apparently, the instructions even mentioned that you can safely go over the rust with the paint.

Maybe you can try that paint if you cannot find "temperature-proof" paints?
    Regards,
    Brigitte

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Firstly ask urself are u planning to get another stand/casing or not? Would u be getting one? If bonus is already on the way, u might just satisfy urself with just a coat of paint.

So what if u are not getting any stand/casing? Use a scrapper to scrape off all the rust and paint (if any), after the stand is clear of rust, use Anti-Rust Paint. It could use 2 coatings if u want it to last. Sand paper for sanding off the rust is useful too.

After the Anti-Rust Paint (Red color usually) drys, u will need to apply minimum of 2 coats of color paint of your choice but I would recommend 3 coats. Dry each coats so it might take a while before u complete everything.

Why do we need so many layers? For one thing after thw Anti-Rust Paint, it tends to "Eat" the paint. You will know this when u apply ur first coat of color paint.

End of the day what do you get? A nice nice stand (if u paint it properly, heh heh ) that will last u at least 4 to 5 years.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok: I just bought the anti rust primer, nippon 322
    as well as heat resistant black (krylon up to 538 degrees Celsius) so should be suitable for MH casing.

I saw a heat resistant aluminium paint (silver color) but I think I rather like black (like my current MH lights).

I also got sand paper 240a lubricated silver carbide, the texture is just like the ones used for manicure, hope its not too harsh. (can get the finer ones used for smoothing plastic though).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do note that sand paper also got different ones. Get the finer ones for sanding. Do put newspaper around the stand/casing before u start sanding.

Else? [:] just prepare to mop the floor lor. Ha Ha Ha...