Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Trimming of plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    When trimming plants, do you guys like to trim inside your tank or take out the plants to trim? It depends for me. For some stem plants etc, i just use scissor to cut inside it but for those long grass type....dunno wat name....i take them out and peel off the outside which is old leaves and cut those very long ones. I find it easier like that and can reach out to more areas of the plants for precise trimming and pruning.

but when taking out the plants, alot of base fert came out with it but i believe they settle down real fast?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i would leave the plants as it is and do trimming.. de-rooting them might damage their root system, especially for larger plants like (echinodorus, lotus)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/12/2003 1:28:28 PM

i would leave the plants as it is and do trimming.. de-rooting them might damage their root system, especially for larger plants like (echinodorus, lotus)
    ----------------
    i see. If i cut the long roots, it will grow faster after i re-plant it into the gravel or the growth rate of the roots is the same?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    don't u think uprooting the plants just to trim their leaves is kinda extreme???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    not really. i got a type of plants like long grass type one.....peeling off the outside is better then cutting it with scissors coz cut liao looks err....very unsightly...the outisde is old leaves but inside is new lor so i just peel it off and then replant it back.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can u go check the tropica or dennerle online catalogues for the exact ID of the plant? There are countless grass like plants out there.

Why not just use long scissors to trim the leaf at its stem base? The remaining stem segment will rot and dissappear anyway. Sorry but i think it's rather silly to dig up a plant everytime u wanna prune it.... i think plants do much better if given time to settle and root down

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Plants get some of its nutrients from the substrate. To be effective, the roots have to grow and spread out into a network and occupy as much substrate as it needs. Each time you uproot the plant, you are severely damaging and depriving the plant of this life supporting network due to breakage and cutting. When you replant, the shortened roots are clumped together in one small area and cannot be effective. The plant then has to re-establish the network of roots only to be rudely uprooted again. Thus the plant cannot stabilise and will be unhealthy.

You can peel the leaves off while it is still rooted in the tank. Usually a sharp tug near the base of the leaf will neatly dislodge it. If you don't have a pair of long scissors (note: long like the ones LFS sell, not big), go get one, they make pruning easier and neater. I think you can get a decent pair from LFS for about $20 or less.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    wow...uprooting and pruning "lalang". i just let them rot a bit, then give a little tug with a pair of tweezers.

but the long overgrown ones, i have no choice but to cut them. i cut them at the point where they touch the surface of the water...that way not so obvious of the unsightly trimmings.

in any case, sometimes i trim the roots if they get intertwined among plants. dun really bother me as they are growing faster than i had expected.

btw, mine's vallisneria spiralis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    $20 scissor... I am using a $1 Primary Art & Craft scissor still can prune the plants... I only have problem pruning tight spot, due to the round front edge (safty).

Pruning and rescaping often kill my fishes... thus uprooting just to prune and put back... Think my whole tank will die off!
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/12/2003 3:16:44 PM

$20 scissor... I am using a $1 Primary Art & Craft scissor still can prune the plants... I only have problem pruning tight spot, due to the round front edge (safty).

Pruning and rescaping often kill my fishes... thus uprooting just to prune and put back... Think my whole tank will die off!
    ----------------
    hehe how u prune and rescape until ur fish die? Accidentally cut ur fishes while it swim pass ur scissor and u cut it?
    []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yoz, need some advice since we are on this topic!

May I know how do you guys trimmed stemmed plants like Bacopa Caroliana or Rotala Indica when they reach the water surface? U removed them and cut off their bottom and replant them back? Or u juz cut off the top and let the bottom portion grows new shoots? It seems to me that the bottom portion is usually covered with algae. How do u guys deal with that?

I try to grow rosette plants bcoz they are much easier to maintain! Juz trimmed off the old leaves and Voila! Talk about being lazy! heh! heh!

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    kadios, stemmed plants r different.. it depends really on individual.. some like to multiply so cutting off the top portion and replanting, or else, u can remove them cut the top portion and replant, the bottom portion can trash

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Simon,

I've been doing that but I'm concerned with the fertilizer that I stirred up. It clouds my water and makes a mess.

I'm also concerned that the fertizers may be "jumbled up" to the surface, leaving little for the roots. And these exposed fertilizers may release more nutrients to the water encouraging algae to grow.

Lastly, juz to have a peace of mind, u guys do the same and face the same problem too?

Cheers