Country
    Singapore

Question on Moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi pple,
    just tied some xmas moss that I got from Gan to a few pieces of drift wood, this is the 1st time im handling moss need some advise, can moss withstand strong lighting i am using 8x36watt pl in my 4ftx1.5ftx1.5ft is the light too strong for moss? But if i reduce the light i am worried that the glosso and hairgrass might be deprive of light, thanks.

Feedback Score
    in my experience, strong light is not a problem. i have 2x150W MH about 2ft above the water surface, and my moss on driftwood just below the surface and everything is fine.
    more important for moss is that the water must be cool enough.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ya... strong lights should not be a problem.
    get a fan if u do not have one, or a chiller if u got deep pockets. it will do e job to ensure a healthy christmas moss growth for this coming CHRISTMAS!

or ultimately put the whole tank inside the fridge while do.heehee forget about the last one. cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wow.. my tank is same as yours and my lights only half of your.. you really have high lights.
    Anyway.. my glossos are thriving..

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 6/14/2003 11:33:42 AM

wow.. my tank is same as yours and my lights only half of your.. you really have high lights.
    Anyway.. my glossos are thriving..
    ----------------
    Can you give me more details about your light setup? If I can also cut down my lighting to half of what I have now, I can save on my electricity bills.

What is the size of your tank? What type of lights are you using?

My tank is 42" long, and I find that 1 MH pendant does not spread the light enough to cover the entire tank length. Previously when I used PL lights also hanging 2-ft away from water surface, I find that the light intensity is not enough to penetrate the water properly due to the distance between the lights and the water surface, and plants don't grow.

thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    PLs are not meant to be hang 2ft away! Why are you placing the light source so far from the water surface? 3 inches would do if you find the heat troublesome.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/14/2003 12:04:14 PM

----------------
    On 6/14/2003 11:33:42 AM
    Can you give me more details about your light setup? If I can also cut down my lighting to half of what I have now, I can save on my electricity bills.

What is the size of your tank? What type of lights are you using?

My tank is 42" long, and I find that 1 MH pendant does not spread the light enough to cover the entire tank length. Previously when I used PL lights also hanging 2-ft away from water surface, I find that the light intensity is not enough to penetrate the water properly due to the distance between the lights and the water surface, and plants don't grow.

thanks.
    ----------------
    my tank is 4 X 1.5 X 1.5 ft.
    2 ft away from water surface? a bit too far right? mine not even 1 ft away.. maybe that explains why..
    actually a lot depends on placement of lights too.. i have 4X36 watts PL lights directly above those glossos.. thoe other parts of the tank have low light plants.. so im not so worried.

Feedback Score
    my tank is 4 X 1.5 X 1.5 ft.
    2 ft away from water surface? a bit too far right? mine not even 1 ft away.. maybe that explains why..
    actually a lot depends on placement of lights too.. i have 4X36 watts PL lights directly above those glossos.. thoe other parts of the tank have low light plants.. so im not so worried.
    ----------------
    If you take a look at my tank, you will understand why it is 2 ft away..

this picture was taken when the lights were off...