Thread: Eheim 2222 or 2026?

Feedback Score

Eheim 2222 or 2026?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi people!

I'm considering whether to buy a Eheim 2222 or 2026. The factor that i'm most concerned with is ease of priming. My tank dimension is just a mere 73cmx19cmx24cm and i know a 2222 can already do a good job,but i'm attracted to the ease of priming with the 2026 priming button.Can you good people let me know the easiest way of priming the 2222 and help me save $90?

Feedback Score
    Hi neu

I'm new too. Also would like to know the answer to your question. I am at the stage of listing down the things that I want. Already decided that I'll be getting a 90x45x45, and thinking of getting Eheim 2026. Do you know whats the best price for E 2026 and where?
    Thanks neu.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/14/2003 7:33:08 AM

Hi neu

I'm new too. Also would like to know the answer to your question. I am at the stage of listing down the things that I want. Already decided that I'll be getting a 90x45x45, and thinking of getting Eheim 2026. Do you know whats the best price for E 2026 and where?
    Thanks neu.
    ----------------
    just my opinion.. if u can figure out a way of priming without the self priming fuction of eheim. u can consider Atman filters. think theres an italian brand Hydor also very good.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Check out this discussion on priming

Recently I found another priming method from a forumer:

Using one of those water siphoning squeezies, connect it to the filter outlet. Turn on the filter and start pumping the squeezie, the sipohning action will prime the filter.

BTW - Eheim ECCO series filters have priming function as well.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Thanks juggler. I read the link, but *sigh*, I'm more confused.

Feedback Score
    Hydor comes in three type Prime 10 , 20 , 30
    Price range from 80 - 150

for low budget you can try eitehr Atman or Jebao
    Jebao will be good cos it has self priming but not atman.
    price range from 60 - 98.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No need self-priming function if you are on a budget... its a very simple concept, the same one that allows you to drain water from the tank using a hose.

1) set up the filter.
    2) make sure valves are open.
    3) suck on the end of the outlet hose/pipe until water starts flowing down the inlet pipe (you can stop sucking at this point). The water will flow into the filter, fill it up and then go up the outlet pipe.
    4) turn on the filter. VERY IMPORTANT! NEVER, I repeat, NEVER turn on the filter BEFORE its FULL of water.

Notes:
    - Make sure there are no kinks in the hoses.
    - Completely empty the outlet hose before priming... makes things easier, less icky and less likely to fail.
    - Cut the hoses to the correct length so that they don't coil or loop... but don't make them so short you have problems moving the filter around when you need to access it.
    - If you detach the filter for maintaninance, but keep the inlet hose full of water (assuming there's a valve), there is no need to suck on the oulet hose. Just empty the outlet hose, reconnect the filter, open the outlet valve and then open the inlet valve. The water in the inlet hose will flow down and prime the filter.
    - You can also prime the filter in the same way by filling the inlet hose with water before attaching it to the filter.

If you turn on the filter and you hear a knocking noise like something hard is jumping around in the filter, it means:
    a) the priming failed and left an airpocket in the impeller (the propeller like thing) chamber.
    b) you did not read pt 4 above and turned on the filter before the water filled up the filter.

Several ways around this:
    1) empty the filter and re-prime.
    2) Tilt or shake the filter so that the airpocket escapes up the outlet hose.

It really is a very simple process and concept. In you understand the concept that allows you to drain water from a tank using a normal hose, you can understand how this works.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. Went to 5LFS yesterday - to look at everything especially filters. Info will definitely help when I go 'shopping' again.

Feedback Score

Hi people,

thanks for the numerous replies. I've actually tried the siphon pump method to prime my eheim before..erm..actually that is why i'm thinking of buying 2026,because all i've to do is push the button and save the hassle. But i guess i'll have to pay more for that. I've considered Atmann before but people told me if i can afford the money,try to go for ehiem as it won't break down so easily. Aiyo...i'm in a dilemma.

Qio,petmart in serangoon is selling 2026 for $240 in seems like a good price to me. If anyone out the knows somewhere that's cheaper..please share,thanks. 2222 is bout $150 at most of the places.

Feedback Score
    Thanks neu
    Been around to LFS, and most quoted $250. Different is some come with media filter, some don't.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    how many times are you going to prime your filter?
    it is not frequent, once in a blue moon.
    for filter cleaning, shut off the pipe taps and water will remain in the hoses. refill the filter fully after washing and restart the filter. no need for priming.
    but if you have the budget, by all means go for one with priming function.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/19/2003 9:58:06 AM

how many times are you going to prime your filter?
    it is not frequent, once in a blue moon.
    for filter cleaning, shut off the pipe taps and water will remain in the hoses. refill the filter fully after washing and restart the filter. no need for priming.
    but if you have the budget, by all means go for one with priming function.
    ----------------
    Very right. I only primed my 2222 filter once when I set up my tank 1.5 years ago. After your filter cleaning, you only need to top up to the brim with the old tank water, connect up and power on, and it will run as per normal.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    tawauboy & juggler, ya what you said make sense. that's why newbies like us got to learn from experts like you ....
    thanks

Feedback Score
    [:]
    Thanks for the advice guys. But the problem is..that was what i use to do with my 2222. Fill it up with water after cleaning the filter,connect it and switch on the tap. The water will just move back and forth on the pipe. I've to plug and unplug the electrical supply sometimes for more then ten times.That was how i got to the siphon method with a pump. Please advice. Really,i don't want to waste money too as i'm on a tight budget.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    if no air gets into the hoses and you have filled your filter to the brim with water, you shouldn't have any problem in getting your filter to pump.
    you said you need to plug and unplug the supply a couple of time. to get the filter to pump? do you hear any guggling noise coming from your filter?
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Before connecting the hoses to the filter, I look at the water level from the top of the filter and top up to the brim through the 2 holes. At least that's how I do it.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Well, here's my trick to priming....

Go buy a Ehiem tube connector with the on/off valves and connect them between the filter inlet and outlet hose with hoses.

The trick is to turn off the filter and switch off the valves to ensure no water leakage. Then, after washing filter, simply connect the hoses back with the connector. TURN ON THE OUTLET HOSE CONNECTOR first to ensure that the water flows back into the filter and only air is filled within the outlet hose. Also ensure that open end of the outlet hose is NOT SUBMERGED in water. Then turn on the inlet hose which being filled with water, gushes down into the filter and water will follow through as pressure works their way in and out...After filter is fully filled, turn off the filter switch and WALA!

Hope you guys understand....
    Where there is water, there will be fish...