Country
    Singapore

Re: Nav's Iwagumi Project Log "Greater Heights"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Fei Miao View Post
    Finally have some time to look at this thread, I'm flattered to see my little tank here. Justin explained the flow and energy in Iwagumi very clearly, hey, you should do a more comprehensive article and have it as a sticky.

Iwagumi scaping is probably among hardest thing in aquascaping, if it's wrong, there's no hiding it Behind all great iwagumi scape is the understanding of the japanese psyche, something I still have not fully apprehended.

Navanod- the hardscape is probably the hardest part but absolutely necessary to have it done well. With time and patience this scape is going to turn out great! Next will be the choice of plants and fauna, keep it simple. I'm looking forward to it.
    Agreed, hence I'm resisting putting water into that tank till I'm happy with the hardscape!
    I just did an underwater side by side comparsion. Sadly, the 2 types of rocks will not look good together. Waste $$$

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi again,

I've finally narrowed down what rocks I have. The original rocks are called Yamaya stone or ADA 山谷石. According to ADA USA, this rock does not affect the pH and GH.
    This site is where I got my final confirmation dued to the many excellent detailed photos

http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_...a32760e991.htm

And I cannot resist linking this post that shows the stones underwater, beautiful
    http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/4233-post1.html

If its not right to link, please let me know...

Apparently, this is only carried by ADA so I'll probably make a trip to Woodlands again once my eye is better.

As for the newer rocks, they're either Seiryu, or Ryuoh. I'm thinking its the latter dued to lower price and easier availability.
    ADA USA says:
    "The RYUOH STONE is almost identical to the Seiryu Stone in terms of appearance and texture. It has distinctive characteristics just like ones of the Seiryu Stone, sharp and sheer edges and fair grayish-blue color."

Either way, anyone interested to take these newer rocks off my hands? They're of little use to me at the moment.
    Last edited by Navanod; 11th May 2010 at 18:16.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

either sell it off, or keep it as you may have use of it for a rescape, or another tank
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Fei Miao View Post
    either sell it off, or keep it as you may have use of it for a rescape, or another tank
    That idea did cross my mind since I have a miserable looking office tank that can use some rocks...I'll put them up for sales and see what happens

Here's the latest rescape, moved the main rock forward and managed to get a "step" in the slope in front

Ran out of soil though...will open up another bag of Amazonia 2 once the rocks are confirmed in positions.
    This is the horizon I had in mind...I wonder if the slope will be too steep on the right side of the tank?

I'm thinking that I can probably get away with not getting more small rocks but instead, use plants to break the shape of places that looked unnatural.
    Current plan is to use US Fissiden grown on pebbles in strategic spots.
    Here's a small batch of algae/pest-free US Fissiden I had been keeping aside for this very purpose

Also have something interesting that I'm still thinking of incorporating

And of course, the ever popular

These are all freshly planted into a tub of amazonia 2 soil and the aim is to just keep them alive. Saw some snails in them already
    Will soak them with my usual chemical warfare before actual planting.

OT: The eye's better already after some antibiotic eyedrops and cream
    Last edited by Navanod; 12th May 2010 at 00:12.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

heee heee, looking good
    i will be camping here.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan

I think the height you are planning is fine on the left side..
    Agree that the right side is way too high and the impact of the scape might be lost at that height.

Also i feel that so far, your 2nd rock arrangement was the best in terms of rock positioning. The latest one, on the front left side just looks like one big cluter of rocks with no direction again. Space is a friend in iwagami. I think iwagami is hard because we need to find that balance.
    Oh.. did you save some small rocks for later when the soil has been topped up?
    Last edited by ranmasatome; 12th May 2010 at 01:30.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome View Post
    I think the height you are planning is fine on the left side..
    Agree that the right side is way too high and the impact of the scape might be lost at that height.

Also i feel that so far, your 2nd rock arrangement was the best in terms of rock positioning. The latest one, on the front left side just looks like one big cluter of rocks with no direction again. Space is a friend in iwagami. I think iwagami is hard because we need to find that balance.
    Oh.. did you save some small rocks for later when the soil has been topped up?
    It is as I had feared...
    I think I'll forget bout making a specific slope/step and just focus on getting the depth and distance right. That slope had so far been just a technical nightmare with no visual appeal i.e contributes nothing to the iwagumi'ness.
    Will probably make a more gradual slope on the right with just 2 or 3 rocks protruding so as not to kill "space" (which is what my step/slope seemed to be doing)

I'm out of small rocks I'm afraid...maybe if I remove some from that slope area, I can put them to better use. Otherwise, its going to be US Fissiden pebbles in place of the smaller rocks
    Or another long journey to woodlands for more rocks!!

Thanks, your pointers had been very insightful!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan

Actually.. you still might be able to create an illusion of steep slope and "step" with just your planting methods.. dont worry dont worry..

As for small rocks.. you can bury bigger rocks deeper so they just look small. Of course, showcasing their best face and direction.

Its looking real good man... also can't wait to see this tank up and running.. thats so exciting..keke

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

One more rescape, I quite liked it after getting rid of that bothersome slope thingies in front and just focusing on making the rock flow well with the main rock. Also angled the main rock slightly to point 45 degrees to the back rather than straight up and to the right

There's actually a rock behind the main rock that can be seen with 2 eyes but not with 1 (ie. the camera's). The reflection in the glass...

The only eye sore is that medium rock at the rear on the right, poor character, I'm trying to turn it around but the shape looks odd.
    Think I should top up abit more height on the right?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

You need to top up some powder soil to seal down the normal soil gap. Yes, right side need abit more soil and you're almost done. Looks better now.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    You need to top up some powder soil to seal down the normal soil gap. Yes, right side need abit more soil and you're almost done. Looks better now.
    Thanks for the tip
    Is that really a must? Budget's getting tight and them powder soil is not cheap! since it'll be more or less fully covered with plants HC...

I've also always wondered why we can't just crash some normal aquasoil into powder...sshhh...I hope Mr Amano would forgive me for having such dark thoughts

In addition, I'm quite happy that I have so much powersand (I added more bags in the last rescape) and lava chips in the under gravel as my earlier concern was too thick a soil layer creating excessive dead zones of anaerobic activities. That was also why I stayed off the powder soil as well in hopes that air exchange can take place better in the soil.
    Ideally would've liked the visible portion of the front glass to have the powdered soil but $$$...
    Last edited by blue33; 13th May 2010 at 00:59.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan

Actually i think if you're just going to plant it all then its not a big difference. Wont be seen anyways.

I've done a very rough photoshop (hope you dont mind) and moved your rocks around..
    what do you think?

In the above picture i topped up the soil on the right just a tad.. but like i said.. no need to.. just trim your plants there longer to maintain the gradient of the slope that you want in your scape. Since the plants will finally be determining that, then that is the majority of what you need to worry about.
    I've also moved some rocks around... don't know what you think.. haha..
    There is one rock that is not used... i think this way..when its all green liao...everything will look slightly more natural (rocks behind not going from big to small)
    Last edited by ranmasatome; 13th May 2010 at 00:52.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Use Gex powder soil on top, much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    Thanks for the tip
    Is that really a must? Budget's getting tight and them powder soil is not cheap! since it'll be more or less fully covered with plants HC...

I've also always wondered why we can't just crash some normal aquasoil into powder...sshhh...I hope Mr Amano would forgive me for having such dark thoughts

In addition, I'm quite happy that I have so much powersand (I added more bags in the last rescape) and lava chips in the under gravel as my earlier concern was too thick a soil layer creating excessive dead zones of anaerobic activities. That was also why I stayed off the powder soil as well in hopes that air exchange can take place better in the soil.
    Ideally would've liked the visible portion of the front glass to have the powdered soil but $$$...

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    Use Gex powder soil on top, much cheaper.
    Hehe, did a quick check online...seems the GEX is roughly 25%++ cheaper (but its comparing kg to Litres, not very accurate, could be even cheaper since 3L of ADA may be heavier than 3kg)

But the good thing is that its sold in tiny packages of 800g and 2kg. Thanks again, will see if I can fill the front glass portion up and have some on hand to cover any odd patches that the plants missed

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome View Post
    Actually i think if you're just going to plant it all then its not a big difference. Wont be seen anyways.

I've done a very rough photoshop (hope you dont mind) and moved your rocks around..
    what do you think?

In the above picture i topped up the soil on the right just a tad.. but like i said.. no need to.. just trim your plants there longer to maintain the gradient of the slope that you want in your scape. Since the plants will finally be determining that, then that is the majority of what you need to worry about.
    I've also moved some rocks around... don't know what you think.. haha..
    There is one rock that is not used... i think this way..when its all green liao...everything will look slightly more natural (rocks behind not going from big to small)
    Fwah!! PS skills also coming in liao. You surprises me
    Can the HC lawn be height manipulated that easily to maintain a slope?

Yes, I think your rock placement looks more natural. Perhaps less is really more! I'll rearrange tonight and post again, thanks!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan

Most plants can be manipulated, is just a matter of how much.

HC usually grows to about 2inches thick or so maximum before it detaches from the gravel..so anything within that range, i think, is fine. If you're going to use long grasses then the range is even larger .

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Some updates

Topped up soil on right and tried out 2 layouts

Which is nicer?

Also took great pains to change out the front soil to GEX powder! I had initially added a small amount of water to the tank so that it wets the soil up to 5cm. This helps me level the front as well as hopefully starting some bacteria growth. If I hit wet soil, I know to stop digging.
    That "cleverness" backfired when I wanted to replace the front soil with powder! Ended up crushing alot of the wet soil and smearing mud all over the front glass. Basically a PITA to clean up.
    Now that its done, I noticed that the GEX soil is ALOT more absorbent than the ADA! I'm not sure if its because its powder, or the actual composition. Water is able to wick much higher up and wet all the GEX when the ADA stayed dry at that height. Might be good for the DSM...

Speaking of which, I'm also planning to start planting HC soon but quite abit of melting occurred in my tub of HC although I kept it uncovered and well aired on the window. Turns out there's still too much water and those HC at the side were semi-submerged and melted.

Read up on Tom's DSM and realized that he cranked up the CO2 after adding water to prevent melting. That throws a wench into my plans.
    I had thought that I can plant the lower slopes first, then move upwards, slowly flooding the lower areas where the HC had matured.
    Now I realized that those lower HC will probably just melt since I'm not going to be able to supply CO2!

So now the plan's to just do DSM for the lower slope areas and then just flood the tank and plant HC on the upper slopes coupled with aggressive CO2 injections. Any thoughts on that?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

bro Navanod,
    the attachment is some idea for you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
    bro Navanod,
    the attachment is some idea for you.
    Hahaha, thanks bro. That thought did cross my mind too, I do have a spare diffuser and a mini powerhead Boyu 601 that may be able to work but lets see how the phase 1 goes

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan

If you're asking my opinion.. i prefer setup 2

As for HC.. just be careful with it growing on brand new ADA soil. It might not be the methods you choose.. it might be just that the soil exudes so much no3 or is so acidic when it first contacts water, that it melts HC, or any other sensitive plants for that matter, to bits. But that said, amazonia 2 isn't as bad as amazonia. Lets see how it goes.

Don't get me wrong.. it is one heck of a good soil though. Just need to be realistic on its past properties.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast