Images
    Country
    Singapore

Plants not doing well

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I bought 2 pots of stem plants about 3 weeks back and they're dying. One of them is Ludwigia Repens and the other looks like Cardamine Lyrata but is very much bigger with thicker stems.

The Cardamine Lyrata look-a-like leaves turn yellow and die off while some of the stems also starting to rot at the bottom. I planted them individually onto the subtrate.

The Ludwigia's stem is turning black from the bottom slowly going upwards. The leaves are also dying from the bottom up. For this plant i tie them loosely together with a those weights that come with the plants.

Tank : 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft
    Lights : 2 x 39W on 8hrs a day
    Substrate : Seachem Flourite (without any base fert)
    Fert regime : 0.5ml of Seachem flourish, 5ml Seachem potassium - both at twice a week.
    Non CO2

I have less than 10 fishes which i feed daily. What am i missing that's causing them to die?
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Plants not doing well

Sound like due to not enough light reaching the bottom. According to aquarium plant handbook, Ludwigia Repens and Cardamine Lyrata require strong light.

by the way from the seachem web site, seachem flourite does not contain Nitrate and Phospate.
    Last edited by Shadow; 5th May 2010 at 22:02.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I thought feeding the fishes regularly is enough that's why i didn't add Nitrate and Phosphate, besides the seachem flourish contains little traces of both. I bought these 2 plants thinking that they are more hardy stem plants but now looks like i'm wrong.

Any recommendation on nice and hardy stem plants that i can keep in my tank?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Water Wisteria - Hygrophila difformis
    Water Sprite - Ceratopteris thalictroides

There are maybe other stem plants that can survive low light. I hardly do low light tank, can'r give you better advice.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the inputs. Hope the low tech bros here will be able to give more inputs.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

have you tried burying some fertilizer sticks underneath the substrate? That might help.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by collins View Post
    have you tried burying some fertilizer sticks underneath the substrate? That might help.
    Talking about this make me I've had my planted tank with the same scape for a couple of yrs now. I've tried probably everything over the yrs from high tech to low tech non CO2 and it either have very bad BBA infestation (high tech) to plants like my crypts not doing well in low tech.

From high to low tech non CO2, i've inserted root tabs like Ferka and Wondergrow around the crypts but they just won't grow bushy. It was only when i fertilise regularly with Seachem Flourish (for Micro) and Seachem Potassium that i see a bit better growth on them but they just look don't get very bushy even after months - i'm refering to the present low tech non CO2's fert regime. Btw i've tried inserting root tabs and not dose any liquid ferts and they don't do very well but when i also dose liquid fert they start sprouting new leaves which will peak and stop sprouting new ones. Basically they'll just look abit better thats all and not flowrish even after months.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Sound like due to not enough light reaching the bottom. According to aquarium plant handbook, Ludwigia Repens and Cardamine Lyrata require strong light.

by the way from the seachem web site, seachem flourite does not contain Nitrate and Phospate.
    Some updates..... I let the stem plants float on the surface but they are still dying with the shorter stem plants dying first followed by the longer ones. If the plants are rotting from the lower portion when planted onto the substrate, why are they still rotting even when i let it float to the surface? Is there a possiblity that the lighting duration is not long enough?
    Last edited by aquarius; 16th Jun 2010 at 20:54.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've had HM dying on me when I first planted them into my tank. My HC has been growing steadily though. Point is when this happened it occurred to me that some of the stems of the HM might have been infested with some sort of disease or it could be some other problems which I haven't really confirmed.

But in any case I didn't want to take any chances and I used the method which Tropica suggested, I cut off all the browned out stems and choose the healthier specimens and then I replanted all of these. Now my HM are growing in a 'crawling' effect which is a very healthy sign.

You might want to try this out.

Lastly, you have not included all your water parameters so it is quite difficult to pinpoint your root of problem and I'm using 3WPG with pressurized CO2.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cyprus

have a problem in my 230 lt tank. Ive been running my tank for 5 weeks now. Although the fish seem healthy, my live plants are rotting away. They start with little holes, and then they rot away. All my plants are affected. Until few days ago, my annubias seemed fine, but they also got affected. They have little holes and black spots on their leaves while all the other plants are rotting away.

I have removed one plant completely because it just rotted all together. At the roots there were some black dirt (and smelled very bad).

Im usuing FLOURISH substrate in bottom..and then covered it with gravel.

Recently i had problems with high ammonia and high ph. I just managed to regulate that to about ph.7.5 and ammonia about 0.2mg.

However my phospage is very high at the moment.

Im also using IRON supplement by SEACHMENT and EXCEL.

My light stays on for about 8 hours per day. Using T5 bulbs.

Water temperature: approx 27-28 celcius

Can you help? I have done research on the net , and i found some possible causes: cryptocoryne rot, high phosphate.

I would appreciate your help.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe you can be more specific so that the bros here will be better able to help u.

Tank : ?ft (length) x ?ft (breadth) x ?ft (height)
    Lights : ?tubes x ?Watts
    Ferts : what other ferts you using besides iron suppliments
    Fert regime : amount (ml) and how many times you fertilise a week/mth etc.
    Any CO2 and if have, by how much?

What plants are you keeping? eg stem plants, ferns, crypts, nanas etc

High phosphate and nitrate should not cause the problems you describe with your plants. If your crypts are dying, it could be they are still adapting to your tank conditions since your tank is only 5weeks old.