Images
    Country
    Singapore

help ??? Green Water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    what is the best way to get rip of green water????
    - change 20% of water every day and reduce light to 50%
    - use of UV filter
    - use of liquid chemical.

pls give some advices.
    very sian.... in seeing my plant tank having green water. []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    When was the last time you clean your filter? Check if your filter is clogged with rotting stuff.

Check if there is any stuff decaying in your tank, including driftwood.

UV filter is a good tool to remove green water. Use it with partial water changes.

If you decide to reduce lighting, you've gotta total black-out the tank. Cover the whole tank with black paper or blanket. Cut light & CO2 for 3 days.

Avoid chemicals. They will harm plants too especially some delicate ones.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/17/2003 10:41:50 AM

what is the best way to get rip of green water????
    - change 20% of water every day and reduce light to 50%
    - use of UV filter
    - use of liquid chemical.

pls give some advices.
    very sian.... in seeing my plant tank having green water. []
    ----------------
    The fastest way in my opinion is the use of UV filter. And use of any chemical is strongly discouragd.

However, it is critical to identify the root of the problems after the immediate remedy.

It will take about few days to clear the green water using UV filter, after that switch it off. Perform water changes of 20%, test the water condition for PH(preferably caliibrated Electronic tester), KH, GH, NO3, PO4 the next few days, needless to say, get the test kits if you ain't got them but stay away from those all in one test kits. Monitor closely if the greenish water is coming back.

You may want to post your results if you need further advise.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    as from what i know, For planted tanks, this is not a good solution to have UV light as it will also oxidize trace elements needed by the plants and will limit the plant's growth potential.
    but from what i read, all said use UV light will help. as from u guy r the same. willing to give it a try,
    then how much $$$ need to get one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Using UV to treat the tank temporarily is ok. Afterall, the algae is taking up the nutrients and blocking the light anyway, so the trace elements are next to useless for the plants anyway.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    and what r the basic test kits required.
    n what r all this for "ph,kh,gh,no3,po4......."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    UV can be expensive for some folks and the oxidizing of nutrients is still a mystery...why not do the 3-5 day blackout method as suggested, aerate the tank and make sure that no light get in there...no feeding during the period is best as it minimize risk of light getting in there. (Don't worry, your fish would be fine for the short period.) Next, you would need to correct the conditions that cause the greenwater. Why not give us the details of your tank and fert regime for us to help you.

Okay, pH and KH test kits help you determine you current CO2 level using the table formulated for this purpose.
    Nitrate and PO4 are the biggest things to watch for nutrients as kits ain't available for testing of each and every micro which can be a PITA. When all nutrients are in place, you would be a drop in N and P..if you don't, you would need some detective work to find out what is limiting the growth.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i will go for the black-out method first,for few days. if it still dun work, i thinks i really need to get the UV light.[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Black-out method will only clear up most of your algae temporarily, but if you aren't doing a proper fertilising regime, it will invade again as soon as you finish with black-out/UV light.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    UV is the pretty easy
    Diatom filtration also works well, takes about a day or two, the UV about the same.
    Daphnia is the "natural way" but fish like to eat these, so this might not be an option.

If you have relative moderate lighting, you should be able to blackout the tank with a reasonable chance of sucess.

Higher light set up seem to have residual GW issues more so than the low/moderate light values.

I like GW for algae studies since it's easy to induce and easy to get rid of and doesn't effect the plants much except for light blockage.

If you do the blackout, make certain you cover everything very good, no light is to be allowed into the tank. Gloss and some other plants might get "leggy".

Do 50% water change etc before, blackout, then remove the CO2 and add aeration for the 3-5 days.

GW causes: virtually every case is linked to a small excess of NH4 build up.
    Mucking your gravel up and doing a big hack, cleaning your filter issues, to NO3 or CO2 also can induce GW.

But the main thing that will for certain induce is NH4.
    I've added everything(NO3 + everything else=no GW) but adding NH4 and you'll get algae everytime.

I think the best general plan for any algae issues, is to get rid of it first, then give the plants what they want so they can do their job, grow and remove nutrients.

When the plants are not growing well/healthy, the algae will. So cater to the plant's need, have the CO2 cranking, do water changes and add the nutrients, KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4 and a Trace mix. You only add 4 things and perhaps some baking soda and GH(Ca/Mg) builder once the CO2 is set.

But always double check your CO2. It will burn you everytime no matter what level you are at. Make sure it's good before moving on to the 4 basic nutrient additions.

A healthy plant with a decent supply of CO2, PO4, K, Traces can remove the NH4 produced by all the fish/critters etc much better than a stunted "limited" plant.

This will help prevent GW and other algae later. But if you doa big change to the tank, do a big water change right after, this will reduce a good deal of the NH4 etc pulled up.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think of the cloudy/green water of my tank, it make me NO mood to work.. very down sain......

so, if e black-out method dun work, i might go for e UV filter,
    do give some advice on the UV filter, like what brand to look for, cost(cheap) and the most important thing where do i get it (LFS).
    my is a 3ftx18"x18" tank.[] []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just a thought... For those of you who want to use UV but don't want to buy it, consider borrowing. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few units hanging around... if you ask nicely, maybe someone will lend it to you.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    need to see whether the blackout method work or not , if not as Allen said
    , borrow UV filter from someone.
    just to check is it advisable to get one UV filter..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    daphnia is the solution! think give up fish first.....keep daphnia...breed daphnia....than keep back fish and feed them daphnia. heehee some nonsensical stuff la cheers