Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Aquasoil Disaster

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    We know we shouldn't dump KH powder/baking soda direct into the tank because it will turn aquasoil to dust. Now there is another thing we gotta watch out.

That night was doing my new setup, after I layout my base fert and ADA aquasoil, I filled the tank will water and was thinking on how to arrange my plants. Since my plants are still in the pots, I placed the pots into the tank onto the aquasoil, moving them around to test which position its best to plant them.

After a while I noticed some surface area of the Africana soil turned from brown to yellowish. I used a tweezer to swirl it a bit and to my surprise those yellowish grains break down to dust/mud and start to cloud the tank. Puzzled by what happened, I removed all the pot plants first and realised that there are many areas affected, just directly under where I placed those pot plants. Most areas even have the circle shape of the pots. From what I can see from the side of the tank, the affected aquasoil had melt down into mud, about half inch to a inch deep. Everything happened within only a few minutes.

I guess something gotta do with those pot plants, my thinking is those mineral wool/rock wool.

I pulled out a piece of mineral wool, took out a good aquasoil grain and wrapped the mineral wool around the aquasoil grain, waited a while and checked that grain of aquasoil again, it had turned powdery and almost dissolved.

So watch out for the mineral wool when using aquasoil.
    Live and let live, stop using life feeds.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I m aslo using the amazonia soil. Will the low ph kill my yamato shrimps? Bcos previously heat kill it. Now I had installed fans, so much cooler. Always below 29-30. But still die. I notice once I put it in they will eat greedly but after few days to a week, it slow down.Then die. wonder anybody got this encounter?????[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How is your CO2 thingy, like how much and did you inject throughout the night? My yamatos die usually because of nighttime oxygen level low and temp higher than daytime, because I didn't on fan during lightsout.
    Live and let live, stop using life feeds.