Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

SOS!!! PLEASE READ!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    First of all... THANK GOD!!! I finally managed to find a site dedicated to nature aquarium concept based in Singapore!!!

I have been a keen follower of Amano's ideals, currently am trying to find a 2ft tank suitable for planted concept. Am currently on a 1.5ft tank, planted too but the GLOSSOSTIGMA isn't doing well. No doubt it's due to my LOW lighting of 11W PL only cos the other plants (Crypts and some unidentified ones) are doing well and multiplying like crazy.

What i REALLY need help is HOW ON EARTH do you guys manage to get 2ft tanks with such high wattage of lights? My tank isn't hooded... light is mounted on top (real ugly). Been looking high and low for a hooded tank with at least capacity for 2 tubes, but NONE at all!! The Juwel tanks look great, but only provide 1 x 15W, which is pathetic! Been to the Arowana Competition in Parco Bugis to tank-hunt, saw one with 3 X 11W hood, but dimensions are 60mmx45mmx45mm... too wide for my cabinet
    []

So please can any kind souls here show me the light? I want a hooded 2ft tank with at least 2 x 18W capacity... on that note what filter do all the 2ft bros here use? I think internal filters spoil the view leh, but external ones like Eheim are much too big for 2 ft tanks. Anyone know of a suitable external filter for 2 ft tanks?? Thanks a lot!!! []
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, the only thing you can do is buy any two feet tank with hooded lighs, then bring the lights to ADA Nature aquarium (around thomson area) and modify the lights to PL. One PL can go up to , if I am not wrong 36 watt. Well, you can call them to ask.
    Take care

You can do the upgrade yourself, if you don't mind DIY. It's quite simple. I just replaced all my normal fluorescent tubes with PLs. Look around on this forum for the wiring instructions, or I can help you if you need. Nature Aquarium is a good place to find the hardware. I would suggest a 36W tube for a 1.5ft tank, and a 55W tube for a 2ft tank.

Regards,
    Kevin

Feedback Score
    Eheim 2213 canister filter has the suitable flow rate for your 2 ft tank. I have a 1.5 ft planted tank too and am currently using a internal eden 304 filter. The filter is quite small in size and quite pleasant looking, aesthetic wise, But before deciding on deciding on the correct filter to get, it is important to do your measurement and calculations because you do not want to overfilter or underfilter.

I am planning on making a trip to Bugis Junction to catch the exhibition too. I saw a few planted tanks on display a few days back when they were setting up for the exhibition. The arowana competition is also a BIG draw hopping to get some ideas so that I can do a combination of both and make a new home for my aro []

cheers

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One 36W PL will fit over your tank just nice. However, most light sets with this combo is 2 feet long, so you need to DIY, which is quite simple. See here for an example.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/22/2003 9:31:28 AM

Well, the only thing you can do is buy any two feet tank with hooded lighs, then bring the lights to ADA Nature aquarium (around thomson area) and modify the lights to PL. One PL can go up to , if I am not wrong 36 watt. Well, you can call them to ask.
    Take care
    ----------------
    It's NA Nature Aquarium. On Thomson Rd, opp Thomson Medical Centre. near the Thomson Rd/balestirer Rd junction. See LFS list on the top menu bar for address and contacts.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi.
    I think your lighting for the 1.5ft tank is too low. Especially, if you are planting such plant which need high demand of lght.
    Actually, i do have lighting for sale for your 1.5ft tank. Look under the buy,sell,trade section to know more abt the 1ft Boyu Pl light.
    Thks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    NTD = sorry, but its more likely new tank syndrome etc.. properly quarantined they shouldn't die from NTD just out of shop.. (depends where you buy)..

if you want something that's been quarantined at the shop for a long time,, try gan's fish farm (see lfs list). get the cardinals.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Loupgarou, that's his signature...

Darkkon, put a couple of dashes before your sig like Loupgarou. I got confused by it too, the first time I read it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Suggest you go to a two-feet tank, as the "odd-sized" ones gives problem in terms of availability and choices of equipment like lighting. I have an 80cm (2ft 8in) so I have the same problem. I am using an 2½ft light with extension arms, not so easy to find.

Once you're on a 2ft tank, you can go to Nature Aquarium as have been mentioned, the boss is Chan and there are lots of choices and he can also help make some modifications. Suggest you forget about the good looking tank with hoods as very soon you will discover the heating problem. Most of Nature's lights are using electronic ballast which produces less heat, although cost a little more.

One other caution is to try to get light sets that is filled end-to-end with the tube, i.e. one end should not be occupied by the ballast. FL/PL tubes have very little coverage beyond the end of the tube, so if you have a single 36W tube over a two feet you will end up with a dark spot on one side. Alternatively if you use two sets side-by-side (72W for 2ft is OK for high light plants) then reverse one of the set so that the tubes' coverage is "staggered", although the centre will be very bright.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello everyone thanks for all the tips and info I can't express how happy i am to find a Singapore-based forum on planted aquarium!! Was very fustrated cos all the "ideal" products i came across are all from some overseas website []

Well HWCHOY you are absolutely right!! My PL light covers the whole 1.5 ft, but the tube itself is only 2/3 the length... dark spot was always a problem... I won't make the same mistake again in my 2ft tank venture!!

I took the Eheim catalogue from the Aro exhibition in Parco, checked that the 2213 recommended by HUSKY and it says that it is for 250liter tank max. From what i know 2 ft tanks only 60-70liters... still can use? Please advise bro HUSKY...

Actually these few days i been reading a lot about PL lights... but seems that PL lights dun really address the blue and red specturms of light plants need? Saw many conventional fluorescent light tubes (both ends got pins one) have all the fancy technical aspects that supposedly support plant growth... any bros here got experience? So besides the hunt for a hooded tank (now easier think will just go NA for modifications) i also deciding to go PL or stick with FL. Can advise? [:]

As for the Neon Tetra Disease... well to be frank i might be wrong about it. Some symptoms match, others don't. Bought 10 neons only 4 left. Generally symptoms are bulging eyes, rapid breathing, loss of color and appitite, curve in spine. Can anyone pinpoint this to new tank syndrome or really some disease? I bought them 10 for $3 at a local neighbourhood AQ, but saw East Point (Pet Safari, Sam Yick corner) selling at $1.80 each!! Why such a huge difference leh?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/22/2003 7:21:01 PM

I bought them 10 for $3 at a local neighbourhood AQ, but saw East Point (Pet Safari, Sam Yick corner) selling at $1.80 each!! Why such a huge difference leh?
    ----------------
    Hi,

I think what you bought is Neon Tetra and you saw at East Point is Cardinal Tetra.

-FND->

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nope i was sure it was Neon Tetras... in fact i know most places sell at 80 cent per fish already much higher than the 30 cents per fish which i paid... heard can get 20 cents at an AQ somewhere near Dorset Road.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Here are Neon Tetra Disease symptoms:

Fish infected with Neon Tetra Disease will show signs of becoming pale in color (white patches beneath their skin). The fish will not school with the others and become listless. Through the latter stages of the disease the fish body will begin to degenerate.

Usually the tail end of the body will seem dwarfed and becomes useless, this will cause the fish to have trouble swimming. Upon witnessing these symptoms, death is imminent, consider euthanasia.

To my knowledge there is no cure for the disease. I have seen the disease many times and have yet to see it become an epidemic. The disease will however continue to infect your fish until the cause has been remedied.

Neon Tetra Disease is usually caused by stress due to poor water conditions, shock (dramatic change of environment), or being harassed by other fish. The disease is fatal but it will not kill them that quickly. It is a degenerative disease that goes through many phases and may take weeks before they will die, the actual amount of time depends on the general health of the fish. The disease is borne of a cyst and it will migrate to the digestive system and eventually the muscles of the infected fish.
    - Michael J. Urmann
    =====================================================
    check ur water dude.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think you should scratch that sig. everyone is confused

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ooo, I am just responding to Darkkon's suspicion abt Neon Tetra Disease. So happen, I kept this disease information in my database from a late author.