Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Does this apply to all canister filter?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Does this apply to all canister filter?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Restricting Flow in Fluval 303

Actual Problem: I have bought a Fluval 303 that is rated for a 70G for my 30G tank.. As the outflow is too strong I reduce the intake by turning the knot of the "quick disconnect" that comes with it..

Will this lead to any problem? Or, is there a better way to reduce the flow from the spray bar.
    Aquarium Size: 30
    Aquarium Age: 10
    Type of fish: comunity..
    Number of fish: 30+
    Last water change: 161198
    Percent changed: 15%
    Primary Filtration System: Fluval 303
    Secondary Filtration System: nil
    Last Media Change: nil bought 161198

Water control via the valve should not hurt the unit as far as the motor or impeller. I would suggest that you limit the output only so there is never a case where the pump is being starved for water by the input, whereas the blockage should only slow the output.

I am not doubting your words but will that cuase the motor to overwork to overcome the pressure increase as the output diameter is smaller?

To my knowledge, there has not been a problem with reasonably decreasing the water flow with the valve. There is always the danger of damage should the valve be entirely blocked. The impeller will rotate at 3600 rpm (3000 rpm in 220V) no matter the amount of water the unit is pumping. Since the impeller is the only moving part, as long as the water is flowing to removre heat the unit will continue to operate for extended periods of time even with some flow restrictions from the valves.

Remember, there is nothing to wear in the motor, it is hermetically sealed and has no moving parts. Itis the impeller only that rotates, and if you are worried at all, inspect the impeller and ensure there is no wear. The only other problem with slower moving water is the build-up of heat from the rotation and motor coil that is not being taken away by the flowing water. This only becomes a problem when no water is flowing and the heat builds up. In this case it can become so warm that it will deform the internal plastic casing. To my knowledge this has only occurred when water is not flowing at all.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dennerle,

can you at least state clearly that the stuff you posted was taken from somewhere else, and that you yourself are asking the very same question? Folks would think initially that you are posting YOUR own question, but the stuff then turns out be some kinda dialogue between other people. I think this confuses and annoys people.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    answer:
    No, every filter is different.

eheim canisters can run with the outflow completely blocked without damage.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/22/2003 12:18:58 PM

Dennerle,

can you at least state clearly that the stuff you posted was taken from somewhere else, and that you yourself are asking the very same question? Folks would think initially that you are posting YOUR own question, but the stuff then turns out be some kinda dialogue between other people. I think this confuses and annoys people.

----------------
    yup its a dialogue taken from somewhere else. What i wanna know is if reduce the flowrate, will it harm the canister filter in any way? From the above article, it says no but wonders if it applies to all the canister filter.