Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: ADA (II) Soil + Coral Sand pH???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ADA (II) Soil + Coral Sand pH???

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi!

I am about to rescape my tank but this time, I am planning to use 1/3 Coral sand as foreground and background with ADA(II) soil. I understand these 2 substrates has completely 2 different buffering capacity. My question is. Can anyone predict what would be the resultant buffering capacity when these 2 substrates are used in the same tank?
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Keeping | Nannostomus Eques, Pseudomugil furcatus, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides, Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Corydoras hastatus |

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: ADA (II) Soil + Coral Sand pH???

Hi there,
    I think it definitely depends on the proportion of coral sand and ADA soil you shall mix. Plus, other water parameters like water pH, hardness will play a part in the final pH. Why don't you try mixing separately a small sample to get the estimated pH instead?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

why don't you use something elese instead of coral sand?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm predicting that your pH in the long term will most likely tend towards neutral or the more alkaline range.

In the shorter term you are likely to see higher than neutral pH levels as the acidity in the water caused by release of acids from the soil will cause calcium carbonate to leech from the aragonite sand.

The calcium from the coral sand will neutralize the humic acid from the soil and when the soil loses its pH lowering effect (which will likely be relatively quickly with this type of substrate mix) the aragonite sand should continue to buffer the water and keep pH levels higher than neutral for quite some time.

Any specific reason you are considering this type of substrate mix? If you are trying to maintain pH closer to neutral, there are other ADA soils you can consider.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi everyone!

thanks for your comments! The reason I am using 2 substrate is just for aesthetic reason. Coral mainly because it kind of look nice (color contrast) and that i measured my tank water was quite acidic. So i was hoping a small amount of coral sand would help to buffer up the pH to near neutral.

Just a small question if the volume of the sand used (280cm3) is much lesser than the soil used (1500cm3). Will it have a weaker buffering capacity?
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Keeping | Nannostomus Eques, Pseudomugil furcatus, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides, Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Corydoras hastatus |

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

ADA soil already have buffering capability. It will maintain your ph to slightly acidic. If you want contrast you can use river sand instead of coral sand.

I never try putting ADA soil and coral sand together. In my opinion, it kind of waste. You use ADA soil that have pH and kH lowering capability but then you add coral sand to increase the pH.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yup. Thanks for the advice. I've changed to river sand in the end.
    Cheers!
    griffinkid