Singapore

BBA in relationship to pH value

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Here's something from the Krib...

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another nutrient which may be related to the sustenance of red algae is inorganic carbon. This exists in the aquarium as dissolved CO2, bicarbonate or carbonates. The equilibrium of these carbon species depend on pH. Free CO2 becomes available at pH less than 8.0 and predominates when pH is less than 6.5. In my experience, I have only seen red algae in low alkalinity, low pH conditions. Tanks with calcareous substrates will push the carbonate equilibrium from CO2 to HCO3- and red algae seem to diminish. Accordingly, I used to see beard and brush algae in my South American cichlid tanks, but never in the Tanganyikan tanks with their crushed coral substrate. It seems that red algae may be among those algae and water plants that can only utilize free CO2. On the other hand, some books suggest that adding CO2 will help eliminate red algae. Although this first appears to be a contradiction to my hypothesis, I believe this method is effective because CO2 injection helps to increase the rate of plant growth. As mentioned earlier, with a large density of plants and bright light, the plants will suck up dissolved nutrients and cause algae to subside. The same effect can be accomplished by CO2 obtained from aquatic organisms or decomposition of organic matter. Hydrogen peroxide and enzymes are also said to control algae. I believe this is due to a similar effect -- increased bacterial growth, which provides the potential benefit of increasing CO2 concentrations.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was surfing through wet thumb forum just now and saw this article.

My tank
    pH 6.0
    kh 35.8ppm
    PO4 0.1mg/l
    NO3 5mg/l
    Fe 0.5mg/l

Anyone have any view on this?
    After a few weeks of trying, I am sure high NO3 and PO4 may not be the cause. I have raise the CO2 level for the past week as suggested by brothers here but bba still come back. My plants growing pretty fast with the increase CO2. One thing is I never add baking powder to raise the kH.

Could the low pH help the BBA as the thread suggest?
    I have ask ah pek at Pasir Ris once to how most of his tank are free from algae (or minimal)? His reply is keep the temp down and raise the kH. I don't think his tank are that densely planted.

BBA article from thekrib

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    A better question for planted tanks is the CO2 level.

I've had BBA at higher pH's.

BBA does not get worse if you have and maintain 20-30ppm of CO2, regardless of the KH.
    But you still need to go in a get rid of what is there first then keep the CO2, NO3, K, PO4 all in a good range afterwards. It's been some ten years since I had my troubles with BBA, but I have never had it since but have helped many get rid of it.

You trim up your tank good(Remove all the BBA present), keep after the CO2 and nutrients, you'll never get it again.
    SAE's and Amano's are good for keeping it from getting started but they are not required.

The Krib is a bit outdated in some of it's information on algae.

Regards,
    Tom Barr