Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rare Plants or Limited Gallery

Feedback Score

Rare Plants or Limited Gallery

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    got nothing better to do, so I browse through the entire gallery to try to identify the types of plants I have.

go through all 45 of them and found out that the only plant in my tank found in the gallery is the umbrella plant.

My plants are rather common and bought mainly from 65 Sungei Tengah and Teo's. How come all of them are not found in the gallery?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    a) no contribution of plant photo (b) no nice pics, therefore never upload it (c) not common plant

perharps u like to show us your tank pic and let us ID them instead.. or else, you can browse through Dennerle plant database to help you identify your plants

it is good to own a plant book, i suggest the latest book from Oriental

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    cos the gallery is not comprehensive,

bandwidth costs money.

please read aquatic faq and follow the links, there are way better pictures/galleries there.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Strange that you went down to the professional (but out-of-the-way) Teo's and yet unsure of what you bought. They were very helpful helping me to ID the stuff I pluck from their 'ponds' when I was there a few months ago, despite putting some back after browsing the Oriental handbook on their shelf.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    unless you speak to teo himself, the rest of them are chinese speaking (not even mandarin sometimes..) so I dunno what it is... besides, so many plants are "tai yang chao" that its pointless.

pays to memorise every single aquatic plant

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi there. PacificNet (15 to 30MB) & Singnet (2Mb, pathetic!) boardband offer web space (unlimited bandwidth limit I think!). Maybe if you can rally some of the members to let out some space... the bandwidth problem solved.

I can volunteer once I switch to a Pacific account... currently web space used up for my own forum...

BTW what is the name of the 2 plants below?
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well, then picture contributions will be needed. and not taken off the web(cos of copyright violations).

so the question is: do you have a plant that's not already on the web..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/25/2003 1:06:14 AM

well, then picture contributions will be needed. and not taken off the web(cos of copyright violations).

so the question is: do you have a plant that's not already on the web..

----------------
    or rather, not found in AQ. If we are talking about things that are not already on the web, then AQ can considering closing shop.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Limsteel, the plant you have on the right is Mayaca fluviatilis, while the left one looks like the plant known as Rotala sp. Taiwan.

bingyan,

I must ask: how do you know that your plants are "common" ones? Especially since neither you or us (since no pictures of you setup are available) know what plants you have exactly.

i suggest you try searching on the tropica or dennerle online catalogues to match the plants you have before making assertions that are not backed-up.

No gallery is 100% comprehensive, considering that there are hundreds, if not thousands of aquatic plants species around. I would say the AQ gallery is a sampling (kindly compiled by people who have spared time and effort to photograph, edit, write and upload the material) that gives a "snapshot" of the variety of plants around. So i don't see the point of complaining about the AQ gallery not meeting your expectations.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Lim: We had a discussion on the Rotala sp. Taiwan earlier at http://www.aquaticquotient.com/phpbb...pic.php?t=4481

Budak: can confirm the plant is from Taiwan and not India?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    list of plants is huge.. some of which don't even appear on google.

eg: Justicia genduarussa - appears in zoologica's list of plants to buy, no idea what it is. may turn out to be a small coconut tree...

in anycase, due to copyright,you can't just take any picture off the net and place it on your site, unless the picture in question is public domain.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    Budak: can confirm the plant is from Taiwan and not India?
    ----------------
    Although it has a name that suggests the plant is from India, it is not from there. Although too it is imported from Taiwan, it does not originate from there. The plant is from Japan. It's known as Rotala indica var. uliginosa.

There's a story behind this plant and as usual, it starts with.....

In the old days.......only one fish shop had this plant. And they were planted in their display tank like the way rubber trees are planted in rubber plantations, individually in neat rows. Not all stem plants have to be grown in bunches, you know. If the stems are hard, stem plants can be planted individually to form an aquascape that looks like a mini-forest. It can be very beautiful, believe me.

Anyway, when the plant was available only in that fish shop, it was going for $15 and later $10 a pot. One pot would have 4 stalks at the most. Nowadays, the plant is so cheap they sell them in bunches tied to driftwood.

Funny how it is that when a plant becomes cheap, it also becomes less desirable.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Loh, you mean that plant was available since the early years? strange, only seen it at Bioplast last year or so and only they have them, no where else

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kwek Leong: You're the best! One of my mysteries solved. Thanks.

Initially, I thought this plant belong to the Bacopa family. It looks like Bacopa monnieria but with rounder leaves and closer leaf internodes. It is slow growing and very straight. I like it.

I found more info about the plant and seem like it is considered a "pest".
    http://www.weedscience.org/Case/Case.asp?ResistID=5144
    Resistance of Rotala indica Koehne var. uliginosa Koehne to sulfonylurea herbicides
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/24/2003 11:51:27 PM

got nothing better to do, so I browse through the entire gallery to try to identify the types of plants I have.

go through all 45 of them and found out that the only plant in my tank found in the gallery is the umbrella plant.

My plants are rather common and bought mainly from 65 Sungei Tengah and Teo's. How come all of them are not found in the gallery?
    ----------------
    Bingyan,

You said it best. 'got nothing better to do, so I browse through the entire gallery to try to identify the types of plants I have.'

Why don't you make yourself useful, come up with a plant database that is useful and perhaps host it using your own expenses or post to the moderator. All I can see is that you are whinning about others' effort. Pls quit whinning and make yourself useful!
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Bingyan,

Speaking about rare plants...I think you are rarer than plants..Instead of contributing postively to AQ, you chose to critise it...

BTW, what's an umbrella plant? You tell me...

[]
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wynx,

Take it easy, okay? : )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ok guys, I think we going alittle overboard.. lets help newbies/beginners understand how AQ like to be run

bingyan, we appreciate all the suggestion you have given for the improvement to our site and we are looking into some of the stuff. Also, we are dependent on the contribution of the members, example pics, articles, links

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    Loh, you mean that plant was available since the early years? strange, only seen it at Bioplast last year or so and only they have them, no where else
    ----------------
    Well, not that early actually. "In the old days" could be quite vague a term, you know [] It could mean anything from a few years ago to a few decades ago. I can't remember the year but the plant was already around long before Bioplast at Boon Keng Road or Mr Fish at Joo Chiat Place came into existence. In fact, Robert Choo himself will confirm that the plant was sold at $15 a pot in the old days. He told me once he bought many pots when he was still a hobbyist so he should know the old prices well.

Some of you may wonder why if the plant originates from Japan, we don't see it in Amano's tanks. The answer probably is as Juggler found out - The Rotala indica var. uliginosa is considered to be a weed in Japan. No self-respecting aquatic gardener will grow weeds in his tanks, would he?[]

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    limsteel, if you are in need of spaces and needs a place to upload photos only, try http://photos.yahoo.com/. It has 30MB of free space.

This should suffice to most people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast