Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: some kind illness with my cardinal

Feedback Score

some kind illness with my cardinal

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    guys, need your advice of wat to do,I have notice a few of cardinal have something like a white rope or dunno isit worm grown beside their mouth.Would like to know wat kind of illness is that?And wat medication is needed for them as I hope after put some medicine,the plant will not be affected.Anyone can help me to solved this problem or share with some of the cardinal lovers wat medication is the best to treat this of diesease.Thx in advance.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    notice any blister-like sore on the body? I'm not good at diagnosing sickess.. the closest I can think of is anchor worm

Feedback Score
    nope,there is no blister ard their body, just the small tiny white rope or worm grow beside their mouth.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi srad. My tetras had this before too and I lost a few fish to it. Until i read on some website about a certain parasite (sorry, forgotten both the website and the name) that is similiar to this. So i followed the treatment recommended on the website. I took the infected emperor tetra out of the tank and pull the white string out of the fish with a tweezer. Then i treat the fish in salt bath or medicine for healing wounds and yes, the fish survived. However, i must say, do this at your fish's risk. If you still want to do the above treatment, wet your hands first before handling the fish and be careful not to hold the fish too tightly. Also, don't hold the fish too high above the ground lest it jumps and falls from your hand.

Hope your fish get well soon. Regards.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi srad!

Does your fish swells at the part where the worm like thing is attached? I encountered once b4 and it seems to be a nematode after some fellow hobbyists from aquahobby diagnosed it for me.

The treatment mentioned was to take the fish out and use some solution, think it was methyl blue, to dab an ultra teeny bit of it onto the fish to burn the skin and worm,leaving the fish jumping like crazy bcoz it VERY painful! Then put the fish back and let it recover. Success rate not high. It's the last resort u wanna try. However, it's beat letting the fish die since there is still a dash of hope!

In my case, I did not use the method but I tried some TC tablets from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Juz to try my luck b4 using that last resort and it healed. Perhaps it was not nematodes in my case but it was the closest to my situation after searching the net for a proper diagnosis.

Somehow, I noticed (in my case) that tetras and emperors seems very susceptible to such weird diseases. Dropsy seems common for both while nematodes seem to be common among emperor.

One more thing from those guys at aquahobby, they mentioned that emperor seems to be affected by nematodes most of the time and they were suscepting that the affected fishes were from the same batch. According to them, they got their fish exported from here or neighbouring countries. Well, no flaming please, I'm juz quoting from what they told me the other time.

Hope the above info helps!

Cheers!