Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Qns on fertiliser

Feedback Score

Qns on fertiliser

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm currently dosing Potassium Sulfate(K2SO4), Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4) and Fe2+ plus trace elements.

Is this gd enough? Am I lacking any nutrients?

Tks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/27/2003 3:34:09 AM

I'm currently dosing Potassium Sulfate(K2SO4), Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4) and Fe2+ plus trace elements.

Tks
    ----------------
    Bro,
    which product do you use for your Fe2+?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/27/2003 3:34:09 AM

Tks
    ----------------
    I come to realise that MgSO4 is nice to have but can do without, our tap water more than address Mg and Ca if regular water change is done. If you still want to dose it, go easy. However, it will be handy to have some of NO3 from either KNO3 or Ca(NO3)2. Get a suite of fert for your N, P and K. You may also need PO4 but in very small amount or maybe later. Lastly, a good Trace.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dr. Mallick's LUSHGro-AQUALiquid contain almost all the stuff needed... and it is reasonably priced... need anyother to supplyment?

Nutrients
    Nitrogen 7.179
    Iron as EDTA 1.683
    Copper 0.025
    Potassium 51.711
    Manganese 0.612
    Molybdenum 0.016
    Sulphur 16.667
    Boron 0.314
    Magnesium 2.942
    Zinc 0.092
    Other minerals traces
    Vitamins traces

I see lack in phosphorous(P), calcium(Ca), maybe in traces as specify. I wanna switch to this, Any comment?
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I encourage the use of Aqua. But keep some PO4 (Seachem Phosphorous or KH2PO4). And Ca, get it with your regular water change or add coral.

With just 25ml per 50L, it will give you the targeted requirements per week. I use it without qualms along with Micro; some PO4 and recently CaCO3 tablets. Keep some PMDD stuff if you can afford too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's good if your bioload is balanced and not high. The Aqua contains NO3.
    Lack of Ca not a problem. TMG also don't have Ca. Ca can come from our tap water if you do frequent change. Also a bit from fish food.
    For P, can come from fish food. This usually is not a problem if you feed your fish often. But if seriously low in your case, then can buy KH2PO4 from Dr Mallick as well.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How do you guys get your source of NO3, I use K2SO4, so getting KNO3 is out of the question right?
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You still can use KNO3 for NO3 but note the total K from both when dosing for NO3. Alternatively, you can use Ca(NO3)2(hydrated).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi geoffrey, just to confirm that you are dosing 25ml of Lushgro Aqua per 50 litres? I'm currently adjusting my dosage for this product in my tank and am sticking to its recommended dosage of 10ml per 100 litres. Will your dosage be considered more for a very heavily planted tank?
    Cheers

Feedback Score
    I'm currently using this set of PMDD + a calcium carbonate tablet after weekly water changes,

http://www.nature-aquarium.com/order.htm

I find that there is no NO3 or PO4 ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/27/2003 12:00:29 PM

How do you guys get your source of NO3, I use K2SO4, so getting KNO3 is out of the question right?
    ----------------
    NO3 can also come from fish food, especially bloodworms. I feed my fish generously. Measure your NO3 before you decide to dose NO3.
    It's only lately that I ventured into trying KNO3.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    There is one thing that Juggler's dosing differs from mine. Juggler depends on feeding for NO3 and it works for him very well. I chose to dose even when I know there are NO3 in my tank. To some extend, I must say my NO3 can be pretty high. Lot of my NO3 goes to waste during water change. I must say, it's a habit hard to change.

With regards to BigJohnStud (what a nick!), that is what I am doing now. Use to be higher with PMDD. With 25ml to 50L, you are getting 15ppm of NO3 and 25ppm of K. TE tracing with Fe at just 0.1ppm. I reckon that is a good target for a week for my tank and I think for most tanks too. Perhaps you may have pretty high NO3, say 10~20ppm, hence with that 25ml of Aqua, total NO3 is 25~35ppm right. That extra NO3 is not going to hurt much but that dose will give you, for sure, 25ppm of K; 1.4ppm of Mg; Fe at 0.1ppm and all the TE. Don't see much will go wrong with that dose and excess will never build up if you do regular 50% water change. That is the advantage of using Aqua, good N:K:Mg:Fe ratio IMO.

On the other hand if I chose to do PMDD, which I can too, I may not dose NO3 but I will still need to dose K, Mg and TE separately at those concentration regardless. My point is if you are using Aqua only, target your dosing using K. If you dose Aqua at a level to maintain a low NO3, you may get K or TE deficiencies. With that regime you can even do without test kits.

Please bear in mind that Aqua does not have Ca and P which will be needed at some point in time.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for my summary...
    Dr. Mallick's LUSHGro-AQUALiquid + KH2PO4 (mainly for P)+ Ca sources like Coral stone or Ca tabs (for Ca)...

will be a very comprehensive fert regime. Since K is on the high side... what's going to happen? Read that K actually promote the plant growth by increasing the absorption rate AND that K doesn't promote Algae... So what If too much? will those extra floating around do any harm?

next, Shrimp molt on a regular basis and they sometimes leave the shell (source of Ca) lying around... will these help increase Ca... If yes, I think more Yamato will find way into my tank. 1 stone 2 Fish!
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Read this and you will understand what excessive K will do to your plants. Some may dispute it but do what is best for you.

As for shells from shrimps and dead snails, yes, they have Ca. So do feedings. That is why Dr M did not include Ca in Aqua.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    BTW, you do not necessarily need to target you dose for K at 25ppm. At 20ppm, your NO3 is 12ppm and K at 15ppm gives 9ppm of NO3. BUT your TE level is going to drop lower. That is why I also encourage people using Aqua to have Micro too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ummm, Geoff, else where in Aquabotanic there were futhur discussions about K, Ca and Mg and some argue that K cannot block Ca and Mg (but Ca and Mg can compete with each other) reason being that K is monovalent and Ca and Mg are divalent.

I'm quite convinced that K cannot chemically block Ca and Mg because of this, but I suspect high levels of other nutrients and K encourage more growth and raises the plants Ca and Mg requirements, thus leading to deficiencies.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.