Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Moving my tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    If I had to move my 4 footer planted tank becos of my house renovation(abt 2 mths) and later move back and set back again. Any suggestion on wat is the best way to do it. How am I going to keep the fishes n plants alive w/o much death and effort.

Thanks.[:]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Errrr how far are you moving it. Just to another room or out of the house entirely?

I haven't tried this, but just an idea. Do this just before they come to move your stuff.
    - Disconnect all the hardware.
    - Drain out the tank water until only a few cm left.
    - Remove all fishes and put them in a pail/spare tank with aerator. Bag them to transport just before leaving the house.
    - Drain away the rest of the water. Leave the plants planted.
    - Lay a few wet newspapers on top of the plants. Just one sheet thick is enough.
    - Wrap the tank top with transparent food wrap or just tape plastic sheets over the top. These 2 steps are to keep the plants and the inside of the tank moist.
    - Make sure to tell the movers that when they get to the new place, the tank and stand/cabinet and related hardware must be the first things out of the truck and into your house. They'll plan the loading accordingly.
    - Once there, refill the tank, add anti-cholorine/chloramine (it's 100% water change!!!), hook up the hardware and acclimatise the fishes to the new tank slowly.
    - Remember to open the bags as soon as you can and to play safe, don't put too many fishes in one bag. Without the benefit of O2 that the LFS inject into their bags, the fishes won't have much O2 to last.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's better to retain 50% or more of the original tank water to pour back into the tank. Try to use jerry cans/pails/bags to store the water.

In a non-planted tank, I have experienced small fish being stressed [and died] with 100% of new water that has been aerated for a few days. When I changed to using aged tank water, no more deaths.

Sherwin should have experienced in this...
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yup, dont think you want to go through cycling again, retain some water from the tank. I too, moving my 4ft and 6ft when my new place is ready, and i roughly have a plan for the move.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    With the sand in it , it will be impossible to move as it is too heavy. How to carry? I think I got 7 bags of sand in it. 22kg* 7=154kg! w/o water and tank weight. I think is too heavy liao. Mayb my 2 footer can do it this way. Thanks.

Seems like I have strip everything apart and then to redo everything once my house is renovated.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I m trying to find a place to put my tank in my present hom while doing the renovation, if not I hav to shift it out.[]

Actually I got 4-5 tanks ranges from 4 foot to 1 foot. My planted 4 footer is my biggest headache.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just treat it as a new setup, problem is if you going to use back the gravel and base fert.. separation of both will be a headache.. that's why i intend to move my 4ft over first, set it up running and stablized before i move my 6ft, that way, the 4ft can be used to house all the other fishes

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I will give priority to the fishes over the plants, anyway, take this chance to re-scape the look. This is what I will do.

1. Drain the water. (keep some water if you can)
    2. Remove all plants (you may keep some and discard the rest)
    3. Remove all fishes and put them in a pail
    4. Remove the gravels and store them in big plastic bag, remember to separate the top gravel from the bottom gravel (cos the bottom will contains the base fert).
    5. Move your tank.
    6. Fill in the water and put back the fish, keep the tank bare for 2 months.
    7. You may float your plants in the tank or transfer to another tank with gravels.
    8. After the reno, just remove the fishes, drain the water and setup as it is new setup.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus