Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to feed cories in planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How to feed cories in planted tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all!

Can someone advise me on the following topic. Presently, I got 1 leopard catfish and I've been considering adding it into my planted tank but my concerns are:

1. how to feed it? It is so "blur" & always missing the food tablet right in front of it that it's so exasperating to view it during meal times

2. The shrimps will crowd around the tablet and carry it away to a corner and feast on it b4 the cory finds it

3. heard that once yamatos tasted food tablets, they wun go for algae anymore

Has anyone ever encounter such problems? If yes, how did you overcome it? Thanks!

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    No worries...LOL [] ...When your cory is hungry enough, you think yamatoes can beat him/her in terms of size? My yamatoes do carry those tablets but my cories are smart enough to go for the food and fight for it.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Just to share my experience
    I have about 20 tetras and 2 blur cories.

When I drop food, it got snap up before it has any chance to fall on the ground. I continue to do feed this way thinking that there is sure something landed onto the ground for the cories. After 5 days, my cories turn weak and stay motionless, after another 3 days, one cory dies.

I came out with a method to feed cories and manage to save the other cory.
    This is how..
    I pour some food (small bits meant for tetra, and I have dwarft cory) on my hand, get a long hollow tube (like the stick for the ballon, or like a long stiff straw), scope some food into one ends, put a finger over the opposite ends. And dip the tube (with the food) right to the tank bottom.

This way, the food will land onto the ground, even though the tetra will try to snatch, the cory do get a chance to have a bite, because bits get into the gravel and is difficult to get for the tetra.

Thats all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    just feed hikari algae wafers, or jbl novotabs

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Now I know why my cories died. [:0] They didn't eat. [] In fact one was psychotic. Kept darting from one end of my 4ft tank to the other end, bumping aside other fishes in the community only to bang itself on the other end of the glass!

Now my rocket tail pencil fish wouldn't eat too slow and shy, no fight when theres a feeding frenzy amongst the tetras. []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/28/2003 9:13:45 PM

... When your cory is hungry enough, you think yamatoes can beat him/her in terms of size? ...
    ----------------
    Peter,

My yamatoes beat my dwarf cories legs down when it comes to a food fight. []

That's why I had to setup a tank just for them (my dwarf cories) a few months ago. []
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mmmmmmm...maybe all my yamatoes and mosquito shrimps are cowards. My 3 cories act in groups though..2 male and 1 female..likes to spawn but never had luck with the eggs though.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My corys are "Blind".They can't smell thru' upper column of water and suck food in mid-air once is carried away be the Yamato. So they need to wait till the Yamato settled down before they go searching again.

Just started to feed freeze worms now inaddition to wafer since I can disperse the worms all over the ground for the corys. Yamato can only take a worm at a time. [] [] []
    Click to My Aquarium Blog
    I Love Corydoras, Planted Tank and Taiwan ( Singaporean )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have experience with cories that are crazy, go on hunger strikes and one that terrorise everyone in the tank.

This terror of a cory, would swim upside down, and gobble 80% of the food during feeds. Most fish stay clear of its path. Not surprising it has grown quickly to about 3 inches.

I've had albino cories that have their bellies turn a dark green an eventually croaked (died).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    haha!

It's so funny reading posts that describe the same scenario as my cory! []

Like Theo2001, my shrimps are too fast for the cory. And worse thing is they never leave anything behind for the poor cory.

So I guess the only conclusion is for me to try it out in my planted tank since everyone seems to have different scenario.

Thanks for all the useful input but it appears to me that it's better not to put the fish in. Sigh... the fish been with me for 7 years and juz a couple of days ago, it got driven out of my tank by my "stupid" dwarf cichlid. I was d*** lucky that the fish survive after falling from a height of 1m and almost dried up b4 I found it! Dun think I wish to put the little fellow at a risk of starvation or death.

Cheers![:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    From my experience, the best way to feed the cories is after you off your lights. I feed my cories with hikari algae tablets before I go to bed every night. It seems that these "blind" folks have no problem beating other fishes to their supper when it is dark....

Feedback Score
    hmmm... regarding that problem bout the cory's not eating.. i tink mine has no problem wif the yamato shrimps when it cums to feeding time.. the only problem now is that they are too active and spent most of the time swimming crazily up and down the tank and everywhere. hmm.. i haven experience yet the problem that u guyz haf described. all my yamatos haf like disappeared in my java moss.. dunow wat they doin oso.. []
    SEIYU SEN JIKO!!! TOP PIORITY GOES TO MOI FISHES!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i fed my 30+ cories with defrozed bloodworm, scattered throughout my 4ft tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I usually drop some King British catfish pellets to the bottom, then stick 2 tabs of Sera O nip on the glass for the cories in my planted tank. The cories will either look for food at the substrate or go right up to the O nip on the glass.

The other fishes get flakes or frozen bloodworms.

So far so good.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?