Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Chlorine

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Like to share some New Knowledge I got. Welcome to correct or advise.

The local taiwan show stated the Water Utility increased the Chlorine up to 5 times to combat SARs. However, my Corys looks ok thorughout this period. But I did add anti-chlorine/chloramine always when I do water change.

First Observation
    The talkshow done a simple experiment.

They poured the chlorinated tapwater into 2 cups. 1 of the cup he uses his fingers to stir the water.

Then he uses coloured tester on both cups. The unstirred cup changed colour to indicate chlorine present.But the one just stirred did not detect chlorine present !

Gee i am very very surprised. The expert advised that this is because chlorine is very readily absorbed by our skin in split seconds.

This implies we need to apply anti-chlorine before pouring into the tank to prevent damage on our fishes.

2nd Observation
    Since we readily absorb chlorine. (I am not sure our skin absorb chloramine since they did not differentiate them)

Instead of applying anti-chlorine solution, we can actually use our hand to stir before pouring into the tank. Save $ and trouble if the chlorine level is low and will not affect us at all in normal time. This may works if it does remove chlorine completely or reduce significantly. But I cannot confirm chloramine is removed.

This may explains why some pp fish tank has been using tap water w/o problem. Probably because we human have already absorb from the water accidentally.

3rd Observation
    They do another experiment. Plant absorb chlorine too. hmmm that News to me.
    So if you wash your vegetables directly from tapwater, the chlorine gets into your food. Cooking will reduce it.

This may also implies chlorine is absorb by planted tank so further reduce the effect on fish so some pp may not see a problem in their fish. Ofcourse effect on plant probably is bad.

[]
    Click to My Aquarium Blog
    I Love Corydoras, Planted Tank and Taiwan ( Singaporean )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmm...Very interesting. Too bad the talk show did not cover chloramine as well.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?