Thread: Vals as background plants

Feedback Score

Vals as background plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just sharing my experience with vals.
    I would not recommend it for the background unless you have the time to maintain the shoots from overgrowing into a jungle like mine or you know exactly which vals you are dealing with. I'm not sure what mine is but they are beginning to behave like the V. gigantea that can gro up to 2 ft long. A better option would have been to go for the Spiral vals or V. americana(i think). These are supposedly slower and dun grow as long.

I'm thinking of replacing them with crypts. Perhaps in groups of diff varieties. They grow slower and aren't as invasive(in my opinion). I see why some forumers here use it liberally in their tanks, to some very stunning effect.

What i worry is that I have read of N and P spikes that caused algae blooms with the removal these vals. any suggestions of overcoming this?

Thanx
    FB
    "In war, whichever side may call itself the victor, there are not winners, but all are losers."
    Neville Chamberlain 1869 - 1940

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I wouldn't worry about the N and P spikes unless your Vals are the only fast growing nutrient sponges in yout tank. My only worry usually is how it affects my fishes. The sendiments I stir up during every major rescape takes 12-24hrs before settling down completely. Fishes that rest near the bottom after lights off (Rams and cories) got ich a couple of times when the water quality deteriorated too severely.

If you really think you are going to get the N and P spikes you fear, get some floating plants and use them to soak up the excess nutrients.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Suggest that a 30-50% water change be done *AFTER* every major rescape. Learned from experience the last time when I removed 40% water and did a major replanting. All yamatoes died
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    some base fertilizer (if you have) will 'leak' into your water column. there are a number of ways to minimise this.
    you can start a siphon and stick the siphon near the plants you want to uproot. most of the base fertilizer that comes out with the roots will be siphoned out.
    if you are going to throw away the plants, uproot until the roots are visible and cut. it is okay to leave some roots in the substrate.
    change water after uprooting. this should minimise excess nutrients in your water column
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    how cum leaving the roots behind is acceptable? wouldnt it rot and decompose beneath and be detrimental?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I guess the only fear is that the remaining roots are to decompose, causing the substrate to turn anaerobic. I feel that the risk is low if we plant something at the same spot soon after clearing the area (Riccia and moss doesn't count 'cos they won't use the substrate at all).
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think if you are replanting over the spot, leftover roots should not be a problem. Anyway, after cutting the roots away, you can then pull out each one one by one to reduce the mess.

I'm not familiar with V. gigantae, but the smaller vals do not root deeply, at least not in my tank, so pulling them out hardly caused any mess.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Thanx for the advice guys. I probably would be getting rid of the vals soon. Anybody interested?
    "In war, whichever side may call itself the victor, there are not winners, but all are losers."
    Neville Chamberlain 1869 - 1940

Feedback Score
    i'm interested... how much do u have to spare? how much are u asking for it??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi.im interested in the vals too!