51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Anubias barteri var Nana suddenly turning yellow

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I got some issues with the Anubias species that I hope the experts here can help me. Recently, my Anubias nana, var "Gold" and var "mini" leaves suddenly turned yellow and one of the nicest nana gold leaves become yellow and all dropped off within 2 weeks, but the roots are still intact and healthy. The rest of the plants are doing very well especially the Hygrophila family.

From what I understand, it may be due to Iron deficiency and/or Nitrogen and Phosphate deficiency, but I put Wondergro macro, Seachem flourish and excel regularly into the tank, so what is missing?

Thanks in advance.
    A Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    My 2 ft tank
    Flora: Anubias barteri var Nana, var "Gold" and "mini", Crypto Wendtii, C.parva, Marsilea Hirsuta, Flame Moss, Hygrophila Polysperma, H.Violacea & H.Corymbosa, US Fissiden
    Fauna: Guppy, Pelvicachromis Pulcher, Nannacara Anomala, Laetacara Araguaiae 'Buckelkopf'

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Anubias barteri var Nana suddenly turning yellow

Come to think of it, is it possible of over-fertilised with the macro and micro on my side, and the nana's leaves are being burned, but the rest are doing well.
    My 2 ft tank
    Flora: Anubias barteri var Nana, var "Gold" and "mini", Crypto Wendtii, C.parva, Marsilea Hirsuta, Flame Moss, Hygrophila Polysperma, H.Violacea & H.Corymbosa, US Fissiden
    Fauna: Guppy, Pelvicachromis Pulcher, Nannacara Anomala, Laetacara Araguaiae 'Buckelkopf'

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Included some pictures for better understanding of the situation:

The above nana gold has since became bald, but I notice there are tiny leaves growing again.

This is an example of the nana leaves that I am having, some have turned totally yellow.
    Last edited by Aquanoob; 30th Jun 2010 at 17:34.
    My 2 ft tank

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

hi bro. care to share your light setup?

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My light is only T8 18W, far too "light" for a 2ft tank, but interestingly, the
    other plants like the crypts, hygrophila, bacopa, hirsuta are doing well. Anubias var Garbon is also growing well, the problem lies with with var Gold, nana and mini.
    My 2 ft tank

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i had that happen once to me. the old leaves will turn yellow but i noticed that new leaves start to grow after some time. Did the gold, nana and the mini have new leaves growing? if yes then that means that the plant is adjusting to your tank.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The bald nana gold has some tiny leaves growing, but it is very slow. The nana and nana petite is still having yellow leaves and I don't see any new leaf. The strange thing is that I did not change anything with my tank, and the nana petite and gold have been with me for about 9 months.
    My 2 ft tank

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Any guru can help with my nana's problem? It seems to be getting worse as my other nana are also slowly having the same problem.
    My 2 ft tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Same problem I encountered with my mini nana. Any bro's out there can help? The leaves of the plant is kind of like rotting and fouling the water...

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Vulk, care to share your tank specifications as well so that the rest can compare our situation. I am starting to suspect it may be due to the water temperature as mine can go as high as 30-31 C, but strangely that the rest of the plants are still doing Ok.
    My 2 ft tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bro, i use my nana plants in my betta breeding tanks actually. I just simply put the plant in a 1feet tank and switch on my clip-on dymax light about 12hrs a day. So I don't really have a proper setup for it. Haha. I heard other people using it because it's supposed to be hardy and doesn't need much lighting, so i tried it out too. Haha.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Hi bro, any solution to your problem? I am facing similar problem too. They turn yellow and slowly melted. The newly grow leaves also melted slowly. This happens to two of my tanks, 2ft with 55w and 1.5ft with 18w. Temperature is around 28-29 degree Celsius. I dose JBL fertilizer and Seachem Excel. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I don't have the solution yet as you can see, there is not much discussion in this thread by the gurus. Maybe is because Anubias is considered to be low-tech plant and won't die so easily, but somehow it is not the case as many have highlighted. My 2ft tank has only 18W of light, and I also dose macro, micro and Excel regularly. After I put on a fan, the temperature is still about 28C.
    My bald nana is starting to have small new leaves popping up, but it is very very slow.
    My 2 ft tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yah, same here. Mine also started to grow new leaves after it melted off. But as you said, it is growing very very slow. However, I did not add any fertilizers to my set-up. I guess it is a case of the plant acclimatizing to the new environment, where it sheds off it old leaves and grow new ones???

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

my nanas too.. the big leaves seem to drop off and they grow new leaves.. but the new leaves are very small and cannot seem to grow to the original leaves size..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

No intention to change to T5 light? I am using T8 at first then i change to T5 (seems better), leaves turn brown slowly but leaves still grow and also slow. i am on low tech and only use iron because of shrimp.

Wondering adding CO2 fasten up the growing process?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have few nana in my 4 ft tank with 4x 54W T5 light and 4x 36W PL so far growing fine and I can see one of the nana has flower bud and 2 bunch of "mini" nana in a 1.5ft tank sometime with light sometime without light(cause the light spoilt sometime it lights up sometime it does not) and the plantnets is turning yellow and slowly melting away.

It could be the light that is not enough try to increase the light for the nana.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chilla18 View Post
    It could be the light that is not enough try to increase the light for the nana.
    Any other supplement added? iron...etc

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nope I did not add any other "thing" for the plants, thou Nana is a low light plant I've notice that they still require a good amount of light for them to grow into nice green plant.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chilla18 View Post
    Nope I did not add any other "thing" for the plants, thou Nana is a low light plant I've notice that they still require a good amount of light for them to grow into nice green plant.
    Will bear in mind. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast