Country
    Singapore

Male Apisto Agazzizzi keeps dying

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hope someone can help me out here.

I had a pair of Apisto Agazzizzi (pardon my spelling). The male one (bright red) died after a month or so.

I bought a second pair and the same thing happened to the male after being in the tank for about a month as well. This time I noticed that its mouth was really swollen before it died.

No other fish had died in my tank in this manner. Now I am worried about my remaining male Apisto Bienta. Will it die in the same mysterious way ?

Any idea what can cause the male Apisto mouth to be swollen ? Too much kissing ?

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Male Apisto Agazzizzi keeps dying

apistogramma agassizii - correct spelling

please share your tank setup & all other necessary information. It helps all of us to help you.

maybe you did not change water?
    maybe you use limestone (dead coral) to decorate the tank which resulted in pH 8.0 or more ?
    maybe you keep it in bare tank - water change everyday and fish died?
    maybe you did not add anti-chlorine ?
    maybe you have some real tiger barbs that nip the apistogramma agassizii until he is stressed and eventually .... died ?
    Last edited by barmby; 1st Jul 2010 at 12:11.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Barmby,

It would seem my fish had died from dropsy, based on what I read from The Krib.. http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/diseases.html

I have a 6 feet planted tank. Only top up water and no water change, and siphoning of waste from main tank during water change.

I have 4 discuses, 7 angels, lots of rasboras and tetras, a few otos, 2 widowed agassizii, a pair of Apisto Bitaeniata (I think) and a single L1. All my fishes are doing well except for the male agassizii. Do they need extremely clean water ?

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Dropsy, stunt growth like sunken tummy could be due to old age. Also, they need pH lower than 7.0, it will help. However, I don't think so.. because your tank is very mature - and pH should be 6.0 range. I think it is your luck. Btw, please quarantine your new apistogramma next time before introducing it to your 6 feet tank. No joke if it spread disease to your other fish and no joke the plants react poorly to medication should the need arise.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It's possible that your A. bitaeniata killed the A. agassizii. If you have a territorial male bitaeniata that has established its territory in the tank (which could actually, potentially, be the entire 6ft tank), it's highly possible that your new A. agassizii ventured into the bitaeniata's territory and got mauled and died. This could easily have happened for your 2nd one as well. The swollen lips/body could have been due to post-death bloating.