Images
    Country
    Singapore

Another Goner

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    When I was young, I used to frequent those remote areas around my house, hunting for fighting spiders. I vividly remembered that I once visited a very nice stream and thought I would visit there again, to study our local biotope. I was there alone last Saturday and was very shocked to see it blocked out for construction. It happens that the local authority is converting it into another one of those cemented canal, and here are some pictures taken of the very little untouch part of the stream.

Natural Biotope Going soon
    PS: Click on the picture to view bigger version
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yet another case of the sheer callousness of locals (and their rulers) to the natural wealth amongst them.... to them a natural stream is just an undeveloped piece of land which needs to be controlled... I remember driving past the South Buona Vista forested area and someone in the car remarked, "So many trees and land, why haven't they cut down the place and develop it yet???quot;

Look at the New Paper article below and you see quotes like "It looks like a normal plant. I don't think anyone will notice it," and "Who will pay attention to this kind of thing?quot; by people who nothing great about a desert plant with flowerstalks nearly 3 m high.... and the only "connoissear" seems to think the natural world exists for the purpose of divination, "We call it the Fortune Tree. Once it blooms you will strike lotter."

That's heartland Singapore for you....

New Paper article

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It takes years for such a biotope to get establish. But only a few weeks to be destroyed.

Where is this place? Can share so we all can pay our last respects?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yah, where is it? Looks great. Such a shame that it is going be gone.
    Sure would like to visit it!
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/7/2003 12:31:44 PM

Yah, where is it? Looks great. Such a shame that it is going be gone.
    Sure would like to visit it!
    ----------------
    I felt quite reluctant to expose the exact location. Not because of protecting the place(its going soon anyway), but more of protecting the forumers. This place is indeed nice but it is also dangerous in a sense if someone tries to go up, close and personal taking pictures or getting samples, they could easily fall and get themselves injured. I witness an giant monitor lizard on the very day too.

However, just take care, try to conserve the nature and not only conserving the fish or plants for oneself, that would be my wish.

It is along Yio Chu Kang Road, exactly opposite the junction leading to Ang Mo Kwee(Can't remember the spelling) Camp. Another nearby land mark would be the Singapore Technologies building.

Should be around 15-20 mins walk from Yio Chu Kang MRT. Bus services quite alot but I had not took a bus for pass 10 years, so don't ask me the numbers.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...