Country
    Singapore

Help with New Tank Questions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions. I just started a 5 X 2 X 2 Tank. I am using EI method which I have been using very successfully on my 3 foot tank. However, recently I am starting to see Rhizoclonium and I am trying to quickly nip the problem before it gets out of hand. So here are my questions.

1. I am using 6 X 80 watt for this tank wwhich is 150 gallon. Which means it comes down to 3.2 watts per gallon. Is this too much for a 5 foot tank? I heard somewhere that the W/G for a bigger tank shold be lower than a smaller tank. And also I am just having low light plants like moss and bolbitis an java ferns in my tank. However, I have fissiden sitting on the bottom, which is 2 feet deep which is why I thought using more lights would be better to reach the fissidens at the bottom.
    2. I am using 1 CO2 tank situated at the corner of the tank. Is this enough? I am using like 5 bubbles per second but the drop checker is still blue. I have heard that the biggest cause of Rhizoclonium is low CO2 level and I have heard that for 5 feet tank, it would be better to use 2 CO2 one at each corner.
    3. So if I were to do something immediate, would you suggest for me to first increase CO2 (meaning add one more tank) and make sure the drop checker turns yellow? Or would you suggest I drop it down to 4 lights to go down to 2.13 W/G? and keep the CO2 the same?
    Thanks a lot. Please help me on this as I need to act on it soon. Thqanks so much everyone.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help with New Tank Questions

So basically, my question to summarise is.

1. Should I keep light as it is now (because I need more lights to reach the 2 feet depth), and increase CO2 by introducing another CO2 tank until drop checker is yellow or
    2. Should I decrease lighting and keep CO2 as it is now?
    I am leaning towards the first option but then I need to know from those who had experience if 2.2 watts per gallon is enough for a tank with 2 feet depth? Especially eith fissidens at the bottom of the tank.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

New setup? Have you put algae eater yet? How many hours a day does the light ON?

1. Fissiden does not really need lots of light so ~2 WPG probably OK
    2. I trust drop checker, assuming install correctly (kH = 4). Injecting from 2 or more conner will distribute the CO2 better. No need to buy new CO2 tank, just use those brass CO2 splitter. FYI my 3ft (50 gallons) tank is already 6 bps, so 5bps for 5ft probably too little. It is also depend on your diffuser/reactor efficiency
    3. If this new setup then I would suggest to reduce the ON time until your plants start to grow.

I never try 5ft tank, so I can only guess
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Actually I was thinking and my main worry as to why I added so much light is because I keep getting this info that 2ft tank too high and T5 will not reach the bottom. So I think this is what I will do

1. Do manual removal as much as I can.
    2. Do water change
    3. Do black out 3 days
    4. Reduce light to 4 X 80
    5. Reduce lighting period to 6 hours/day
    6. Add CO2 till the drop checker is yellow (Yes I am using 4 DKH)

Just to get a cleare understanding, for question 5, how long should I use this reduced lighting for before I increase to the normal 10 hours I use normally?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

And sorry missed out one thing. Will also clean the filters.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I normally wait until I see the sign of growth, which normally around 1 or 2 weeks.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I've already seen signs of growth. The fissidens are growing, the tenellus sending runners, the moss bubbling and green shoots coming. Ok So I will do black out and then see from there. Thanks a lot.