Thread: new to all this - please help

Feedback Score

new to all this - please help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Im new to all this, I was bought an aquarium for my birthday, after wanting one for years, very excited I bought all the books, set it up properly, waited a week, put in some neons, waited another week, I lost one neon but put it down to stress of moving. Then i went out and bought a fighter fish, 3 guppys and 2 blackfin corys, really excited now my aquraium looks great, i even named all the fish, then i got up this morning and one of the guppys had died, i was a bit upset, went to work, came home and my pride and joy fighter fish had died. Im so upset, i dont know why they are diying, i feel awfull, i dont want my other fish to die too. Am i doing anything wrong? Any advice?????

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The fish deaths are probably due to the New Tank Syndrome. Read up this few sites.

The Nitrogen Cycle
    Beginner FAQ: The Nitrogen Cycle, and "New Tank Syndrome"

If you need more information, just search for "New Tank Syndrome" at any search engines.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    fighting fish and guppies don't mix

Feedback Score
    hahahahaa.. but i tink dat you might be rather wrong cos i haf a fighting fish (crown tail.. hehe) and it is rather quite shy.. it doesnt really attack my guppies and moreover it only hides itself in its own self-appointed home. haha..
    SEIYU SEN JIKO!!! TOP PIORITY GOES TO MOI FISHES!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    must be the new tank syndrome.and wat abt ur filter type?and i dun recommend neon tetras for starters.they are not very hardy to new tanks.all these(and many more) are very impt.and i tink yes...fighting fish dun really bother other fishes,except their own kind.unless their territory is under threat.happy fishkeeping![]

Feedback Score
    Thanks for that.

So far so good, all the other fish seem fine, and happy.

Ems x

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Different bettas have different personalities.
    Have you seen a fighter betta? Each fighter has its own fighting style
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    lyon, you making it sound like some gongfu movie[]

all fishes have different characters

Feedback Score
    hahahahahaha.. since when did the craz bout bettas start? lol they are juz one of a kind.. elegant yet got character.. nice..
    SEIYU SEN JIKO!!! TOP PIORITY GOES TO MOI FISHES!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    come on, give the guy a break.

bettas (fighting fish) are known commonly to fight with the same kind of its own. I do keep betta myself with other fish such as swordtail and guppies and nope, it wouldn't even be a Lao Da. Oh..when I was young that time...end up with 3 tanks of guppies...heavy reproduction. []

Guppies, easy to keep and easy to die. I suggest you "serve" through their old age and consider introducing the "tetra" family. You could later consider Cardinal, Golden, LampEye, Albino, Albino LampEye, Blue LampEye, Black, Emperor, etc. skip the common neon tetra.

First of all, check your water change process. How did you do it? Get the water directly from the tap and pour them into your tank? If so, then you might want to consider aging the water in a small pail or like me, buy a small pail with a cap (dun close it fully), age it for 2 days before changing. How abt capacity? Normally I would do a 20 to 30% change weekly and a 100% change 3 months just to wash the tank and replant the tank.

Whats the observation of fish like? Any white spot or visible stress signs? That would, my friend, provide some signals. Give us your updates.

Feedback Score
    now you mention it when my fighter fish died he did have a white spot on his tail that i hadnt noticed before, what could that be???

as for the water, i used tap water.

i'll get a bucket and try what you suggested, see how it goes.

if you could get back to me on the white spot that would be great.

thanks
    Em