Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    That is what happened to my shrimps when my ram whacked them one by one. Witnessed with my own eyes. My ram is a lean mean shrimp whacking machine.[]

I lose about 2-3 a day.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I was refering to O2, not CO2. Though I must admit that symptoms of O2 deprivation (insufficient O2) and CO2 poisoning (too much CO2) are pretty much the same - rapid breathing, redden gills, ...
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BC,

Waah ... You can call your ram T-R (Terminator 'Ram') already.

My rams only bicker among themselves though I don't discount the possibility of them targeting smaller malayan shrimps once in a while. Cichlids are rather smart (opportunistic) fishes so perhaps the smaller size of my balloon rams have something to do with the lessened agression?
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    high ammonia due to overload of fishes causes the shrimps to turn red and die, nitrite could also be another factor.
    your tank is overstocked. reduced the number of fishes if your beneficial bacterial is not fully established yet.

Feedback Score
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice.

Let me try to get the temp down and remove the holland ram and see any differences.

[]

Feedback Score
    Puzzled!

Bought the Ocean Free 2 coil cooler fans...and the temp drop to 27-28'C. Huarry???

No. After the temp drop.....dun knw what happened....one each of mine SAE and OTO died....

As for the shrimps....was swimming quite happily one day after I on it. But today......
    almost cannot locate any...funny.

This really puzzled me.

[:0]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hahaha [] []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Suggest you follow C.Tetra's advise and reduce your bioload.

Good Luck!
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    seem i am left with no option if I want to keep and see the shrimp again!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a 14inch square tank (with an IOS that make the tank even smaller) and in it I have

25 tetra
    2 Cory
    4 buddy buddy
    3 Yamato

Total 34 live stock in about 40Litre water. Sound like more heavier bio load than your 2feet tank.
    But my Yamatos survive for 4mths already, just buy and dump it in without any 'quarantine'.

This is what I did, (this recommendation is only for people like us who over stock the tank)

I add a Air pump...it benefits in many dimensions...
    An air pump only cost $5.

1. Bacteria need O2 to function, it will make your bateria healthy and effective..Then no need to worry about Ammonia and Nitrites...Then will result in good water quality

2. The plant can never supply enough O2 at night, With air pump your fish will be happy.

3. When you fish happy, they will SH_T (Bang Sai) happy and in turns benefit the plant. You have to believe in Eco cycle, 'one affect the other'.

I went through all this, you can just spend $5 and carry out this experience.

Before, I got cloudy water, unhealthy plant, fish gasping after lights off, rotting plant, algae, slime on water surface etc..

Air pump realy do miracle... the pump is turned on 24hr, I add a valve and control the amount of air to be very little (just like CO2 coming out from diffuser, very small amount) so that the PH is not affected.

Believe me, all the above problem solve....to my supprise, I don't even need a surface skimmer...which I still don't understand why and how it help?..The water surface is totally clear and clean of any slime or protein layer??? (can someone explain?)

Anyway, it is only a $5 experiment.

Shrimp are sensitive to toxic in water and O2 deficiency, Fish can tolerate a higher level.
    The overstock cause an unbalance and a $5 air pump try to balance it artificially indirectly. Don't forget plant also need O2 at night to stay healthy.

Just observed the fish in the morning before the lights turn on....are they breathing very rapidly...Tetra has a habbit to stay below water even there is a deficiency in O2.
    As long as they are not breathing as smoothly as us, it is consider O2 deficiency.

TA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12